Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hi everyone, my name is Andrew and I'm a Bronco addict.

Like many of you, I have been looking at Bronco stuff daily (sometime and often for hours) and again just like many of you, I will be waiting quite a while yet to get my Bronco. I reserved my Bronco on 07/15/20. My order was for a 2DR 2.7L BaseSquatch in Shadow Black.

Once the Off-Roadeos were announced, I got super excited and I knew I wanted to go to Moab. I knew the Off-Roadeo would be a blast since I have been to the RS Adrenaline Academy which is the same idea as the Off-Roadeo where Ford provides the vehicles and you learn the technology and features, but with an RS. As soon as Moab was opened, I signed up for the first Saturday available 08/21/21.

A little about me and my point of view: I am a car and motorcycle enthusiast. I occasionally track my cars and bikes, but I have never been into the off-road scene until the Bronco was revealed. Never been off-road aside from a couple forest service roads where you donā€™t need lockers or sway bar disconnect or Sasquatch package.

I flew out of Everett, WA to Denver, CO and then to Grand Junction, CO and rented a new 4Runner with 5k miles. 4Runner was nicely equipped and was a nice ride and all that, but it didnā€™t have much of an engine. Very slow to accelerate but it is fine I suppose. Not exciting enough for me to purchase one of those.

I stayed at Red Cliffs Lodge where the Off-Roadeo base camp is located to make things easy. The hotel is right on the river surrounded by giant cliffs. Pretty amazing! If you decide to stay there, look for internet specials on their website or call and tell them you are with the Bronco and youā€™ll get a discount (and I think it includes breakfast buffet ā€“ mine did).

Before I checked in, I stopped by the base camp and checked out the Broncos! They have a 2DR Black Diamond Sasquatch in Cyber Orange on display. All the other Broncos that are used for Off-Roadeo duty are 4DR Badlands, Sasquatches or Badlands Sasquatches with all but a few being soft-tops. Okay, there is a lone 2DR Badlands that is available as well. All the Broncos are automatic and they have ~32 Broncos on site. One thing that I took away is that all the colors look great on the Bronco, so you canā€™t go wrong!

Ford Bronco Moab Off-Roadeo Report 08/21/21 image1(2)

Ford Bronco Moab Off-Roadeo Report 08/21/21 image0(1)

Onto the event! You sign in and they hand you a Off-Roadeo Yeti water bottle and Bronco carabiner. Once everyone is there, there is a short information session about Bronco history and the Bronco features and 4x4 off-road vehicle and general auto features (IFS/Solid axle, engines, transfer case, differentials, lockers, etc.). After that, it was time to pick a Bronco and hit the road.

I selected a 2.7L Area 51 Badlands Sasquatch 4DR with mid package. It is quite the looker! Since I was a lone driver, I got to have one of the instructors (Jason) ride along with me and we were ā€œtail gunnerā€ bringing up the rear to start. Another guy had the lead instructor (Kelly) with him leading the group. The group was 7 Broncos and there was a mix of Badlands, Sasquatches and Badlands Sasquatches.

Picture after the event:

Ford Bronco Moab Off-Roadeo Report 08/21/21 image0(2)

We started out at base camp and drove about 15 miles on the highway to Dome Plateau trail head. On the way there, they pointed where we would be having lunch ā€“ Dome Plateau Overlook. The trail is rated 4/10 for difficulty.

Here is the view from the lunch spot:

Ford Bronco Moab Off-Roadeo Report 08/21/21 image4(1)

Once we got on the trail, we went into 4L and started going over the obstacles. Iā€™m pretty sure that everyone was new to off-roading so there was a lot of instruction and demonstrations throughout the day.

Ford Bronco Moab Off-Roadeo Report 08/21/21 image3(1)

Ford Bronco Moab Off-Roadeo Report 08/21/21 image2(2)

The Bronco was amazing! We got to try obstacles with open diffs, rear locker, front locker as well as the other technology like Trail Control, One Pedal Driving and Trail Turn Assist. The Bronco had no issues climbing up or driving down any of the obstacles.

