Sponsored

Long term experience with vinyl graphics?

Merbronc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT viper GTS/Cadillac Escalade/Audi A6
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
With a scheduled build date, I’ve started researching mods I’m considering. I’m a sucker for those retro graphics on the bronco. From what I’ve seen rider seems to produce a quality product. However, in my 30+ years of car ownership I’ve never purchased a vehicle with vinyl graphics.
Can anyone with experience comment on longevity? I’m considering gloss black finish and I wonder how that will hold up after a few years(hot summer sun and then the salt freezing mess in the winter). I’m sure scratches may be visible over time? The pics on this forum of the graphics look spectacular, I’m just curious what they might look like 3-4 years from now.
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven’t had vinyl graphics on my vehicles in a long time, but vinyl and plasti-dip used to be “the thing” that everyone did when I was in high school and college.

Lived in Arizona at the time, and the Arizona sun wrecks havoc on vinyl. Colors started fading around year two, and by the start of year 4 the vinyl started developing blisters and cracking. Admittedly I probably didn’t get the highest quality vinyl available. And I’m sure if you parked in a garage you could easily get it to last longer, but in my case it was outside 24x7.

My brother lives up in Washington State and his Nissan Pathfinder has had vinyl on it for 5 years now. Doesn’t park in a garage, but it is in the shade. Still looks pretty good—definitely scratched up here and there—but otherwise not bad at all. Washington doesn’t exactly have the most extreme weather, but vinyl doesn’t seem to have any major issues with water or snow.

Keep in mind you can also apply clear-coat after you put in the graphics if you really like them. That will definitely help the vinyl last longer, but it also makes it more permanent.

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

New stuff is super durable just don’t use the pressure washer.

Aurongel

Outer Banks
First Name
M.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger RT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’ve mostly seen them on newer vehicles (2015+) and they unanimously look and age extremely well if they’re monochrome. Ones with strong hues definitely fade in sunnier states like Texas or Arizona over 5+ years but I wouldn’t say that the decal itself develops any warping or weird texture.

If I were making this consideration, I’d use photoshop to composite an image of my vehicle with the appropriate paint job and desired decal and then decrease the saturation of JUST the decal by 30% to get a sense of the worst case scenario for fading many years down the road. Could help you visualize it.

Packman

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Mustang Pace Car
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I had to replace the vinyls on my hood & trunk after 7 years. But the vinyls on the side of the car are still good to go after 10 years.
Ford Bronco Long term experience with vinyl graphics? CC16D343-5BEE-4E88-A08F-A2AC8FA7DD36

Sponsored
OP
OP
Merbronc

Merbronc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for the replies.
I had to replace the vinyls on my hood & trunk after 7 years. But the vinyls on the side of the car are still good to go after 10 years.
Ford Bronco Long term experience with vinyl graphics? CC16D343-5BEE-4E88-A08F-A2AC8FA7DD36
good looking pony! I don’t remember that pace car, what year? And nice rims too! If I can get 5/6 years without significant fading I will be happy.

i agree a garage kept vehicle will obviously help, particularly in the summer months. I’m fortunate to have a 3 car garage, two of which are filled with my four kids crap lol. (And as much as I look forward to getting my bronco in 2 months, it will not be displacing my viper from bay #3) 😂

josephs6392

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1940 Ford roadster pickup, 1947 Ford 5W coupe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The vinyl used to make decals is PVC. It is produced using petrochemicals from the oil and gas industry. Over time and exposure to elements, yes, even a dry and climate controlled garage, it will degrade. How long it lasts depends on the amount of exposure to the elements. Sun on hot metal basically cooks it. That’s why it doesn’t last nearly as long on the hood, roof, and trunk lid of your car. I’ve had decals last 5-8 years depending on where they are placed on the vehicle. They can also be removed and replaced but you will see a slight discoloration in the painted surface where the old decals were. Some colors are worse than others. 303 makes a good vinyl conditioner which will help increase longevity. Degradation is ultimately inevitable, however.

Packman

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Mustang Pace Car
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Thanks for the replies.

good looking pony! I don’t remember that pace car, what year? And nice rims too! If I can get 5/6 years without significant fading I will be happy.

i agree a garage kept vehicle will obviously help, particularly in the summer months. I’m fortunate to have a 3 car garage, two of which are filled with my four kids crap lol. (And as much as I look forward to getting my bronco in 2 months, it will not be displacing my viper from bay #3) 😂
She’s a 2011. Paced the 2010 Daytona 500.

OP
OP
Merbronc

Merbronc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sweet ride! I was spoiled with a new 1991 mustang gt and am very partial to mustangs. Best of luck
Sponsored