Sponsored

Power side steps for Northern salt/snow regions?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GF: 2022 HPR Badsquatch 2.7 Me: 2014 Chevy SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey all,

Badsquatch 4 door is built and on the way and I'm trying to weigh the options for side steps. Michigan is part of the 'rust belt' that uses salt on their roads which obviously isn't great for metal. My GF had trouble hopping in her current Colorado ZR2 so I got some side steps for it and I'm sure she'll need something for the Bronco.

There's a few power step options that I've seen:
  • Rock Slide Engineering Step Slider
  • Aries ActionTrack (won't fit 35" tires)
  • Amp Research PowerSteps
Anyone have any experience with these in colder, salty climates? I'm wondering how well the electric motors, wiring, and mechanical bits would hold up over a few winters or even longer term. A friend of mine had a Denali truck with factory power steps and last year he had to take them apart to clean/lube them again. That's why I'm wondering if aftermarket ones would be any better or worse.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
My mom's '13 F150 Limited has the factory optioned Amp steps. Alaska, where they salt the roads even when it's sunny and dry, and those steps have been completely unmaintained and problem free for 9 years now.

I wish Amp made a slider version, because the Rockslides are ugly as sin

OP
OP
FuzzyBobMichigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My mom's '13 F150 Limited has the factory optioned Amp steps. Alaska, where they salt the roads even when it's sunny and dry, and those steps have been completely unmaintained and problem free for 9 years now.

I wish Amp made a slider version, because the Rockslides are ugly as sin
Interesting... I figured they'd be the most susceptible to corrosion issues because of the more exposed mechanical part. Guess I should look into warranties and maybe shoot a question to the companies too about salt/winter.

OP
OP
FuzzyBobMichigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Poop, Aries are out because they don't fit on Broncos with 35" tires. :cautious:
Sponsored