Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Working on getting my hidden winch mount installed for the Bronco. Did the majority of the hard work over the weekend. Got the heat exchanger moved out of the way and the winch mounted.

Since then I've been working on my control box solution. I separated the controls from the solenoid pack and am mounting in different locations. I think the controls and disconnect mount looks super clean and is easily accessible. I just need mount the solenoid pack and finish running the wires to the winch.

After that I need to come up with a solution to move the engagement lever. I'm thinking a couple of swivel joints, some square shaft, and a bracket up by the radiator.

Installing with a HF Apex Badland 12000LB winch. Took the motor side cover off the winch because more space around that motor = less heat.

Also forgive me for my dirty engine bay, didn't realize it was getting that bad until o saw the pics. One more thing to have to clean after wheeling....

Ford Bronco Installing RC Hidden Winch Mount for 2.7 20220716_172211
Ford Bronco Installing RC Hidden Winch Mount for 2.7 20220716_172217
Ford Bronco Installing RC Hidden Winch Mount for 2.7 20220716_120407
Ford Bronco Installing RC Hidden Winch Mount for 2.7 20220720_155450
Ford Bronco Installing RC Hidden Winch Mount for 2.7 20220720_152830
Ford Bronco Installing RC Hidden Winch Mount for 2.7 20220720_152825
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bronc-Itus

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 F250, ā€˜88 4Runner(sold)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wanted to go this route. But living in Florida Iā€™m pretty sure that thing would be under water/mud the first time I needed it. But solid work on the install so far.

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Working on getting my hidden winch mount installed for the Bronco. Did the majority of the hard work over the weekend. Got the heat exchanger moved out of the way and the winch mounted.

Since then I've been working on my control box solution. I separated the controls from the solenoid pack and am mounting in different locations. I think the controls and disconnect mount looks super clean and is easily accessible. I just need to order a maxi fuse, mount the solenoid pack, and finish running the wires to the winch.

After that I need to come up with a solution to move the engagement lever. I'm thinking a couple of swivel joints, some square shaft, and a bracket up by the radiator.

Installing with a HF Apex Badland 12000LB winch. Took the motor side cover off the winch because more space around that motor = less heat.

Also forgive me for my dirty engine bay, didn't realize it was getting that bad until o saw the pics. One more thing to have to clean after wheeling....

I'm liken it. Plan to do similar once I find the bumper I want. Plan to do the Apex badlands as well. šŸ‘šŸ‘

Raskew

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco, 2018 Stinger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since then I've been working on my control box solution. I separated the controls from the solenoid pack and am mounting in different locations. I think the controls and disconnect mount looks super clean and is easily accessible. I just need to order a maxi fuse, mount the solenoid pack, and finish running the wires to the winch.

Can you speak more to what was involved to move the intercooler and where you moved it to?

Thanks

OP
OP
Jdyount

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you speak more to what was involved to move the intercooler and where you moved it to?

Thanks
Oh no, the intercooler did not move. It's the transmission heat exchanger for the 2.7. Rough Country supplies the brackets and they have detailed instructions. It is a pain in the ass.

You basically flip it over, but that heat exchanger has it's very own little electric pump that you also have to relocate, the. You have to cut the coolant lines that feed it shorter to fit the new locations.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I really wanted a good hidden winch option but just came to realize the only way it was going to work was for it to hang so low. Its too bad because it looks good that way, I just don't want to drag it on the ground, through the mud or through water.

OP
OP
Jdyount

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really wanted a good hidden winch option but just came to realize the only way it was going to work was for it to hang so low. Its too bad because it looks good that way, I just don't want to drag it on the ground, through the mud or through water.
The mount doesn't really effect the approach angle very much at all. It only sticks out an inch or 2 more than the factory bash plate.

Who cares if the winch gets wet, I've moved all of the controls. If I'm going to go through a big mud hole where I think I may get stuck I'll just connect the hook to my clevis on the bumper that way I don't have to reach down for it.

SwampCactus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Cactus Grey Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wanted to go this route. But living in Florida Iā€™m pretty sure that thing would be under water/mud the first time I needed it. But solid work on the install so far.
Same. I love how clean it looks but seeing how low it hangs seems like its a better option for the west coast people.

OP
OP
Jdyount

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just to be clear, this mount does not effect ground clearance whatsoever. It doesn't hang any lower than the factory cross member.

It does effect approach angle but only sticks out about an inch more than the factory bash plate. The other options (after market bumpers and mounts where the winch sits on top of the bumper) effect the approach angle a ton more.

The front bumper does get spaced outward half an inch with this kit.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The mount doesn't really effect the approach angle very much at all. It only sticks out an inch or 2 more than the factory bash plate.

Who cares if the winch gets wet, I've moved all of the controls. If I'm going to go through a big mud hole where I think I may get stuck I'll just connect the hook to my clevis on the bumper that way I don't have to reach down for it.
Well, one of the main points of having Bronco/Jeep type vehicle is clearance and I am not going to go through the trouble of buying one to add things that take away from ground clearance and/or especially approach angle. All I can see is that flat squared off face where the fairlead sits slamming into a rock or log instead of sliding over it. The mount looks good and I wanted the idea to work out badly but I don't want to hack parts of the frame off and move coolers around just to loose clearance.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jdyount

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, one of the main points of having Bronco/Jeep type vehicle is clearance and I am not going to go through the trouble of buying one to add things that take away from ground clearance and/or especially approach angle. All I can see is that flat squared off face where the fairlead sits slamming into a rock or log instead of sliding over it. The mount looks good and I wanted the idea to work out badly but I don't want to hack parts of the frame off and move coolers around just to loose clearance.
Good luck mounting a winch on a Bronco without changing the approach angle. It is impossible.

I'd a lot rather spend $400, chop a few useless brackets off the frame, move a cooler, and only lose an inch or so of approach angle than spend $3500 on something like an ADD bumper that sticks out a TON more than the factory bumper and scrapes EVERYTHING.

OP
OP
Jdyount

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The red line is where the factory bash plate sits, litterally uses the same mount. You lose very little approach, the way it looks from the front is super deceiving.
Ford Bronco Installing RC Hidden Winch Mount for 2.7 20220720_175610

Bronc-Itus

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 F250, ā€˜88 4Runner(sold)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Installing RC Hidden Winch Mount for 2.7 25C60852-602C-44A5-99C5-EAC286CF7951

This was my solution. Drops onto the recovery points. Iā€™m on 33ā€™s so couldnā€™t afford to give up that inch or so down low.

Donā€™t get me wrong. Yours looks super cleanšŸ‘

OP
OP
Jdyount

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Installing RC Hidden Winch Mount for 2.7 25C60852-602C-44A5-99C5-EAC286CF7951

This was my solution. Drops onto the recovery points. Iā€™m on 33ā€™s so couldnā€™t afford to give up that inch or so down low.
And completely blocks the front camera along with the ACC sensor (if equipped).

I really don't think that I'll hit the RC skid that much either way. I've wheeled my Bronco quite a bit and I have very few scratches on the factory bash plate. All about tire replacement on the obstacles.

glphoto

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Donā€™t get me wrong. Yours looks super cleanšŸ‘
If you have adaptive cruise control, you will need to relocate the sensor box, and I might be wrong, you might be blocking air intake for the transmission cooler.
PS: Nice setup!
Sponsored