Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Still donā€™t understand what is so capable about the ā€œcapableā€ bumperā€¦
It is a "capable" upgrade over the plastic bumper.

The launch screwed up how Ford wanted to option trims. Some can be attributed to Webasto and their inability to produce a modular HT, supply chain constraints, COVID, etc.

It is my supposition that the HD modular steel bumper was only to be an option on the Badlands like the optional wheels that are/were a FP product. All other trims where the plastic bumper is standard would have had the option to get a steel bumper by optioning the capable bumper. But the capable bumper was not available at launch. It finally made it's appearance for MY'22. By then, Ford already had the HD modular bumper standard on the BD/BL for MY'21 and optional on other trims.

Newbrunny

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It is a "capable" upgrade over the plastic bumper.

The launch screwed up how Ford wanted to option trims. Some can be attributed to Webasto and their inability to produce a modular HT, supply chain constraints, COVID, etc.

It is my supposition that the HD modular steel bumper was only to be an option on the Badlands like the optional wheels that are/were a FP product. All other trims where the plastic bumper is standard would have had the option to get a steel bumper by optioning the capable bumper. But the capable bumper was not available at launch. It finally made it's appearance for MY'22. By then, Ford already had the HD modular bumper standard on the BD/BL for MY'21 and optional on other trims.
Thanks. I get it but I think Ford marketing dropped it on the name. Should have just called it steel bumper or HD bumper. There is really nothing ā€œcapableā€ about it. It is pretty much a standard metal bumper. My sales rep was saying it has a capable bumper and Iā€™m like it is just a steel bumper.

The modular is really a capable bumper as it is capable of being adapted to ownerā€™s preference as desired and limited by wallet. Maybe should have called it the capable modular option.

bravely

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
3490 s leonard rd, new palestine in 46163
Vehicle(s)
1973 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did indeed!

It makes me wonder if the capable bumper was originally intended to be the upgraded choice rather than the HD modular bumper.

Wouldnā€™t be surprised if the HD modular bumper was originally supposed to be a Ford Performance Parts upgrade and not something available from the factory.
When I ordered my '21 Badlands, the mod bumper was standard; dropped back to the capable soon after.

Shazamalingo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Guess it's time to disassemble our broncos piece by piece as we embark on this easter egg hunt!
I mean, thatā€™s pretty much what we are all doing anyway, right? šŸ˜‚

Sponsored

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Actually, the Capable Bumper was not available at launch despite the OG Cactus Gray Mannequin that made the early publicity rounds showed it. The HD modular bumper was standard for '21 on the BD/Badlands. But that was more because it was the only steel bumper in inventory. When the Capable bumper finally became available for MY'22, the HD modular bumper became an optional upgrade.

To Bryan's theory, I would counter that the Capable bumper was always intended to be standard on the BD/Badlands and optional for other trims wanting a "capable" steel bumper. The HD modular bumper was intended to only be an option available to the Badlands.
It says "more capable", not necessarily referring to the Capable bumper. Since the Modular bumper is the most expensive and optional on vehicles that come standard with the Capable bumper, I would be more inclined to believe the more capable is the modular bumper, which is what the OP has.

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
ā€¦..or designing a wiper motor that operates at a continuous speed without stopping šŸ˜” @Ford
Are you talking about the rear wiper? My Bronco has a soft top, but on my other car the only time I have turned on the rear wiper is for a single wipe, I don't even know if it has a continuous mode seems useless to me.

BigSkyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - '96 Toyota FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you talking about the rear wiper? My Bronco has a soft top, but on my other car the only time I have turned on the rear wiper is for a single wipe, I don't even know if it has a continuous mode seems useless to me.
Nope. Talking about my windshield wipers. 5K miles and they still slow down to useless after 20 secondsā€¦..

sportcoupe

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ordered my 2023 WT and there was no "capable bumper" option. Just a standard steel bumper or HD modular upgrade.

friethmiller

Everglades
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150, 1974 Porsche 914, 1974 Porsche 914 LE
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Nope. Talking about my windshield wipers. 5K miles and they still slow down to useless after 20 secondsā€¦..
This needs to be a safety recall!! Far worse than that pseudo-issue of seatbelt retainers - or whatever they called it.

Sponsored

BigSkyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - '96 Toyota FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This needs to be a safety recall!! Far worse than that pseudo-issue of seatbelt retainers - or whatever they called it.
Agreed! I've already submitted my documented issue with the NHTSA. Hopefully if they hear from enough of us who cannot see in the rain, we'll get some results.

Jimsea

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not to get side tracked but as a data point my 2022 bd has no issues with the wipers. Just went across the everglades and back in a down pour.
Sponsored