First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black Diamond 2022 Mini Cooper S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Installed my Mishimoto catch can this morning. A bit more time consuming than I had originally anticipated but not bad. Had a couple of brain-stumpers that held me up so I'm here to help the rest out there with what I learned.

Follow the Mishimoto instructions with assembly of the catch can / bracket assembly. Mount the can and attach the hoses.
Next chock, emergency brake and jack up the driver front wheel. You're gonna want that sucker off for access.
Remove the wheel and fender liner. Not mentioned in the included install instructions. You'll then be able to see the air/oil separator attached to the driver side of the motor.
The return line is at the top of the motor, just inboard of the brake reservoir, between the 2 white fittings. Push the gray button and pull the fitting off. It should release easily. If not, push in while pressing the button. This will help you get the other side off.
Behind the steering shaft you'll see the lower fitting. Using a long reach trim tool with a hook on it, pull the small blue tab towards you as you pull the hose off. took me forever to figure out how the tab works. 1, because no one has mentioned it, 2, because you can't see it until it's off.
Once that's done connect the "in" coupler to the lower connection using long pliers to get in there and push it on. Connect the "out" coupler to the upper connection and put everything back together.
Total time with the few tips should be approx. an hour.
Hope this helps. Feel free to hit me up with any questions you may have.

Ford Bronco Mishimoto catch can install with pics, tips and tricks 20220212_161038

Ford Bronco Mishimoto catch can install with pics, tips and tricks 20220212_144606

Ford Bronco Mishimoto catch can install with pics, tips and tricks 20220212_144610

Ford Bronco Mishimoto catch can install with pics, tips and tricks 20220212_161046

Ford Bronco Mishimoto catch can install with pics, tips and tricks 20220212_153937

Ford Bronco Mishimoto catch can install with pics, tips and tricks 20220212_150735

Ford Bronco Mishimoto catch can install with pics, tips and tricks 20220212_150747

Ford Bronco Mishimoto catch can install with pics, tips and tricks 20220212_150757

Ford Bronco Mishimoto catch can install with pics, tips and tricks 20220212_153014

Ford Bronco Mishimoto catch can install with pics, tips and tricks airoil

Ford Bronco Mishimoto catch can install with pics, tips and tricks 20220212_152849

Ford Bronco Mishimoto catch can install with pics, tips and tricks 20220212_152846

Ford Bronco Mishimoto catch can install with pics, tips and tricks 20220212_153517

Ford Bronco Mishimoto catch can install with pics, tips and tricks 20220213_185007
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
For the clip, Are you rotating the inner blue piece inside the outer black piece to unlock?

I hate clips. I once spent 2 days getting a fuel filter off, in the end i just cut it off, talk about frustrating. Turns out i needed a special tool

OP
OP
Tanman

Tanman

Black Diamond
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For the clip, Are you rotating the inner blue piece inside the outer black piece to unlock?

I hate clips. I once spent 2 days getting a fuel filter off, in the end i just cut it off, talk about frustrating. Turns out i needed a special tool
Yep, pull to the opening. Basically, pull the tab towards the top of the picture. It's aligned that way on the vehicle.

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

God level helpful. Thanks bud. I'm planning on buying this catch can when/ifi ever get a scheduled date

jcgcbns22

Outer Banks
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Installed my Mishimoto catch can this morning. A bit more time consuming than I had originally anticipated but not bad. Had a couple of brain-stumpers that held me up so I'm here to help the rest out there with what I learned.

Follow the Mishimoto instructions with assembly of the catch can / bracket assembly. Mount the can and attach the hoses.
Next chock, emergency brake and jack up the driver front wheel. You're gonna want that sucker off for access.
Remove the wheel and fender liner. Not mentioned in the included install instructions. You'll then be able to see the air/oil separator attached to the driver side of the motor.
The return line is at the top of the motor, just inboard of the brake reservoir, between the 2 white fittings. Using a pick tool lift the gray clip and pull the fitting off. This will help you get the other side off.
Behind the steering shaft you'll see the lower fitting. Using a long reach trim tool with a hook on it, pull the small blue tab towards you as you pull the hose off. took me forever to figure out how the tab works. 1, because no one has mentioned it, 2, because you can't see it until it's off.
Once that's done connect the "in" coupler to the lower connection using long pliers to get in there and push it on. Connect the "out" coupler to the upper connection and put everything back together.
Total time with the few tips should be approx. an hour.
Hope this helps. Fell free to hit me up with any questions you may have.

