Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Having picked up the Crusader rear bumper from JCR I was very pleased that it came with a license plate relocation bracket.

However, at the time of purchase they listed the part number for the relocation kit and it was not accurate to any part on their site and there were no warnings. After using their Q&A function to point this out they have now updated their page with the following:

Ford Bronco How to: retrofit JCR rear license relocation for OEM wheels Screenshot_20230411_230003_Brave

https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/BR6RC.html

being the resourceful type I was keen on making the provided materials fit so here is how I modified their parts to work with OEM wheels at the total OTD price of $25.

You'll need two extended lugnuts, open ended, with thread through the full length of the nut. Unfortunately I couldn't find any single lugs for sale, so I now have 18 spare! LMK if you will end up doing this project and I'll ship you some for a buck plus shipping.

Ford Bronco How to: retrofit JCR rear license relocation for OEM wheels 20230411_162452

As you can see, I have a 1" bolt threaded into one of the lugs. Obviously you'll need 2, plus washers on each side to ensure a good surface mating.

You'll need to make a single cut on both the license bracket and the mounting bracket. You'll need to measure to ensure you leave enough material to extend past the rear view camera housing.

Ford Bronco How to: retrofit JCR rear license relocation for OEM wheels 20230411_162536

Ford Bronco How to: retrofit JCR rear license relocation for OEM wheels 20230411_162637

A few ugly tack welds and you've now inverted the mounting bracket to orient like \_/ above the camera and provide a more solid piece once tacked together.

Ford Bronco How to: retrofit JCR rear license relocation for OEM wheels 20230411_171340

Ford Bronco How to: retrofit JCR rear license relocation for OEM wheels 20230411_171334

Ford Bronco How to: retrofit JCR rear license relocation for OEM wheels 20230411_162750

I ensured the license would sit perfectly level by using an angle grinder with cutting disc, three mid-strength beers and both eyeballs. As always, YMMV.

Anyway, utilize the included plate lamp since license lighting is required by law. Since you'll have to pull this bracket whenever you need to rotate tires or use thr spare, a Waterproof Canon plug was used between thr extended wiring (see JCR's bumper install instructions for running the license plate wire through the tailgate)

You dont have to be too fussy as none of this is visible once miunted but I used a self etching primer and some spare black semi-flat lying around to protect the metal.
Ford Bronco How to: retrofit JCR rear license relocation for OEM wheels 20230411_181422

Sorry my cell phone pic editing skills are garbage, but you get the idea: (vehicle is sitting at an incline, the frame is remarkably level for only 3 beers)

Ford Bronco How to: retrofit JCR rear license relocation for OEM wheels 20230411_184338

And how far it sits out from the tire and camera housing:
Ford Bronco How to: retrofit JCR rear license relocation for OEM wheels 20230411_181907

While I wish I had known at the time of purchase this would have been required, hopefully it doesn't catch anyone else out and they can hack up the supplied kit far faster than I did as thr proof of concept took a while to gather the lug nuts and stainless bolts.

Everything @JcrOffroad sent was high quality, great materials used and they updated their website as soon as I informed them of the small issue. I'm happy with the final result and being street legal.
Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks crooked :sneaky: JK

Nice work Rick 🤠

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Nice job Rick

Please explain how the oem bore size was a critical issue with this relocation kit. The lug pattern is the same on oem and aftermarket, so how was the bore a no go? Maybe I'm reading too much into it or missed something, thanks.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice job Rick

Please explain how the oem bore size was a critical issue with this relocation kit. The lug pattern is the same on oem and aftermarket, so how was the bore a no go? Maybe I'm reading too much into it or missed something, thanks.
Experiencing same confusion, so it's not just you. Nice bit of fabbing but not clear on why it was needed. Followup - does JCR now offer a kit that fits stock wheels or is the website update (at your suggestion) all that was done?

OP
OP
Rick Astley

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Nice job Rick

The camera mount they provide is wider than a factory bore wheel. By their design the bracket mounts to the tire carrier and the metal bracket extends through the center wheel bore.

That's not possible with factory wheels so I'm relocating theer bracket to the outside of the wheel, not as it was intended to sit.

Obviously this is a different product (by LOD), but you get the idea. The wheel bore shown is much larger than the OEM wheel. The JCR bracket hits the wheel, preventing it from mounting on the carrier.

Ford Bronco How to: retrofit JCR rear license relocation for OEM wheels F146508774
Sponsored