Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
To me it seems the best design for a windshield mount crossbar would also incorporate the ditch light mounts next to the side view mirrors. I envision like a vertical bar on each side of windshield running along the pillars that attaches to ditch light mounts on the bottom and the windshield mounts up top to spread out the weight across multiple attachment points leading to way less stress on the actual windshield mounts.
Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
To me it seems the best design for a windshield mount crossbar would also incorporate the ditch light mounts next to the side view mirrors. I envision like a vertical bar on each side of windshield running along the pillars that attaches to ditch light mounts on the bottom and the windshield mounts up top to spread out the weight across multiple attachment points leading to way less stress on the actual windshield mounts.
I thought about that, but if I'm recalling correctly, those two side mirror screws/bolts on each side are kind of small? They'd probably help some to spread out the front attachment points, but I'd rather have a cleaner install just using the windshield frame.

I've had many things over the years strapped to my open top CJ folding windshield, which was probably not as strong as the thicker Bronco fixed windshield frame. I don't see why the Bronco frame can't handle what we want to haul on top, unless Ford has some issue with the threaded mounting plates attached to the frame. If it comes down to it, I'll add some tack welds to make sure those windshield mounting plates remain fixed to the frame.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/bamf-soft-topless-roof-rack.55779/page-6

This is what I went with an it has been pretty great. There when I need it and away un seen when I do not. Have put paddleboards, kayak, lumber, and tents up there without issue.

I also have axe and shovel mounts on the bottom side for securely transporting those items.

Yes you run the risk of getting a bit wet if it rains while transporting but my paddleboard is about three feet wide and acts as an excellent partial roof as needed.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Look at that actually have some more photos.

20230630_202138.jpg

20230603_152205.jpg

Rick28078

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Vertiyak.com