Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
My thoughts on the subject are in a primitive form, not yet very well thought-out, but it seems like something worth opening a discussion.

As we wait for our Bronco, estimated to arrive some time in mid 2022, @Seanette and I have had conversations about places that we (mostly me) would really like to go and see.

Some of the places I'd like to go involve travelling fairly far from any real civilization, and into areas where there is no cell phone service. Places where, if we had a break down or other adverse incident, we could be stranded for a very long time, with no way to get help.

Two places in particular that I have in mind are the ghost town, Bodie, California, and some various far-flung sites in and around the Death Valley area.

It's occurred to me, that a community like this one could be used to organize trips to such areas, with groups of us traveling to and near the same areas, so that if any of us have a breakdown, we would have the ability to contact others in the group to get help.

I initially envisioned a group starting at the same place, all travelling together, going to all the same places at once. On further thought, it seems that this isn't really necessary; that participating vehicles could come from anywhere, meet at some agreed-upon base area within some civilized or semi-civilized area, and go from there. Perhaps, if we equipped our vehicles with CB or GMRS radios, we would even be able to go individually to different destinations within the area, as long as we didn't get so far apart that anyone is not able to contact at least one other member of the group by radio, if need be.

That's about as far as I've thought this through, as of yet, but it seems like the basic idea is very good.

At this point, I have at least two separate trips in mind, for which it would be a very good idea not to be alone.

I do not want to try to get anywhere near Bodie any time other than in the summer, and I do not think it is even possible during the winter or much of the early spring and late fall. W.S. Bodey, after whom the town was named (misspelling his name in the process) died in a routine blizzard, in November of 1859, and his body wasn't found until the next spring. That's the kind of winter climate this place has.

And I wouldn't want to go to Death Valley anytime except winter. Having been there once before, a very long time ago, in my youth, during winter I know that it is actually a very nice climate that part of the year.

I wonder if the @Administrator might consider adding a subforum for the purpose of helping to organize such trips.
Sponsored

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My thoughts on the subject are in a primitive form, not yet very well thought-out, but it seems like something worth opening a discussion.

As we wait for our Bronco, estimated to arrive some time in mid 2022, @Seanette and I have had conversations about places that we (mostly me) would really like to go and see.

Some of the places I'd like to go involve travelling fairly far from any real civilization, and into areas where there is no cell phone service. Places where, if we had a break down or other adverse incident, we could be stranded for a very long time, with no way to get help.

Two places in particular that I have in mind are the ghost town, Bodie, California, and some various far-flung sites in and around the Death Valley area.

It's occurred to me, that a community like this one could be used to organize trips to such areas, with groups of us traveling to and near the same areas, so that if any of us have a breakdown, we would have the ability to contact others in the group to get help.

I initially envisioned a group starting at the same place, all travelling together, going to all the same places at once. On further thought, it seems that this isn't really necessary; that participating vehicles could come from anywhere, meet at some agreed-upon base area within some civilized or semi-civilized area, and go from there. Perhaps, if we equipped our vehicles with CB or GMRS radios, we would even be able to go individually to different destinations within the area, as long as we didn't get so far apart that anyone is not able to contact at least one other member of the group by radio, if need be.

That's about as far as I've thought this through, as of yet, but it seems like the basic idea is very good.

At this point, I have at least two separate trips in mind, for which it would be a very good idea not to be alone.

I do not want to try to get anywhere near Bodie any time other than in the summer, and I do not think it is even possible during the winter or much of the early spring and late fall. W.S. Bodey, after whom the town was named (misspelling his name in the process) died in a routine blizzard, in November of 1859, and his body wasn't found until the next spring. That's the kind of winter climate this place has.

And I wouldn't want to go to Death Valley anytime except winter. Having been there once before, a very long time ago, in my youth, during winter I know that it is actually a very nice climate that part of the year.

I wonder if the @Administrator might consider adding a subforum for the purpose of helping to organize such trips.
My wife and I drove out to Bodie, CA about 20 years ago. Took her Chevy Cavalier. It was a fun time. Stopped by Mono Lake, too.

Administrator

Heritage
Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

OP
OP
Bob Blaylock

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
Both the the regional sections and the Clubs area would be appropriate for organizing drives and get togethers.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/forums/regional-forums.26/
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/group-categories/clubs-groups.1/
Possibly, but I am thinking in terms of where a group might go, not in terms of where anyone involved would be coming from. I'd expect a post in a place specific to a particular region to primarily draw the attention of people living in that region, more than people who might be prodded into thinking of traveling to that region.

The two destinations that I specifically mentioned as examples might very easily draw fellow travelers from the regions covered by the Southwest, Northwest and possibly even Rockies/Midwest forums as well as the California which covers where these destinations are located, and from where I would be traveling.

I'm also thinking I might, on what for me would be the same trip as Bodie, also want to go all the way out to Pike's Peak, in Colorado. (Both being destinations I would only want to try to visit during the Summer.) I'm not nearly as worried about being alone going to Pike's Peak, as it appears to be more well-traveled, and not so isolated from civilization, but if I wanted to have a group trip to there of the sort I am envisioning in the OP, I would hope for fellow travelers to join me there from places very far removed from my own home region. Throw in all the regional forums I already mentioned above, as well as a few even farther east.

