Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I thought the bush in the foreground was the graphics on the front fender and was going to say how cool that looked. Then I thought it was a shadow. Wrong twice. 😂

This trip looked awesome; saved your map for future reference. It's close enough to home to go solo and looks like a great way to spend a weekend in serenity.
Sponsored

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you for sharing.

My Dad was stationed at MCB 29 Palms, Calif in the early 60’s. I did the 4th, 5th & 6th grades there. Did a lot of touring with my parents in Joshua Tree NM. I clearly remember camping with the Boy Scout Troop at Sheep's Head Pass (?). Not many people around back then. Would love to go back but hate places that are full of people. Its a 3 day drive from Houston anyway, so probably won’t be back. Too many other destinations on my bucket list.

Doing Big Bend Ranch State Park next week. Remote.

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just came back from a quick weekend trip to Joshua Tree. Packed up the bronco for a solo trip through Berdoo Canyon Road to my campsite at Belle. From there got up early to take up Old Dale Road to the 62.
Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 8.01.29 PM.jpg

When I was 24, I drove up Berdoo canyon in a Ranger Rover Sport on street tires at night alone with 2 gallons of water for "emergency" because my onboard GPS said that was the route to take to my buddies campsite. Yes I was an idiot. But it ended up being a trip of a lifetime making it through that canyon without damaging the car at night.
So, I was excited to be visiting this route again to see it in daylight in a more capable vehicle, a bit better prepared. Here she is in the canyon.
DSC04436-Pano.jpg

The canyon opens up to spectacular views called the Geology Tour.
DSC04450-Pano.jpg

DSC04456-Pano.jpg

DSC04439-Pano.jpg

From there it was off to my campsite at Belle. I got to watch a spectacular sunset and lighting storms in the distance.

DSC04541.jpg

DSC04587.jpg

The full moon lit up the campsite and night sky.

DSC04613.jpg

In the morning I got up early and made my way to Old Dale Road and took photos of the local fauna and flora on the way.
DSC04534.jpg

DSC04673-Pano.jpg

DSC04663.jpg

Old Dale Road started easy as a nice sand road but got a bit tricky as I headed up the canyon. My beginner off-road skills were put to the test as I made my way up the canyon. It's rated as intermediate and I would agree. There were a few pucker moments that I didn't quite capture on photo. A bit busy trying not to fall off the side of the road.
DSC04674.jpg

Untitled_Panorama-1.jpg

DSC04706.jpg

After the canyon portion I got to really put Baja Mode to the test.
DSC04731.jpg

DSC04746.jpg

DSC04501.jpg

I am very pleased with the Broncos performance off-road. This was the first time I really took a dedicated off-road trip where I had to navigate intermediate difficulty terrain. While Berdoo Canyon was highly trafficked, Old Dale Road didn't have anyone on it. If you are looking for a quick getaway in so-cal, I highly recommend this route.
Gorgeous! Your Bronco looks amazing in those photos.

BumbleBeeTuna

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just came back from a quick weekend trip to Joshua Tree. Packed up the bronco for a solo trip through Berdoo Canyon Road to my campsite at Belle. From there got up early to take up Old Dale Road to the 62.
Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 8.01.29 PM.jpg

When I was 24, I drove up Berdoo canyon in a Ranger Rover Sport on street tires at night alone with 2 gallons of water for "emergency" because my onboard GPS said that was the route to take to my buddies campsite. Yes I was an idiot. But it ended up being a trip of a lifetime making it through that canyon without damaging the car at night.
So, I was excited to be visiting this route again to see it in daylight in a more capable vehicle, a bit better prepared. Here she is in the canyon.
DSC04436-Pano.jpg

DSC04450-Pano.jpg

DSC04456-Pano.jpg

DSC04439-Pano.jpg

From there it was off to my campsite at Belle. I got to watch a spectacular sunset and lighting storms in the distance.

