R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Was it the manufacturer or the designer or a little of both that botched things up?
Both Ford (design/spec/qual) and Webasto (manufacture). There will probably be a book written eventually to explain the full cautionary tale.

ReimundKrohn

Big Bend
First Name
Reimund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rav-4, 2005 F-150 Lariat, 2005 PT GT Conv
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It appears that Webasto will continue being the MIC hardtop supplier for the Bronco going forward and is building a second manufacturing facility to be able to build more MIC hardtops, which tells me they never had the capacity in the first place to actually meet the demand.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/08/2...lier-will-build-second-plant-to-boost-output/
If there is one thing I know for sure, it is that you cannot build a plant of any size in North America within a calendar year. Webasto already cut corners building Plymouth (mowing down the forest on the acreage they bought - and the government sued their asses for it). I reckon this time, they will be watching out to make sure they properly navigate all the red tape.

Sponsored

joeramirez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This goes to show that Ford did in fact have a bad design on the mic top and webasto was not completely to blame.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This goes to show that Ford did in fact have a bad design on the mic top and webasto was not completely to blame.
Probably accurate. But by hiring a third party to make these tops, it gives Ford an easier way to lay blame elsewhere.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don't know how this all works, but I would think you design something on paper (Ford), then someone else actually builds you a prototype to prove your design works (webasto- germany apparently), but then later, can't mass produce it and doesn't tell you until it's overdue.(Webasto-USA)

So sure, Ford may have had a flawed design, but wasn't it Webasto's job to point that out early instead of showing Ford it could be done (just not in mass)?

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Maybe I missed a thread about design failure, but it seems most of the errors are of poor build and quality. Separating seams, inconsistent exteriors, scratching and damage.

It could be both build quality and design quality, but it appears that build quality is the problem.

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The Ford molds and process did not have enough margin for any variation during production, the specs where just too tight hence the QC issues on edges and material thickness. Maybe there were corners that were cut by Webasto during manufatcting, but the fact there is now a V 2.0 tells me otherwise.

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know how this all works, but I would think you design something on paper (Ford), then someone else actually builds you a prototype to prove your design works (webasto- germany apparently), but then later, can't mass produce it and doesn't tell you until it's overdue.(Webasto-USA)

So sure, Ford may have had a flawed design, but wasn't it Webasto's job to point that out early instead of showing Ford it could be done (just not in mass)?
This is the closest to root cause any of us Arm Chair experts have come close too. A big disconnect between the hand made in Germany prototypes for the dog and pony vendor shows and what they were able to make en masse at high throughput rates. Somebody in the middle dropped the ball to save their annual bonus and now here we are. The production level folks were probably raising flags, but those flags didn't go far enough up the chain until all hell broke loose. Classic CYA/Corporate B.S.

Every big company with a new product launch has some level of this, it comes with a FOAK (first of a kind) product launch, from toothpaste to space ships. The key is how the company manages the problems as they pop up. This situation could be worse, but could be better too.

Us poor saps just want our broncos! :)

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This is the closest to root cause any of us Arm Chair experts have come close too. A big disconnect between the hand made in Germany prototypes for the dog and pony vendor shows and what they were able to make en masse at high throughput rates. Somebody in the middle dropped the ball to save their annual bonus and now here we are. The production level folks were probably raising flags, but those flags didn't go far enough up the chain until all hell broke loose. Classic CYA/Corporate B.S.

Every big company with a new product launch has some level of this, it comes with a FOAK (first of a kind) product launch, from toothpaste to space ships. The key is how the company manages the problems as they pop up. This situation could be worse, but could be better too.

Us poor saps just want our broncos! :)
Yeah, I'm always amazed on how many upper management want to be surrounded by "yes" folks. People are literally brainwashed into only saying positive things in meetings, and anyone that points out the negative gets on the shit list or worse.

many times in my career, where I was in a lead position, I expected my staff to find at least some sort of flaw in every plan (because there's always something). If nobody could come up with a problem, it was time to find new staff :)

The goal wasn't to not do it, simply know what we were getting into because Yes folks are worthless. (Well At least when talking business decisions) :)
Sponsored