Sponsored

PSA on Bestop Sunrider install -- don't use the 5.5mm spacer that Bestop supplies

FDHog

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat FX4, 22 Road Glide ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's an older thread on this, but for those of you putting a Sunrider on your 2dr, don't use the 5.5mm spacer that Bestop supplies. It leaves a large gap on the sides where the Sunrider meets the factory top. Some guys remove the spacer completely, but I found that to put a lot of stress on the plastic frame. I installed metal washers about half the thickness of the plastic spacers, and they worked great. the frame doesn't bend too much and the gaps close completely.
Sponsored

Farmerjim47933

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ram2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There's an older thread on this, but for those of you putting a Sunrider on your 2dr, don't use the 5.5mm spacer that Bestop supplies. It leaves a large gap on the sides where the Sunrider meets the factory top. Some guys remove the spacer completely, but I found that to put a lot of stress on the plastic frame. I installed metal washers about half the thickness of the plastic spacers, and they worked great. the frame doesn't bend too much and the gaps close completely.
I Agree,called Bestop and they didn't care about their bad install video and documentation. A carwash would be bad if you had installed 5.5 washers.

derichio02

Raptor
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor, Bronco Wildtrak, Maverick, Tesla M3
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I have also found that the bestop tag on the passenger side causes popping noises at speed. Had my wife hold it still to confirm. Thinking of ways to hold it down without cutting it off.

spuddy59

Base
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Jeez, I want something like a Sunrider so badly but I can’t justify the price when I frequently see posts about horrible fitment and poor customer service.

Reactions: cbs

Santos

Badlands
First Name
Santo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977F100:1970 Mustang Fastback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Its not the tag. Already cut it off its the side if the top itself, i put a small towel again
I have also found that the bestop tag on the passenger side causes popping noises at speed. Had my wife hold it still to confirm. Thinking of ways to hold it down without cutting it off.
st it to stop the flapping sound the pop your hearing.

Sponsored

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2 more notes on the Sunrider for a 2 door.

1) Check your rivets to make sure they are not hitting the paint. Mine was new 4/23 and still had the issue. Seems to have been a problem since day 1 that has not been addressed just like the washers being too thick.

2) the flapping comes from the center rod being too loose in the fabric sleeve. I opened the Velcro and installed some foam to tighten it up. You can test to see if it is your noise by grabbing the excess material in the center and sort of clamping it to the rod. Most noticeable when your windows are down but will flap / pop other times depending on how the wind hits the roof.

derichio02

Raptor
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Its not the tag. Already cut it off its the side if the top itself, i put a small towel again
st it to stop the flapping sound the pop your hearing.
I used painters tape to tape the tag down and there were zero popping noises. Gonna start there

derichio02

Raptor
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
2 more notes on the Sunrider for a 2 door.

1) Check your rivets to make sure they are not hitting the paint. Mine was new 4/23 and still had the issue. Seems to have been a problem since day 1 that has not been addressed just like the washers being too thick.

2) the flapping comes from the center rod being too loose in the fabric sleeve. I opened the Velcro and installed some foam to tighten it up. You can test to see if it is your noise by grabbing the excess material in the center and sort of clamping it to the rod. Most noticeable when your windows are down but will flap / pop other times depending on how the wind hits the roof.
I added foam insulation to the pipe as well as well
Sponsored