Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had to video record their video because I can't share it. Ignore my 2 boys yapping in the background lol They also have rain gutters for soft tops in the works which i'm very interested in
Sponsored

dadjoke

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Big Bend 4-Door 2.7 MIC Auto Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Edit: hopefully this will permanently fix the image issue?

Ford Bronco Rear A/C conversion? 1692729506402

So this is insanely random and...probably more than a bit just 'insane' but I figured it out. By Design, Ford is blocking the downspouts for the Rear Floor Vents (Red Arrows) by about 80-90% by way of an internal flat plastic piece that extends to cover most of the volume of the hole (NOTE: This is NOT the Ford Item #18K358, which is a 2-door only piece. This is simply how the housing appears to be designed/built) The only passthrough is toward the vehicle's center and is about 1" on each side.

I was able to use a generic clamp and a small format pipe/tube camera to look down into the opening from the position of the (removed) front floor vents from a fixed position. Then, I attached the offset/flex-shaft attachment to my no-name dremel ($5...I mean...a steal), fed it up through the bottom through the existing opening, then use the camera to reference where my hand/the dremel moved...I was able to grind out a good amount of material that was blocking the downspout, and more importantly not blow holes through a bunch of random stuff.

Like I said, it's probably a crazy thing to do, and if I'd done it wrong I could have given myself thousands in repair costs. I didn't take it lightly and I had looked at it pretty closely before doing anything.

I don't have metrics or before/after except the 'hand in front of the vents' test and yes, I would say there is a noticeable improvement in flow...my hand used to have to be fairly close to the vent and now I can feel the flow well back behind the front seat.

IF you're going to try -

-Wear gloves, holy cow I'm cut up.
-Try and get metrics?!
-TAKE YOUR TIME. This isn't something you want to rush. I did have one 'happy accident' where I put a hole where one shouldn't be and I had to plug it. Don't do worse than me :)
-Is this a mod I get to name?

Last edited:

PM1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I haven't really focused on the AC but it seems weird to design a car with no AC vents to the rear. I think here in Texas that would be a nonstarter unless the front vents are of ungodly strength. I will concede that there isn't much temperature variation between areas of the interior, but at least having cold air blowing calms the kids down when they hop in the car on a 110 degree day.

This seems like an odd omission for 4-door SUV. What is the reason behind leaving it out from the factory?

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Seems like way more effort than it's worth. My kids stayed nice and cool all summer in NC. The center vents aimed at the back, everyone gets their own vent and it cools off super fast. My kids said the Bronco keeps them cooler than our last vehicle which had vents for every row. In fact they'd always tell me to turn the air down cause they were getting cold after driving for a few minutes..

wanna1

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford F150 Platinum 4x4 2022 Mach E
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
View attachment 395886

So this is insanely random and...probably more than a bit just 'insane' but I figured it out. By Design, Ford is blocking the downspouts for the Rear Floor Vents (Red Arrows) by about 80-90% by way of an internal flat plastic piece that extends to cover most of the volume of the hole (NOTE: This is NOT the Ford Item #18K358, which is a 2-door only piece. This is simply how the housing appears to be designed/built) The only passthrough is toward the vehicle's center and is about 1" on each side.

I was able to use a generic clamp and a small format pipe/tube camera to look down into the opening from the position of the (removed) front floor vents from a fixed position. Then, I attached the offset/flex-shaft attachment to my no-name dremel ($5...I mean...a steal), fed it up through the bottom through the existing opening, then use the camera to reference where my hand/the dremel moved...I was able to grind out a good amount of material that was blocking the downspout, and more importantly not blow holes through a bunch of random stuff.

Like I said, it's probably a crazy thing to do, and if I'd done it wrong I could have given myself thousands in repair costs. I didn't take it lightly and I had looked at it pretty closely before doing anything.

I don't have metrics or before/after except the 'hand in front of the vents' test and yes, I would say there is a noticeable improvement in flow...my hand used to have to be fairly close to the vent and now I can feel the flow well back behind the front seat.

IF you're going to try -

-Wear gloves, holy cow I'm cut up.
-Try and get metrics?!
-TAKE YOUR TIME. This isn't something you want to rush. I did have one 'happy accident' where I put a hole where one shouldn't be and I had to plug it. Don't do worse than me :)
-Is this a mod I get to name?
Thanks for all this work!!!
That said - what are the GREEN arrows?

Sponsored

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I say let 'em sweat! 🤓! Just kidding. My kids moan and gripe about no air in the back. I would definitely consider the Mabbett solution when available. Otherwise I will have to install a taxi barrier between the front and back seats.

doccoch

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 1967 Mustang Fastback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can't believe I'm just seeing this thread!! I've been working on a solution since day 1 and had no idea a major vendor was coming up with a fix. I usually do things MY WAY, but I'm chunking my rig job and gonna wait for this! 90% of the time I'm driving my 4-door alone so even if I had to change settings when someone is in the back it would only be occasional.

dadjoke

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Big Bend 4-Door 2.7 MIC Auto Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks for all this work!!!
That said - what are the GREEN arrows?

Green arrows just indicate where the 'front floor vents' attach - this is where I was entering with the camera to view the top side

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would maybe suggest searching the Ranger forum I can't imagine someone hasn't figured something out in the last four years or so. That being said I have never heard a complaint from any passengers in the rear of my Ranger about the temp.

refotsirk

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Odyssey; 2020 Buick Enclave
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
View attachment 395886

Is there a chance you could re-upload the pic? It seems to be down and I was hoping to get a head start on what to take apart.