Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm able to pay the bills with some spending money at the end of every month, not as much as when my wife was working but some. The only reason I have to work so many hours is the demand of the nursing home. We opened up a covid unit and the preparation that went into that were astronomical. With so many nurses and CNAs unable to come into work I've been all over the home trying to help out and pick up where I can. Hopefully when all this finally dies down I can go back to my regular 40 hours a week. The extra cash has been nice but you all are right in saying the 80 hours is a death sentence. I don't know what people know in here about overtime pay but when your over 10 hours or more the taxes are insane. I do bring home more but in reality the govt. Takes their cut, hopefully I get a decent return this upcoming year.
Just as a friendly reminder, I've heard this argument about "I made more money so I pay more taxes cause I earned over xyz amount, and it's not worth it." The US tax system is tiered. You will never be retroactively punished for earning more money. You may end up paying more in taxes that paycheck, but it'll all come back during tax filing. There's thresholds you have to cross into the next brackets, but it is never worth it to accept less money because of a higher tax threshold.

And thanks for taking care of our coronavirus patients and facilities. Your work may be unsung and unfairly paid for the risk, but believe me, your work is not unappreciated.
Sponsored

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Remember that you have already realized your dream...there’s nothing more precious than a baby. Focus on her and if sites like this forum cause too much temptation then you may want to consider whether it is a good idea to hang around here at such a turning point in your life.
Forum talk can cause much loss of common sense and can lead to needles expense just because “everyone else is doing it!”
?

kairo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Remember that you have already realized your dream...there’s nothing more precious than a baby. Focus on her and if sites like this forum cause too much temptation then you may want to consider whether it is a good idea to hang around here at such a turning point in your life.
Forum talk can cause much loss of common sense and can lead to needles expense just because “everyone else is doing it!”
?
I think this is a pretty fair argument. We're all here because we love the new Bronco, and many of us remember it from our youth.

This forum will be a constant ringing in everyone's ears that they need to buy it. The bronco is new, sexy, and has unlimited potential. But for $40k-$60k, it's just a piss poor buy for transportation unless you want it. It's not a need, it's a want. Family and stability always come first. Hot new vehicles come and go. Broncos will be available second hand soon enough.

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger FX4 (MANUAL) & '74 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A lot of good advice here. I would say all of its good depending on situation.

My advice... I hate to say it... is hold off on a new Bronco. At least until they're sitting on the lots looking for buyers.

Not sure how old your step-son is (and those situations can be, in a way, competitive if the father is still in the picture), but a new vehicle won't matter to your daughter, and probably not to your wife.
So it sounds like it may be more important to you personally and also as a way of bonding with your step-son.

I would focus on saving up a while longer (which can be an important lesson for your step-son) and using some of the money on experiences (camping, travelling,...). Children grow up fast, so make sure you invest in experiences and memories.

It sounds like you're pretty handy, so an older vehicle to wrench on and modify for off-roading with your step-son might be a better fit. Sadly, with the hype, older Bronco prices have been pretty crazy.

Then again, just depends on situation.

As for making more money... I'm a big fan of the side jobs. I held off on some new car purchases over the years to buy properties, flip and rent them out until it was a good time to sell.

bobbleheadguru

Base
First Name
Farris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I sold my '87 Firebird Formula 350 in 1997, just before my daughter was born. I loved that car! Then I was sensible with cars until I bought my current Mustang in 2017, after both my kids grew up. 20 years was a long time to wait, but it was worth it.

Sponsored

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It is refreshing to hear such comments of refrain and patience and prioritizing the really important things in life.
I am truly happy to be part of this fine group of people.

And BTW down in the Lone Star State, as a Physician I am fighting this Covid-19 demon every day. This forum provides a welcome respite when I have to rest and take a break. Keep up the good work, keep that chin up and carry on with the good fight.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Rpowell91

Badlands
First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This really is a great community of people and I'm grateful for everyone's help.

5.0Maverick

Base
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 maverick.
Your Bronco Model
Base
^^^^^^^^

I am Incredibly proud of every single person offering encouraging and thoughtful words. I feel humbled just reading this thread. Thank you ?.

I am not in this mans position, however I am entering real adulthood looking to learn how to do better for myself and my future family. I want to thank the OP for the courage to ask relative strangers for honest help and guidance.

The only thing I have to offer is this; I have also recently gone back to school to change professions that will afford me the income to move forward with life toward greater goals. I would like to echo a previous post that encouraged exploring other areas of work that may be somewhat familiar but ultimately a better position. I hesitated for a few years and it is now a regret as I was too nervous, yet I will be much better off for it.

As another has also noted, some of the best memories I have as a “youngish” man, was my dad teaching me and helping me build my maverick that’s in my picture. Him being a printer in nj, had he bought a 40k truck, he would not have been able to do that for me. And I also would not have cared about his truck as a kid either.

good luck and thank you again for posting

kairo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

^^^^^^^^

I am Incredibly proud of every single person offering encouraging and thoughtful words. I feel humbled just reading this thread. Thank you ?.

I am not in this mans position, however I am entering real adulthood looking to learn how to do better for myself and my future family. I want to thank the OP for the courage to ask relative strangers for honest help and guidance.

The only thing I have to offer is this; I have also recently gone back to school to change professions that will afford me the income to move forward with life toward greater goals. I would like to echo a previous post that encouraged exploring other areas of work that may be somewhat familiar but ultimately a better position. I hesitated for a few years and it is now a regret as I was too nervous, yet I will be much better off for it.

As another has also noted, some of the best memories I have as a “youngish” man, was my dad teaching me and helping me build my maverick that’s in my picture. Him being a printer in nj, had he bought a 40k truck, he would not have been able to do that for me. And I also would not have cared about his truck as a kid either.

good luck and thank you again for posting
This is what the internet was originally designed and meant to be. An open forum for folks to ask questions or seek advise and not get lambasted by a bunch of shitty comments or memes.

Car forums are generally pretty good about this. Heck, if we could all instantly afford the cars we wanted, we wouldn't be enthusiasts anyways.

The rest of the internet, buyer beware where you tread lol. And I say this as someone who absolutely LOVES to argue with people on Reddit.
Sponsored