Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Forgive me if this has already been discussed. It’s been a rough day (non Bronco related) and there are a ton of threads with today’s news.

So the Wildtrak and 2 Doors (no VIN) are getting pushed to MY22. If they are saying MY 2022 production is starting in December, is it realistic to think they will start producing Wildtraks and two doors by then?
Sponsored

Baddie64

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Liberty, 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s realistic to wonder what changes will be made to the mic top.
No answers coming.

chrtra1

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Forgive me if this has already been discussed. It’s been a rough day (non Bronco related) and there are a ton of threads with today’s news.

So the Wildtrak and 2 Doors (no VIN) are getting pushed to MY22. If they are saying MY 2022 production is starting in December, is it realistic to think they will start producing Wildtraks and two doors by then?
Who knows? We can't even get a straight answer on colors and '22 ordering is supposed to start next month.

cecrc881

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Outer Banks, Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So, based on all the information we received today from Ford, if you have a two door (which only comes in a hard top) or a four door with a MIC top on order, and have not received a VIN yet, you will be pushed to a 22 model year production. The only thing no one knows for sure is whether Webasto can actually produce enough quality tops to satisfy the replacement tops for models already delivered or in purgatory and make enough tops to satisfy the model year 22 demand. We were told the MIC the top is being re-designed so who knows if they can figure out how to mass produce a quality top. So to answer your question as to when we, who have hard tops on order can expect to receive our Bronco's, it's anyone's guess. Best case scenario is equipment to manufacture the hard tops will be online soon and quality tops will start being pumped out before the end of the year.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Short answer is we don’t know. Also probably safe to say that Ford doesn’t know either.

They did say they are hoping to start building units and replacing hard tops on Broncos in October. Whether they’ll be far enough long to start building new Broncos with hard tops in December… they didn’t say.

The other curveball in this situation is tops are not the only constraint. Still have the global chip shortage that all of the automotive manufacturers are dealing with.

Sponsored
OP
OP
PatientlyWaiting

PatientlyWaiting

Wildtrak
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The only thing no one knows for sure is whether Webasto can actually produce enough quality tops to satisfy the replacement tops for models already delivered or in purgatory and make enough tops to satisfy the model year 22 demand…..
Bingo! That is what has me concerned. Do I switch my Wildtrak to another model with a soft top, which I do not want, and get it in Sept/October? Or do I keep the Wildtrak and hope Webasto has their crap together and get it built in December or January for MY22? I don’t have a lot of faith at this point.

Baddie64

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, based on all the information we received today from Ford, if you have a two door (which only comes in a hard top) or a four door with a MIC top on order, and have not received a VIN yet, you will be pushed to a 22 model year production. The only thing no one knows for sure is whether Webasto can actually produce enough quality tops to satisfy the replacement tops for models already delivered or in purgatory and make enough tops to satisfy the model year 22 demand. We were told the MIC the top is being re-designed so who knows if they can figure out how to mass produce a quality top. So to answer your question as to when we, who have hard tops on order can expect to receive our Bronco's, it's anyone's guess. Best case scenario is equipment to manufacture the hard tops will be online soon and quality tops will start being pumped out before the end of the year.
Is it reasonable to believe that Webasto was given a new mic top design that does not rattle or leak and that Webasto has suddenly figured out how to not only produce them at high quality, but also at a volume that will allow Ford to catch up in MY22?

No. None of that is reasonable. But that is what Ford told Us today.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Webasto? WTF.. did I miss some post? I thought the whole reason what Ford pulled the plug was because it was going to take until around October for the NEW company to start producing the tops.

I basically thought the whole underlying statement of all this is that Webasto is done. (Maybe a side of making just enough to put on FE for 21)

So you guys are thinking that there's some magical wand that Webasto is going to pull out to fix the MIC and then continue to produce them?