Of note was a rather vertical set of double ledges where we were instructed to use Trail Control. You press brake, then press center GOAT mode button and then set the speed on the steering wheel in 0.5mph increments. I set it for 2.5mph and let off the brake. The Bronco just climbed up the ledges with ease and so much faster and smoother than I thought it could!

Another memorable Bronco feature was the One Pedal Driving when descending a hill with a ledge/drop-off. Press the brake, press the center GOAT mode button and then let off the brake. You then control the Bronco with the throttle. It is definitely a weird feeling pressing the throttle to drop of a ledge but it worked flawlessly!

My biggest takeaway though is the Sway Bar Disconnect! I highly encourage you to select a Badlands if you go to an Off-Roadeo so you can see the difference that the SBD makes on off-road comfort and the difference in how it lets you tackle obstacles. I was toggling it on and off just to see the difference and it really is night and day! First, the ride quality is noticeably smoother! Second, I would attempt an obstacle with sway bar engaged and I would get stuck. I press the SBD button and the Bronco leveled out and I take the obstacle with open diffs where I would have had to use a locker. Not a big deal to use a locker but it did make quite the impression on me.

Ease of use for engaging lockers, sway bar disconnect and Trail Turn Assist is great. You can be mid obstacle, get stuck, press the locker hero button, climb the obstacle and then as you are moving on, press the locker hero button again and disengage the locker. Super easy!

GOAT mode selection is less smooth. There is a noticeable lag from when you twist the knob to the screen updating. Itā€™s not a big deal since you arenā€™t constantly switching modes, but it is something that I wish wasnā€™t there.

We mainly kept it in Normal and engaged lockers as we needed them. We did try Baja a couple times as well and it definitely holds the revs higher. Not too many places to really run the Bronco out but it is really smooth offroad. Also SBD disengages at 20mph seamlessly and re-engages once you slow down below 20mph.

Other random thoughts:

1) Window arm position is great! Super comfy! I love driving with the windows down!
2) A/C runs cold! It was around 100F and I was getting cold from the A/C in the 4DR.
3) MGV was nice! I didnā€™t notice any excessive heat or it sticking to me.
4) Automatic is a must for me. I felt plenty connected to the ground in the auto. Manual would be an unwelcome hassle with you getting tossed back and forth in the seat! Yeah I said it!
5) Seats were extremely comfortable! We were out there all day and I could have kept going.
6) On the way back on the highway, we had the top down. It was nice to be able to flip the top back and get going.
7) With the top down, the driverā€™s side mirror was screaming a loud and high-pitched whistle the entire 15 miles back. It was bad! That really needs to be addressed!
8) Bronco is smooth on road as well! Minimal body roll and would be no problem taking a road trip in.
9) 2.7L for me is the play! Nice power to get moving and it doesnā€™t feel lacking. I have driven a couple 2.3Ls on demo rides and there were a couple times I would have liked more power. If you want the manual, go manual, but if you want the auto, I recommend the 2.7L.
10) I didnā€™t have the cameras, but the guy and gal that did said it was great for seeing down the top of the hill. Without it, you are blind for a bit.

All-in-all I had a blast at the Off-Roadeo! I liked the Badlands so much that I have since updated my order to a pretty decked out one. Going for the 2.7L 2DR Badlands Sasquatch Lux with Area 51. Once I was around $50k for the Badlands with 2.7L and Sasquatch, I figured Iā€™d spend the extra $5k to get everything. My hatred of money is showing! I realize that you can probably get a manual disconnect later, but I am happy to make the upgrade. A few other people said they would be switching from Wildtrak to Badlands because of the SBD.

Edit: I should also add that the instructors were great! Lots of experience between them, friendly, knowledgeable and funny!

Also, I now know for certain that the Bronco is worth the wait. I had been looking at everything from Ranger and F150 FX4s and Tremors and Jeeps and Tacos and ZR2s and even the new Lightning. The Bronco is the one. Iā€™ll be cancelling my Lightning reservation later this week. You need a Bronco!

Bonus 2DR Badlands pic!

Ford Bronco Moab Off-Roadeo Report 08/21/21 image1(1)
Sponsored

Last edited:

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Everytime someone talks about the Badlands, I'm so glad I chose it. Originally picked Outer Banks, then WildTrak, but finally have a build date on a Badlands.

