Sponsored

Mabett Transmission Skid Plate Fits Bronco 2021 2022 Bronco 4DR 2.3L Available Now!

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Finally got around to mounting this. Really nice fit and finish. Anyone else just leave that temporary bolt in that spacer. Why remove it? Won’t it just keep it in place for when dropping it to clean anyhow?

Anyone else wonder why they left that section unprotected with factory plates? Seems odd. Leaving the transmission and front drive shaft vulnerable like that.
Sponsored

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Finally got around to mounting this. Really nice fit and finish. Anyone else just leave that temporary bolt in that spacer. Why remove it? Won’t it just keep it in place for when dropping it to clean anyhow?

Anyone else wonder why they left that section unprotected with factory plates? Seems odd. Leaving the transmission and front drive shaft vulnerable like that.
Yeah, i left that bolt in.
I bought a 4 pack bolts from ford to replace the ones that came with the skid. Will do that in spring. Just easier to have all skid bolts same as transfer case skid.

Money?

Am i crazy, or are 2 of the pics mabett posted a mirror image/ reversed?

Nah, i think it's just messing with my head

Last edited:

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah, i left that bolt in.
I bought a 4 pack bolts from ford to replace the ones that came with the skid. Will do that in spring. Just easier to have all skid bolts same as transfer case skid.

Money?

Am i crazy, or are 2 of the pics mabett posted a mirror image/ reversed?

Nah, i think it's just messing with my head
What’s the part number for those? I’m gonna need a few on hand. One was pretty beat up from a rock. Couldn’t get a socket around it.

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
What’s the part number for those? I’m gonna need a few on hand. One was pretty beat up from a rock. Couldn’t get a socket around it.
Part Number
W717376-S439B
Skid Plate Mount Bolt $2.26 x 4. $9.04

Which btw is the same size as trim ring bolts 10mm 1.5

Sponsored

M Redwood

Big Bend
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BB,BASE
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
good tip just ordered mabett 139 amzn...after seeing broken pan thread today ..tanks

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bolted mine on last weekend. Everything fit well until I was bolting the engine skid back in place. The passenger side was problematic, the rear edge of the recessed “cone” was hitting the trans skid. I loosened the trans skid and pulled it towards the rear with a ratchet strap and pulled the engine skid forward, it helped but not enough. I decided to just tighten the offending bolt and let the edge of the engine skid plate bend as needed. It seems fine and I can’t see it harming anything. I torqued all the bolts to 45 ft/lb and used orange loctite. I only used one of the Mabett supplied bolts on the rear right corner, I used the factory bolts everywhere else. I added a thick washer under the transfer case skid plate to compensate for the height difference with one ear up on the new trans skid plate. When I have the engine skid off in the future I may massage that offending corner with a dead blow hammer.

Overall I’m very pleased for the $112 plus tax (on sale Black Friday weekend) I spent on the trans skid.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks @Lifeliberty !

@BroncoAZ - that seems strange. Not sure if there are differences between Black Diamond and Badlands skids - but, I used all but one provided bolt/washer and it fit like a glove. Zero interference or forcing necessary.

One tip I would give - which is pretty obvious is - leave all of the bolts loose until you have them all hand tightened, then torque.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks @Lifeliberty !

@BroncoAZ - that seems strange. Not sure if there are differences between Black Diamond and Badlands skids - but, I used all but one provided bolt/washer and it fit like a glove. Zero interference or forcing necessary.

One tip I would give - which is pretty obvious is - leave all of the bolts loose until you have them all hand tightened, then torque.
The skids are all the same. It was a weird issue, but at the end of the day not a big deal. I left everything a turn loose from hand tight until all the bolts were in. My only other options would’ve been to use the die grinder to extend the holes in the skid plate a little to let it slide back, or do some grinding on the steel skid. I tried removing the front bolts on the engine skid and was able to get the rear to line up, but the front holes were obstructed so the bolts wouldn’t go in. Eventually all those parts will get hit by rocks, so it doesn’t matter.

OP
OP
Mabett

Mabett

Black Diamond
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mabett
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
HIGHLY suggest foregoing the “bolt head protectors”.

What a pain in the ass. Made my 30 min oil change well over an hour and a half. All 4 had to be set free. I’m gonna keep a good stock of OEM bolts around. I had 6 new ones. Down to 1. Kept the salvageable ones for a rainy day.

Ford Bronco Mabett Transmission Skid Plate Fits Bronco 2021 2022 Bronco 4DR 2.3L Available Now! 3CFF9360-043B-42B9-B340-FD5C1F2F2518

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
HIGHLY suggest foregoing the “bolt head protectors”.

What a pain in the ass. Made my 30 min oil change well over an hour and a half. All 4 had to be set free. I’m gonna keep a good stock of OEM bolts around. I had 6 new ones. Down to 1. Kept the salvageable ones for a rainy day.

Ford Bronco Mabett Transmission Skid Plate Fits Bronco 2021 2022 Bronco 4DR 2.3L Available Now! 3CFF9360-043B-42B9-B340-FD5C1F2F2518
I skipped them on mine for that reason.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I skipped them on mine for that reason.
Yeah, I had a bad feeling, but didn't have any washers big enough laying around to just use the provided bolts. Lesson learned.
Sponsored