DSC04541.jpg

DSC04587.jpg

DSC04613.jpg

In the morning I got up early and made my way to Old Dale Road and took photos of the local fauna and flora on the way.
DSC04534.jpg

DSC04673-Pano.jpg

DSC04663.jpg

Old Dale Road started easy as a nice sand road but got a bit tricky as I headed up the canyon. My beginner off-road skills were put to the test as I made my way up the canyon. It's rated as intermediate and I would agree. There were a few pucker moments that I didn't quite capture on photo. A bit busy trying not to fall off the side of the road.
DSC04674.jpg

Untitled_Panorama-1.jpg

DSC04706.jpg

DSC04731.jpg

DSC04746.jpg

DSC04501.jpg

I am very pleased with the Broncos performance off-road. This was the first time I really took a dedicated off-road trip where I had to navigate intermediate difficulty terrain. While Berdoo Canyon was highly trafficked, Old Dale Road didn't have anyone on it. If you are looking for a quick getaway in so-cal, I highly recommend this route.
awesome quick write up and photos!

I have done old dale canyon to Joshua tree once. My wife thought I was driving her to her UNTIMELY death when I passed through that shooting range close to the freeway. I kept telling Her, don’t worry. This is the route I planned…..

love the photographs! A nice simple amazing trip to that national park.

OP
OP
KT_bronco

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

awesome quick write up and photos!

I have done old dale canyon to Joshua tree once. My wife thought I was driving her to her UNTIMELY death when I passed through that shooting range close to the freeway. I kept telling Her, don’t worry. This is the route I planned…..

love the photographs! A nice simple amazing trip to that national park.
LOL. I was airing down just passed the gun range, and it made me nervous standing around there. I high tailed it asap.

Sponsored

Balerstos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 F-150, 2017 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you, I used a Sony A7iii here. That camera has great dynamic range, especially in low light situations.
Have an a7rii myself and I also previously had a Canon. Love my Sony. What lens(es) were you using?

OP
OP
KT_bronco

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have an a7rii myself and I also previously had a Canon. Love my Sony. What lens(es) were you using?
The only thing I hate about the Sony is the user interface stinks. They may have fixed it in newer models though.

I used the Sony 50mm for a few shots but mainly on the SONY E PZ 18-105mm. I used to have a nice wide lens for the Canon but Sony glass is so expensive I've been judicious about what I pick up. The 18-105 works great for video too.

What I did enjoy was using this Milwaukee packout to carry around my camera gear.

Ford Bronco Joshua Tree - Berdoo Canyon and Old Dale Road - 2 Door Bronco Solo Trip. IMG_6307
Ford Bronco Joshua Tree - Berdoo Canyon and Old Dale Road - 2 Door Bronco Solo Trip. IMG_6308

OP
OP
KT_bronco

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One other thing, I also cheat. I use Lightroom or photoshop to stitch together panoramic photos for a wider view. What the lens can't capture I glue together afterwards. Works really well, you just have to watch out for weird artifacts that aren't apparent right away.

Balerstos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 F-150, 2017 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The only thing I hate about the Sony is the user interface stinks. They may have fixed it in newer models though.

I used the Sony 50mm for a few shots but mainly on the SONY E PZ 18-105mm. I used to have a nice wide lens for the Canon but Sony glass is so expensive I've been judicious about what I pick up. The 18-105 works great for video too.

What I did enjoy was using this Milwaukee packout to carry around my camera gear.

Ford Bronco Joshua Tree - Berdoo Canyon and Old Dale Road - 2 Door Bronco Solo Trip. IMG_6308
I love this. I have a backback that works well but if I take it out on the roads, having it more secure like this is a no-brainer. Thanks for the tip.

Also, I use the same tools (LR and PS) in post for the same reasons. No need to reinvent the wheel and the software does such a great job at stitching.

dwaydav

Badlands
First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa Cruz
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Great trip. I love Joshua Tree and can’t wait to get there once I have my bronco!

Sponsored

lni

Badlands
First Name
Lni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2Dr Badsquatch, Porsche GT4, BMW M3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did that exact same drive with my 2 door Badlands Sasquatch a couple months ago. Fun and interesting drive! Great pics!

PXL_20220716_233119659.jpg

OP
OP
KT_bronco

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did that exact same drive with my 2 door Badlands Sasquatch a couple months ago. Fun and interesting drive! Great pics!

Ford Bronco Joshua Tree - Berdoo Canyon and Old Dale Road - 2 Door Bronco Solo Trip. PXL_20220716_233119659
Thanks! I want to explore more of the off-shoots there in the future. Maybe I'll put together a meetup for us so-cal 6g guys.
Sponsored