Awesome write up, beautiful pictures.
Thank you for taking the time to share.

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My wife is not interested, and pretty much a bit scared, in the idea of off-roading. I convinced her to come and try to get over her fears in a controlled environment. We'll be in Moab over Labor Day weekend, and from what I've seen of other locations, I'm assuming she can get out and "take pictures" outside the vehicle when we hit the ledges and such, right?
For someone scared of the idea of off roading, is she going to divorce me by the end of the day?

DaBronCo33

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good stuff. If you donā€™t do Roadeo, then youā€™re an idiot imo. If you want to get in the rig and learn what it can do, then do the roadeo. Hours of off-roading before signing the dotted line.

Even if youā€™re an avid off-reader, I would think youā€™d want to make sure it can do everything youā€™re hoping for.

Just did the NH Roadeo and Iā€™m beyond stoked to get my rig now. Thinking about upgrading to Badlands to get some of the goodies like sway bar disconnect and one-pedal, etc. Since I have to wait anyways, might as well stash away more cash to put down.

Sponsored

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Very nice write up! Weā€™re not going to do it but thatā€™s because weā€™re apparently idiots.

Fireman

Base
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GLS, 12 Rubicon, 01 F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Like many of you, I have been looking at Bronco stuff daily (sometime and often for hours) and again just like many of you, I will be waiting quite a while yet to get my Bronco. I reserved my Bronco on 07/15/20. My order was for a 2DR 2.7L BaseSquatch in Shadow Black.
Once the Off-Roadeos were announced, I got super excited and I knew I wanted to go to Moab. I knew the Off-Roadeo would be a blast since I have been to the RS Adrenaline Academy which is the same idea as the Off-Roadeo where Ford provides the vehicles and you learn the technology and features, but with an RS. As soon as Moab was opened, I signed up for the first Saturday available 08/21/21.

A little about me and my point of view: I am a car and motorcycle enthusiast. I occasionally track my cars and bikes, but I have never been into the off-road scene until the Bronco was revealed. Never been off-road aside from a couple forest service roads where you donā€™t need lockers or sway bar disconnect or Sasquatch package.
I flew out of Everett, WA to Denver, CO and then to Grand Junction, CO and rented a new 4Runner with 5k miles. 4Runner was nicely equipped and was a nice ride and all that, but it didnā€™t have much of an engine. Very slow to accelerate but it is fine I suppose. Not exciting enough for me to purchase one of those.

I stayed at Red Cliffs Lodge where the Off-Roadeo base camp is located to make things easy. The hotel is right on the river surrounded by giant cliffs. Pretty amazing! If you decide to stay there, look for internet specials on their website or call and tell them you are with the Bronco and youā€™ll get a discount (and I think it includes breakfast buffet ā€“ mine did).

Before I checked in, I stopped by the base camp and checked out the Broncos! They have a 2DR Black Diamond Sasquatch in Cyber Orange on display. All the other Broncos that are used for Off-Roadeo duty are 4DR Badlands, Sasquatches or Badlands Sasquatches with all but a few being soft-tops. Okay, there is a lone 2DR Badlands that is available as well. All the Broncos are automatic and they have ~32 Broncos on site. One thing that I took away is that all the colors look great on the Bronco, so you canā€™t go wrong!

Onto the event! You sign in and they hand you a Off-Roadeo Yeti water bottle and Bronco carabiner. Once everyone is there, there is a short information session about Bronco history and the Bronco features and 4x4 off-road vehicle and general auto features (IFS/Solid axle, engines, transfer case, differentials, lockers, etc.). After that, it was time to pick a Bronco and hit the road.

I selected a 2.7L Area 51 Badlands Sasquatch 4DR with mid package. It is quite the looker! Since I was a lone driver, I got to have one of the instructors (Jason) ride along with me and we were ā€œtail gunnerā€ bringing up the rear to start. Another guy had the lead instructor (Kelly) with him leading the group. The group was 7 Broncos and there was a mix of Badlands, Sasquatches and Badlands Sasquatches.

Picture after the event:

We started out at base camp and drove about 15 miles on the highway to Dome Plateau trail head. On the way there, they pointed where we would be having lunch ā€“ Dome Plateau Overlook. The trail is rated 4/10 for difficulty.