And I wouldn't even assume that the same people who are interested in joining me at Bodie would be the same as those interested in joining me at Pikes Peak.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Im out in Hawaii and likely never able to join you all. However I reccomend you all start something like the Jeep Jamborees or Burningman or something somewhere in between.

OP
OP
Bob Blaylock

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
So would it be a herd of Broncos or a swarm?
Could vary quiet a bit, depending in the destination.

Just the two destinations that I mentioned in the OP would likely be handled very differently.

Bodie is a singular destination, along a very long, road, with no cell service available, and very far from any civilization. I imagine that any participants in such a group trip would meet gather at Bridgeport, spend the night there, then the next day, all travel to Bodie more or less together. Call it a herd, a swarm, a convoy, or any other collective name. That way, if any of us had a breakdown or other problem, we've have other vehicle sand people nearby to help.

Perhaps another group, coming from the east, might similarly meet in, and travel from Hawthorne, Nevada.

Once at Bodie, we could scatter, if we want, go exploring in different directions. There seems to be some stuff to see outside of Bodie, proper, but all within a distance that of anyone got in trouble, they should be within GMRS/CB range of the rest of the group, and able to call for help.

Leaving, we could leave individually, as each vehicle and its occupants decide they've seen enough, but the last three or four to leave in each direction should probably leave together.

Even if one vehicle leaves by itself, as long as it's not the last to leave in that direction, it can know that there will be another vehicle coming along that chose to leave later, and can render any necessary help if the earlier vehicle has a breakdown.

———

Now Death Valley is a whole different scenario. Death Valley is a very big place, with quite a few very widely-scattered sights to see. No cell service in most of the area. I think it obvious that if we have a group of any size, not everyone is going to want to see the same sights, in the same order. Some parts of the area are well-traveled, and others not so much. However many vehicle end up participating, it'd probably be wise for no one vehicle to wander off by itself, especially into some of the more remote, less-well-traveled areas. Perhaps travel in groups of two or three vehicles.

I think we'd be looking at a multi-day stay in the area for anyone to take in any useful portion of the sites. I'm thinking of the Amargosa Opera House as a base. It seems to offer the most affordable lodging, and is right near the entrance to Death Valley. Seems like a good place to initially gather, to spend the nights, and on each day, to organize which pairs or triplets of vehicles are going to go where to see what sights that day, and at the end of each day, to make sure everyone is accounted for, and nobody is lost somewhere.

———

I think I've done more logistical thinking about this kind of trip, just in the course of writing this post than I have in several days up to now thinking about the concept. Surely, there's a lot more thinking and organizing to do, before anything actually happens. But for me, I've got time. I don't have my Bronco yet, and “My Dealer Says” I'll probably have it around June-ish of next year.

A summer trip might happen not long after that, depending on other conditions, and a winter trip would certainly not happen until next winter, at the earliest.

Depending on how/if I manage to fit an Off-Roadeo attendance in, I'd probably try to fit it into one of these trips rather than making it yet another trip of its own. I'm leaning toward the Moab site, it being the more distant of the two that are within a days' drive of me, but I might consider the Texas site, even though it'd be more like two or three days to drive there, but would put me close enough to Laredo that afterward, I could go visit my brother there.

Much yet to be figured out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bob Blaylock

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
Im out in Hawaii and likely never able to join you all. However I reccomend you all start something like the Jeep Jamborees or Burningman or something somewhere in between.
It would be rather inconvenient for you to drive out to meet with the rest of us, wouldn't it?

And just about as inconvenient for any of us to drive out to Hawaii to meet you.

Reactions: abe

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It would be rather inconvenient for you to drive out to meet with the rest of us, wouldn't it?

And just about as inconvenient for any of us to drive out to Hawaii to meet you.
One day when I do buy a Bronco I will be sure to try and stop by as many fellow 6gers as I can find on our big road trip. And if any of yall make it out to Maui for vacation come by Twin Falls to find me and we can out on some trails, if ya dont have 4x4 all my spare cars are so no worries. Alternatively there is this?
Ford Bronco Ideas about travelling in groups… 1637307682715
On my way.

Grayeti

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great idea, I like where you are going with this. My wife and I are very inexperienced off-roaders but excited to take our Bronco on some new adventures. Meeting and traveling in a group would great for us.

Sponsored

Deleted member 12876

I imagine I will have more fun and feel more adventurous with a solo Bronco. However Exponentially more risk involved, but that’s what makes it interesting!!

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You describe where many of us live. In NW Montana, cell service is sketchy at best. The terrain can range from flat and easy to extreme very quickly. How best to deal with it? Wheel with someone. If you wheel alone leave a plan with someone and an estimated return time. Carry gear with you that will sustain you for a day or two. A hand held GPS is a great safety tool. Know your limits and the limits of your rig.

Deleted member 12876

Great idea, I like where you are going with this. My wife and I are very inexperienced off-roaders but excited to take our Bronco on some new adventures. Meeting and traveling in a group would great for us.
Seems slow and dusty
And would remind me of bumper to bumper rush-hour traffic

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the right way to do it, but it seems there are a lot that just want to be left alone to their own around here. :( I don't get it. I personally look forward to getting trail runs organized. Disappointed by the lack of "Team spirit" around here I've even entertained the idea searching Marketing Nation again :rolleyes:. It's nice to be on the trail with the same vehicles in the group. You can learn a lot from others & get ideas about what works and what doesn't along with the friendship of like mined people & safety of not going alone.
Sponsored