Sponsored

Lifting 2 door hardtop with power winch - how to balance top?

Roundrocktx

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus is350c, F-150, F-250 on order
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have installed a small power winch in the ceiling of my garage in order to easily remove my 2 door hard top. I put a strap on each side of the top from front to back. When I lift the top, if it is not perfectly balanced the straps slide a bit, making the top tilt upwards or downwards on the front/back.

Has anyone run into this and how did you attach the roof to a lift so it doesn't shift when lifted? I don't see a way to attach a strap to each corner, which would make this easy?
Sponsored

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's not easy. Centered side to side and slightly behind center back to front seems about right. I have to adjust it every time.

Mikey D

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's not easy. Centered side to side and slightly behind center back to front seems about right. I have to adjust it every time.
I'm about to install hoist and figure out straps. I'm thinking 4" straps with flat hooks to go into lift points on back and 2" straps running to each corner on front. So, four lift points. I might try rachets to adjust. Thanks for the heads up.

LABlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep TJ on 37" SSRs and 2010 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I watched a video of one of these companies selling a system, and they stated the center point for balancing was 12" from the back (on a 2 door). Might try that and do a test lift.

Mikey D

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have installed a small power winch in the ceiling of my garage in order to easily remove my 2 door hard top. I put a strap on each side of the top from front to back. When I lift the top, if it is not perfectly balanced the straps slide a bit, making the top tilt upwards or downwards on the front/back.

Has anyone run into this and how did you attach the roof to a lift so it doesn't shift when lifted? I don't see a way to attach a strap to each corner, which would make this easy?
How did you install power winch? I have one but am debating how to mount to garage ceiling. I have 5-foot Unistrut and will attach hoist to that with support brackets and lag screws, but not sure whether to attach to one joist running lengthwise (so I can put a ton of lag screws along the entire length of 5' Unistrut) or go crosswise with the Unistrut hitting two joists (24 inches off center). That would give me dead space between 24 inch lags and brackets, but less stress on one joist. The joists are doubled up 2x4's (3 inches thick). The picture below shows joists, but they are now drywalled in, so the attachment will be from below and up into joist.

I'm thinking running along one joist should be fine with limited weight. Any structural gurus out there have any opinions?

Ford Bronco Lifting 2 door hardtop with power winch - how to balance top? DSCN1207

Last edited:

Sponsored

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How did you install power winch? I have one but am debating how to mount to garage ceiling. I have 5-foot Unistrut and will attach hoist to that with support brackets and lag screws, but not sure whether to attach to one joist running lengthwise (so I can put a ton of lag screws along the entire length of 5' Unistrut) or go crosswise with the Unistrut hitting two joists (24 inches off center). That would give me dead space between 24 inch lags and brackets, but less stress on one joist. The joists are doubled up 2x4's (3 inches thick).
Hard to see but I installed a cheap Amazon hoist. I just put a couple of blocks to raise it up above the joists and ran the framing channel perpendicular to the struts. It is plenty strong. I think either way you are describing would be plenty strong. I pretty much had to do this way because my garage roof is so low and I had a very small window because of paddleboards and other crap.

Two ten foot straps work perfect for the 2 door but I think the 4 door is a little shorter. I'm not sure if this is the best in terms of putting stress on the top but I immediately drop it down onto a cart so I don't keep it suspended.

Ford Bronco Lifting 2 door hardtop with power winch - how to balance top? PXL_20220717_033438757

Mikey D

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hard to see but I installed a cheap Amazon hoist. I just put a couple of blocks to raise it up above the joists and ran the framing channel perpendicular to the struts. It is plenty strong. I think either way you are describing would be plenty strong. I pretty much had to do this way because my garage roof is so low and I had a very small window because of paddleboards and other crap.

Two ten foot straps work perfect for the 2 door but I think the 4 door is a little shorter. I'm not sure if this is the best in terms of putting stress on the top but I immediately drop it down onto a cart so I don't keep it suspended.

Ford Bronco Lifting 2 door hardtop with power winch - how to balance top? PXL_20220717_033438757
I was thinking the same thing. I don't think 130 lbs. lift or so will put too much stress on the ceiling joist. My garage ceiling isn't open to rafters, so I can't mount top down, which I think is way safer. I'll be coming from the bottom up through the sheet rock into the doubled up 2x4. Hence the extra U channel brackets. It just seems a little more secure running along the joist and putting more lags in, especially if the stress on joist isn't issue. Thanks!!!!!!

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think 130 lbs. lift or so will put too much stress on the ceiling joist. My garage ceiling isn't open to rafters, so I can't mount top down, which I think is way safer. I'll be coming from the bottom up through the sheet rock into the doubled up 2x4. Hence the extra U channel brackets. It just seems a little more secure running along the joist and putting more lags in, especially if the stress on joist isn't issue. Thanks!!!!!!
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/electric-top-hoist-for-garage-my-solution.48316/

Don't wuss out. You can mount it above the rafters. I remembered seeing a thread where someone did it. Think this is it. No reason not to make it a multi-day project instead of a couple of hours.

Mikey D

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Hi John, Have you found any published info on the weight of the two door top minus the T tops?
Thanks.

Sponsored

Fly

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Danh63

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X4, BMW 840, Chevy Trailboss
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Ford Bronco Lifting 2 door hardtop with power winch - how to balance top? IMG_5273
2 questions, does your rear window stay closed with those straps in there and how are the straps connected to the winch?

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

2 questions, does your rear window stay closed with those straps in there and how are the straps connected to the winch?
The hoist came with a short strap that has metal connectors to attach to the hook at the end of the line. It fits perfectly to loop through the ends of the straps twice. Balance point for the 2 door top is lined up right with the notches for where the roof rack attached in the rear.

I run the straps on the outside of the window hinges and then close the window before pulling it up. It doesn't have a problem staying closed. I don't keep it stored that way because I am worried the weight will deform the rubber gaskets on the roof. I set it down on a cart to keep the little plastic pegs off the ground.

Ford Bronco Lifting 2 door hardtop with power winch - how to balance top? 6ea57b03-2bb4-4212-9408-216eb1e9653a.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0774HBQHQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Danh63

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X4, BMW 840, Chevy Trailboss
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The hoist came with a short strap that has metal connectors to attach to the hook at the end of the line. It fits perfectly to loop through the ends of the straps twice. Balance point for the 2 door top is lined up right with the notches for where the roof rack attached in the rear.

I run the straps on the outside of the window hinges and then close the window before pulling it up. It doesn't have a problem staying closed. I don't keep it stored that way because I am worried the weight will deform the rubber gaskets on the roof. I set it down on a cart to keep the little plastic pegs off the ground.

Ford Bronco Lifting 2 door hardtop with power winch - how to balance top? 6ea57b03-2bb4-4212-9408-216eb1e9653a.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0774HBQHQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks!

BCHBRNC22

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Anyone run into any issues storing these tops longer term suspended? I am using an electric hoist and a couple hammock straps. Nice and easy.

IMG_8390.jpeg

IMG_8389.jpeg

IMG_8388.jpeg
Sponsored