Once we got on the trail, we went into 4L and started going over the obstacles. Iā€™m pretty sure that everyone was new to off-roading so there was a lot of instruction and demonstrations throughout the day.

The Bronco was amazing! We got to try obstacles with open diffs, rear locker, front locker as well as the other technology like Trail Control, One Pedal Driving and Trail Turn Assist. The Bronco had no issues climbing up or driving down any of the obstacles.

Of note was a rather vertical set of double ledges where we were instructed to use Trail Control. You press brake, then press center GOAT mode button and then set the speed on the steering wheel in 0.5mph increments. I set it for 2.5mph and let off the brake. The Bronco just climbed up the ledges with ease and so much faster and smoother than I thought it could!

Another memorable Bronco feature was the One Pedal Driving when descending a hill with a ledge/drop-off. Press the brake, press the center GOAT mode button and then let off the brake. You then control the Bronco with the throttle. It is definitely a weird feeling pressing the throttle to drop of a ledge but it worked flawlessly!

My biggest takeaway though is the Sway Bar Disconnect! I highly encourage you to select a Badlands if you go to an Off-Roadeo so you can see the difference that the SBD makes on off-road comfort and the difference in how it lets you tackle obstacles. I was toggling it on and off just to see the difference and it really is night and day! First, the ride quality is noticeably smoother! Second, I would attempt an obstacle with sway bar engaged and I would get stuck. I press the SBD button and the Bronco leveled out and I take the obstacle with open diffs where I would have had to use a locker. Not a big deal to use a locker but it did make quite the impression on me.

Ease of use for engaging lockers, sway bar disconnect and Trail Turn Assist is great. You can be mid obstacle, get stuck, press the locker hero button, climb the obstacle and then as you are moving on, press the locker hero button again and disengage the locker. Super easy!

GOAT mode selection is less smooth. There is a noticeable lag from when you twist the knob to the screen updating. Itā€™s not a big deal since you arenā€™t constantly switching modes, but it is something that I wish wasnā€™t there.

We mainly kept it in Normal and engaged lockers as we needed them. We did try Baja a couple times as well and it definitely holds the revs higher. Not too many places to really run the Bronco out but it is really smooth offroad. Also SBD disengages at 20mph seamlessly and re-engages once you slow down below 20mph.

Other random thoughts:

1) Window arm position is great! Super comfy! I love driving with the windows down!
2) A/C runs cold! It was around 100F and I was getting cold from the A/C in the 4DR.
4) Automatic is a must for me. I felt plenty connected to the ground in the auto. Manual would be an unwelcome hassle with you getting tossed back and forth in the seat! Yeah I said it!
5) Seats were extremely comfortable! We were out there all day and I could have kept going.
6) On the way back on the highway, we had the top down. It was nice to be able to flip the top back and get going.
7) With the top down, the driverā€™s side mirror was screaming a loud and high-pitched whistle the entire 15 miles back. It was bad! That really needs to be addressed!
8) Bronco is smooth on road as well! Minimal body roll and would be no problem taking a road trip in.
9) 2.7L for me is the play! Nice power to get moving and it doesnā€™t feel lacking. I have driven a couple 2.3Ls on demo rides and there were a couple times I would have liked more power. If you want the manual, go manual, but if you want the auto, I recommend the 2.7L.
10) I didnā€™t have the cameras, but the guy and gal that did said it was great for seeing down the top of the hill. Without it, you are blind for a bit.

All-in-all I had a blast at the Off-Roadeo! I liked the Badlands so much that I have since updated my order to a pretty decked out one. Going for the 2.7L 2DR Badlands Sasquatch Lux with Area 51. Once I was around $50k for the Badlands with 2.7L and Sasquatch, I figured Iā€™d spend the extra $5k to get everything. My hatred of money is showing! I realize that you can probably get a manual disconnect later, but I am happy to make the upgrade. A few other people said they would be switching from Wildtrak to Badlands because of the SBD.

Bonus 2DR Badlands pic!

Great write up ! I was there that same weekend also just in another group. Like you I have not done much off roading with the exception of dirt and gravel roads in south Mississippi. I was impressed with the Broncoā€˜s capability.