Ford Bronco Mishimoto catch can install with pics, tips and tricks 20220213_185007

That engine sure is a dog’s breakfast. Same engine in my RS but totally different look.

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I tried this on a 20°F day and gave up after an hour. This is helpful. Thanks.

I was easily able to get the one off the orange fitting. But, I was having trouble getting the other end off. Is what I have circled that end? I didn’t realize you can access it from the top.

Ford Bronco Mishimoto catch can install with pics, tips and tricks 53DFD1F4-A618-4968-8642-A0AC9F93206F

I was trying to reach it from the wheel well and without seeing how the clip fitting operated I was afraid I’d crack some plastic and be stuck waiting for a part.

UPR released this video which helped me understand how the clip fitting work.

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just here to say thanks for the write up and the pics. Hopefully my long skinny arm can take the place for your nifty set of long pliers. 😂

OP
OP
Tanman

Tanman

Black Diamond
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I tried this on a 20°F day and gave up after an hour. This is helpful. Thanks.

I was easily able to get the one off the orange fitting. But, I was having trouble getting the other end off. Is what I have circled that end? I didn’t realize you can access it from the top.

Ford Bronco Mishimoto catch can install with pics, tips and tricks 53DFD1F4-A618-4968-8642-A0AC9F93206F

I was trying to reach it from the wheel well and without seeing how the clip fitting operated I was afraid I’d crack some plastic and be stuck waiting for a part.

UPR released this video which helped me understand how the clip fitting work.

That's it alright. Best access point is from the top.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks! I think I’m going to tackle it tomorrow. I’ve got a heater in the garage now. 23°F on my one day off. 61°F by Friday. 🤦‍♂️

OP
OP
Tanman

Tanman

Black Diamond
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks! I think I’m going to tackle it tomorrow. I’ve got a heater in the garage now. 23°F on my one day off. 61°F by Friday. 🤦‍♂️
Nice! It was 31 and sunny when I did this. Wasn't too bad.

Sponsored

Omyleg

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey Tanman, I would double check your top intake connection. The Mishimoto instructions show the connection as being on the rear of the intake, and you can't really access it from the top. It is supposed to replace the other side of the PCV line that you remove. From your photos it looks like you removed the PCV line, but only replaced one of the connections? Unless I am mistaken.

Edit: After checking my engine bay, I have no idea what you connected your hose to on the intake. I don't have any sort of port in between those two white fittings.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tanman

Tanman

Black Diamond
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey Tanman, I would double check your top intake connection. The Mishimoto instructions show the connection as being on the rear of the intake, and you can't really access it from the top. It is supposed to replace the other side of the PCV line that you remove. From your photos it looks like you removed the PCV line, but only replaced one of the connections? Unless I am mistaken.

Edit: After checking my engine bay, I have no idea what you connected your hose to on the intake. I don't have any sort of port in between those two white fittings.
That connection was at the other end of the hose from my air/oil separator.

It's the only hose I removed.

20220213_185007.jpg

Omyleg

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That connection was at the other end of the hose from my air/oil separator.

It's the only hose I removed.

20220213_185007.jpg
That's really interesting. My PCV line looked similar to the one in Mishimoto's instructions.

Do you happen to have a 2022?

Edit: I see you have an auto, this may be the difference between the manual/auto.
Ford Bronco Mishimoto catch can install with pics, tips and tricks SmartSelect_20220213-180612_Drive

OP
OP
Tanman

Tanman

Black Diamond
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That's really interesting. My PCV line looked similar to the one in Mishimoto's instructions.

Do you happen to have a 2022?

Edit: I see you have an auto, this may be the difference between the manual/auto.
Ford Bronco Mishimoto catch can install with pics, tips and tricks SmartSelect_20220213-180612_Drive
Mine is a '21
Sponsored