Username_not_found

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Webasto? WTF.. did I miss some post? I thought the whole reason what Ford pulled the plug was because it was going to take until around October for the NEW company to start producing the tops.

I basically thought the whole underlying statement of all this is that Webasto is done. (Maybe a side of making just enough to put on FE for 21)

So you guys are thinking that there's some magical wand that Webasto is going to pull out to fix the MIC and then continue to produce them?
You've definitely misinterpreted if you believe Ford is claiming they have

1) redesigned the top
2) found and qualified a new supplier
3) can spin up production of a new design on a new top
All by October.

Unfortunately Webasto is the only supplier who will be able to maybe get better hardtops out in the next 12 months. Ramping up a new supplier would easily take over a year (hence why Mod tops are 2023 now). Webasto needs new tooling to produce the new design but that takes much less lead time than entirely new process lines. As much as Webasto seems like garbage right now, Ford's design is clearly also a major issue if suddenly they have a redesign that will fix all the MIC top's sins. I don't care for Webasto but they've shown they can make decent tops for other manufactures so at this point for the next two years, they're the only option available.

Baddie64

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Unless I missed something, Ford has not said. I understand that Ford has contracted a different company to produce mod tops, but I believe Webasto will still produce mic. Based on their track record with Bronco, what could go wrong? 🤔

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You've definitely misinterpreted if you believe Ford is claiming they have

1) redesigned the top
2) found and qualified a new supplier
3) can spin up production of a new design on a new top
All by October.

Unfortunately Webasto is the only supplier who will be able to maybe get better hardtops out in the next 12 months. Ramping up a new supplier would easily take over a year (hence why Mod tops are 2023 now). Webasto needs new tooling to produce the new design but that takes much less lead time than entirely new process lines. As much as Webasto seems like garbage right now, Ford's design is clearly also a major issue if suddenly they have a redesign that will fix all the MIC top's sins. I don't care for Webasto but they've shown they can make decent tops for other manufactures so at this point for the next two years, they're the only option available.
Well sh!t.... So Webasto was delayed something like a full year because they couldn't get their tooling from overseas. Not all of a sudden some new tooling is going to show up and they're going to be able to fix all their problems and produce new tops in 2 -4 months?

I dunno, I'd hate to lose hope, but all i see is an Oct e-mail saying that due to circumstances beyond our control, there's more of a delay.....yada yada

Username_not_found

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well sh!t.... So Webasto was delayed something like a full year because they couldn't get their tooling from overseas. Not all of a sudden some new tooling is going to show up and they're going to be able to fix all their problems and produce new tops in 2 -4 months?

I dunno, I'd hate to lose hope, but all i see is an Oct e-mail saying that due to circumstances beyond our control, there's more of a delay.....yada yada
I 100% believe Ford is being overly optimistic with their timeline. From @PREMiERdrum comments and some other info it sounds like if everything goes right (as it has never done so far) they will be up and running in ~6 weeks to begin production on improved tops. That said, it's likely they got going on this already and only informed customers of the plan when they had more confidence in their capability to

1) improve the tops through redesign
2) manufacture the new design tops

Depending on the extent of the redesign it may not be so significant as to require several months to implement. Sounds like primarily its moving to rolled edges and thicker plastic. I don't know much about their process, but may simply be only a few process step changes.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are no answers that carry any weight at this point. Wait until the next Covid shutdown occurs this fall. Then what?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There are no answers that carry any weight at this point. Wait until the next Covid shutdown occurs this fall. Then what?
That's exactly it. Right now on paper, but hardtop problems are going away in October. But that's just until the next thing comes up.

So I started shopping Wranglers, it could be my holdover vehicle, or it could be my permanent. Honestly the only thing that is impressed me with the Bronco is the tech and the 360 camera. The interior is so so, the MPG sucks really bad. Oh and the doors are definitely a plus, and they have Jeep beat hands down... Of course that's assuming the car doesn't freak out because you took the doors off.
Sponsored