Reaction score
Website
lostgoldx.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAV4, past: 2013 BMW 328i, 370Z, XJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hey y’all!

Just checking to see what y’all are doing about out kayaks in the soft top?

I plan on getting the DV8 soft top roof rack, but until then I am seeing if there’s any other options,

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

vandyfan

Badlands
First Name
VandyFan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interested as well. Was wondering if I need to consider a tow hitch solution, but on top would be better.

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It’s really annoying nobody has STILL created a simple front crossbar for the windshield mounts. That would allow everyone with softops to easily use a regular hitch rack in the back..

BroncoA512021

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It’s really annoying nobody has STILL created a simple front crossbar for the windshield mounts. That would allow everyone with softops to easily use a regular hitch rack in the back..
You can commission a fabricator to create one.

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You can commission a fabricator to create one.
I mean yeah but I want something with a nice fit and finish on my truck (like rhino rack, Thule, Yakima type stuff). Not into all the aftermarket metalfab companies. Basically I’m being a beggar and a chooser 😆

Sponsored

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, A6 Avant, TTRS, SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I mean yeah but I want something with a nice fit and finish on my truck (like rhino rack, Thule, Yakima type stuff). Not into all the aftermarket metalfab companies. Basically I’m being a beggar and a chooser 😆
Having a fab shop create the brackets and making them compatible with a Thule arrow bar would not be rocket science. If you are skilled at design and CAD programs just draw up what you want and taking it to an appropriate shop.

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Having a fab shop create the brackets and making them compatible with a Thule arrow bar would not be rocket science. If you are skilled at design and CAD programs just draw up what you want and taking it to an appropriate shop.
That’s true but I wouldn’t want anything on my windshield without a published/tested product weight rating.

OP
OP
LOSTXGOLD

LOSTXGOLD

Base
First Name
TEO
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lostgoldx.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAV4, past: 2013 BMW 328i, 370Z, XJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have the Trektop so those won’t work since the top doesn’t have the full retract mode. I also don’t understand how those cost so much. If they were an aero design or something I could maybe see but they are just square non aerodynamic bars. Seem pretty basic for the price.

Yeah, I was thinking max $200 - But, for that price you might as well get the DV8 soft top roof rack for $1200.

Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think the weight limit on the mounts above the windshield must give mfrs pause. There's a recent post from a guy who only put like 100+ # up there and broke the mount. A kayak would clearly be ok, but then someone will get the idea to haul that 1/2" plate steel.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think the weight limit on the mounts above the windshield must give mfrs pause. There's a recent post from a guy who only put like 100+ # up there and broke the mount. A kayak would clearly be ok, but then someone will get the idea to haul that 1/2" plate steel.
That broken mount doesn't sound good. :( I am a hobbyist welder and was planning to fab a cross bar running parallel above the windshield, attached to the windshield mounts. To be used in conjunction with a rear hoop attached to the rear bumper. For hauling kayaks, canoe, maybe row boat, lumber, etc. I wouldn't want that front mount breaking loose on the expressway.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I made my own. No published/tested product weight rating but I have trust in my welding skillz. It does help that my brother owns a fab shop so I have access to laser cutters, press brakes, etc.

Ford Bronco Kayaks on Soft Top? 1691526038713

As far as the broken windshield mount, I saw that thread as well and it is the only broken mount I have seen reported in 3 years of Bronco deliveries.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I made my own. No published/tested product weight rating but I have trust in my welding skillz. It does help that my brother owns a fab shop so I have access to laser cutters, press brakes, etc.

Ford Bronco Kayaks on Soft Top? 1691526038713

As far as the broken windshield mount, I saw that thread as well and it is the only broken mount I have seen reported in 3 years of Bronco deliveries.
Nice! How are the rear body mount attachments working out? I wonder if there is enough gap to use that method of attachment with a hardtop.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice! How are the rear body mount attachments working out? I wonder if there is enough gap to use that method of attachment with a hardtop.
It is working out just fine for what it was designed for. It wouldn't work with a hardtop as the rear bracket uses the same mounting points. I also didn't intend to use it for anything heavy like a rooftop tent, a couple of plastic kayaks is probably the weight limit.

Ford Bronco Kayaks on Soft Top? 1691528360147
Sponsored