First Name
Divelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Quick update. I got my Bronco back today. It was repaired under warranty. I questioned the tech who worked on it and asked him if there is a draw on the battery while the vehicle is in neutral tow mode. He had no idea. He also was concerned about the AFO applying brakes and those brake codes in the DCM that were flagged.

They obviously don’t know anything about supplemental braking systems because after he told me that the brakes were applied during the towing session. I explained to him how the AFO operates and then he stated that was probably why the codes came up.

Thats not a real vote of confidence for the tech. I told him about the issues some of the F150 owners were having with battery depletion and the neutral tow disengaged when the battery voltage got low and he quasi confirmed that does happen.

They also told me they are still having nothing but issues with the 10-speed automatic transmission. That another negative vote for Ford Motor Company.

They want me to rent a trailer and take my Bronco back to Cali on the trailer. Hell, if I wanted to do that, I’d trailer my BMW X5.

Thats the reason I leased the Bronco, because you can flat tow it. The Service Writer hinted that if I didn’t trailer it home and the same situation happened, Ford WOULD NOT cover it.

She is getting flat towed back to Cali and I intend on stopping frequently, checking on the battery voltage and making sure that everything seems to be in working order.
Did the dealership give you any reason why they wanted you to tow it on a trailer? I mean honestly for them to tell you that you need to trailer it screams "we know that there is an issue with flat towing the Bronco" don't you agree?
Sponsored

63GBPackerfan

Outer Banks
First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I do. I did contact my rep at Ford HQ and he talked to a head technician who stated " the transmission defaults to park when the battery loses charge, so if being flat towed it would shift into park from neutral. " That’s the answer that I needed to hear.

lylefk

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hi there. First thing, I'm sorry so many of you are having to deal with this, what a horrible nightmare it must be.

I'm just wondering if anyone is having this problem with a manual trans, or is this strictly an automatic problem?

Thanks for any feedback, deciding whether this is the vehicle for us for a full time tow behind rig.

Lyle

63GBPackerfan

Outer Banks
First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi there. First thing, I'm sorry so many of you are having to deal with this, what a horrible nightmare it must be.

I'm just wondering if anyone is having this problem with a manual trans, or is this strictly an automatic problem?

Thanks for any feedback, deciding whether this is the vehicle for us for a full time tow behind rig.

Lyle
I don't think you'll have the same issue with a manual as it is a "manual" and you would physically have to take it out of neutral. AFAIK, there are no electronics involved in that operation.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After 12+ hours of leaving my Bronco in neutral tow mode, there was only a minimal drop in voltage on the battery. It dropped from 12.75v to 12.33v. I’m happy with the results. The Bronco also came out of neutral tow mode with no issue, but I never saw the dash indicator that neutral tow was disengaged.
Did you run a similar test, but with the neutral tow disengaged, to determine if there was similar drop in voltage under normal conditions?

Sponsored

63GBPackerfan

Outer Banks
First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Did you run a similar test, but with the neutral tow disengaged, to determine if there was similar drop in voltage under normal conditions?
I did not. I know there is parasitic draw. I may do that soon.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sucks for those having issues….

Makes me happy I had the shop that installed my Air Force 1 brake system add a charge line from my motorhome to the Bronco. This runs off the 7th pin of the coach’s trailer plug so there’s no additional wire running from the coach to the Bronco.

I also take the Bronco out of flat tow mode in the evening and re-engage the next morning when making quick overnight stops even though we don’t do that much.

So far I’ve got 7,000 flat tow miles on the Bronco with no issues. Nock on wood….

63GBPackerfan

Outer Banks
First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sucks for those having issues….

Makes me happy I had the shop that installed my Air Force 1 brake system add a charge line from my motorhome to the Bronco. This runs off the 7th pin of the coach’s trailer plug so there’s no additional wire running from the coach to the Bronco.

I also take the Bronco out of flat tow mode in the evening and re-engage the next morning when making quick overnight stops even though we don’t do that much.

So far I’ve got 7,000 flat tow miles on the Bronco with no issues. Nock on wood….
I am getting a charge line installed soon. I was doing the same thing on overnight trips. I'd start it up and let it run for awhile after taking it out of flat tow.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I do. I did contact my rep at Ford HQ and he talked to a head technician who stated " the transmission defaults to park when the battery loses charge, so if being flat towed it would shift into park from neutral. " That’s the answer that I needed to hear.
Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand. I wouldn't think the transmission in Park would cause a transmission problem as it wouldn't be turning, the transfer case would still be in neutral with the oil pump operating so it should be happy. The issue would be potential steering lock up in a turn with transmission in Park.
My Jeep had you tow in transfer case in neutral, transmission in Park and key to unlock to prevent steering lock up. @gtharris, are you watching this thread? Thoughts?

63GBPackerfan

Outer Banks
First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The tech told me that would cause an issue with the Bronco going into park while being flat towed. The transfer case must also engage when the voltage drops that low.

Sponsored

GddyupGG

Outer Banks
First Name
Divelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So in my opinion that is definitely a flaw in the Flat Tow system that Ford has on the Bronco's. Wouldn't you agree? What causes the voltage to drop?

Blue Bulldog

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So in my opinion that is definitely a flaw in the Flat Tow system that Ford has on the Bronco's. Wouldn't you agree? What causes the voltage to drop?
Like myself, most people run a supplemental brake system in the Bronco that requires power.

Ford, if your following this you need to fix a huge flaw. The only reason I bought the Bronco was because I could flat tow it. Now that you won't warranty it I'm down $7200. And will have to buy a trailer if I want to take it with me. How could I ever trust it again.

63GBPackerfan

Outer Banks
First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
i would say parasitic draw. We towed for 5 straight days.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Like myself, most people run a supplemental brake system in the Bronco that requires power.

Ford, if your following this you need to fix a huge flaw. The only reason I bought the Bronco was because I could flat tow it. Now that you won't warranty it I'm down $7200. And will have to buy a trailer if I want to take it with me. How could I ever trust it again.
Supplemental brake systems shouldn’t be getting power from your Bronco, this should come from the RV, but if it does get power from the Bronco you need to install a charge line from your RV to the Bronco.

63GBPackerfan

Outer Banks
First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Supplemental brake systems shouldn’t be getting power from your Bronco, this should come from the RV, but if it does get power from the Bronco you need to install a charge line from your RV to the Bronco.
The flaw in the Ford "tow" system is that there is always a parasitic draw on the battery as the neutral tow feature is an electronic feature and will draw on the battery. Yes, the problem is solved by a charge line, but the system shouldn't be allowed to drop voltage to where the neutral tow feature disengages and drops the vehicle into Park. That is a fatal flaw for the transmission.
Sponsored