OP
OP
jaspercasidino

jaspercasidino

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Nice write-up...thanks for your review! I was all in for the Nevada location, but I just might change my mind and head to Moab. I mean, it's only a few more hours drive from SoCal...no big deal, right? :unsure:
Moab Off-Roadeo is on public trails whereas the others are closed courses from what I understand. I like the authentic feel of that, but I am sure that any of them will be a blast!

My wife is not interested, and pretty much a bit scared, in the idea of off-roading. I convinced her to come and try to get over her fears in a controlled environment. We'll be in Moab over Labor Day weekend, and from what I've seen of other locations, I'm assuming she can get out and "take pictures" outside the vehicle when we hit the ledges and such, right?
For someone scared of the idea of off roading, is she going to divorce me by the end of the day?
I think the Off-Roadeo is geared more towards beginners and to showcase the technology. The first major obstacle that we came across, everyone got out and went over spotting signals and the instructors did the spotting. The lead driver got in his Bronco and everyone was watching from outside the vehicle. Your wife could skip the first one probably, but she would need to get comfortable with being in the Bronco rather quickly. After an obstacle or two, she probably be loving it and glad she decided to join in on the fun!

Good stuff. If you donā€™t do Roadeo, then youā€™re an idiot imo. If you want to get in the rig and learn what it can do, then do the roadeo. Hours of off-roading before signing the dotted line.

Even if youā€™re an avid off-reader, I would think youā€™d want to make sure it can do everything youā€™re hoping for.

Just did the NH Roadeo and Iā€™m beyond stoked to get my rig now. Thinking about upgrading to Badlands to get some of the goodies like sway bar disconnect and one-pedal, etc. Since I have to wait anyways, might as well stash away more cash to put down.
I can understand someone not coming to an Off-Roadeo since they are pretty remote and transportation, car rental and hotel costs add up pretty quick. It is something that Ford does that other manufacturers charge extra for. If you can swing it, I would say do it!

Very nice write up! Weā€™re not going to do it but thatā€™s because weā€™re apparently idiots.
Ford Bronco Moab Off-Roadeo Report 08/21/21 31C94AD6-0775-46E7-A346-BDC15455D2A7

Actually, once you get your Heep make the trip and do a long weekend! Arches National Park is close by and you can go see that too!

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

4avor8ntfair

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL-non SAS, 2.3 auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Moab Off-Roadeo Report 08/21/21 31C94AD6-0775-46E7-A346-BDC15455D2A7

Picture after the event:

Other random thoughts:

Edit: I should also add that the instructors were great! Lots of experience between them, friendly, knowledgeable and funny!

Also, I now know for certain that the Bronco is worth the wait. I had been looking at everything from Ranger and F150 FX4s and Tremors and Jeeps and Tacos and ZR2s and even the new Lightning. The Bronco is the one. Iā€™ll be cancelling my Lightning reservation later this week. You need a Bronco!

Bonus 2DR Badlands pic!

For your preference on the 2.7, weā€™re there specific circumstances that the 2.3 didnā€™t have enough power? I drove the 2.3 auto badlands on an unpaved road and it had plenty of power for meā€¦thatā€™s my current order config. Iā€™d love to justify the 2.7 though šŸ˜

OP
OP
jaspercasidino

jaspercasidino

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For your preference on the 2.7, weā€™re there specific circumstances that the 2.3 didnā€™t have enough power? I drove the 2.3 auto badlands on an unpaved road and it had plenty of power for meā€¦thatā€™s my current order config. Iā€™d love to justify the 2.7 though šŸ˜
I think itā€™s a matter of perspective. I daily a 2016 M3 that I run around in Sport+ mode a lot. Instant power pretty much and a lot of it. Also have a 2016 Panigale 959 that is pretty snappy as well. I was doing a test drive of a 4DR Big Bend Sasquatch w/ 2.3L and a couple times going up a hill with the 2.3L it felt a little underpowered and didnā€™t pull or react as hard as Iā€™d like. I guess I just donā€™t want to notice the motor in the Bronco. 2.3L I did and the 2.7L I didnā€™t. Could be all in my head as well! šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Sponsored