Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So I was T-boned by an uninsured driver who ran a stop sign. I am fine, Bronco needs body work, air bag replacements and a new rear axle. Ford dealer says new real axle is on back order, for a long time.
My base Bronco is 7mt, 4.46 open diff. What else can I use for the rear axle??
Thanks
Sponsored

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'll be pulling my rear axle out sometime in December and it's a 4.46 with open diff. But I'm in California so shipping cost and timeframe would probably make mine a poor choice for you as well.

You might check with Ford Performance rather than Ford factory replacement parts. They offer a 4.46 rear axle assembly with locker. Maybe those are either in stock or shorter lead times, and you'd gain a rear locker in the bargain. https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-4000-446B

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is when i'd shop around for a matched pair of takeoffs with a M210 front end and locking rear.
See if you can get insurance to cover the swap for the rear.
Swap the front on your dime.

OP
OP
prmaise

prmaise

Base
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'll be pulling my rear axle out sometime in December and it's a 4.46 with open diff. But I'm in California so shipping cost and timeframe would probably make mine a poor choice for you as well.

You might check with Ford Performance rather than Ford factory replacement parts. They offer a 4.46 rear axle assembly with locker. Maybe those are either in stock or shorter lead times, and you'd gain a rear locker in the bargain. https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-4000-446B
Hey thanks for the reply and offer. Been talking to my Ford dealer today and the stock rear axle is still back ordered at least a month. Ford has already said they will replace the entire axle from rotor to rotor just like the Performance part M 4000 446B.
The dealer is willing to order and install the Performance part M 4000 446B but not the wiring kit that you have to also order, 14489 BR. The dealer wants to talk to Ford Performance first and expects a call back tomorrow.
Couple of questions you might be able to help out on:
0) how hard is it to install the wiring kit
1) The Ford Performance site says can take up to 14 days to deliver, can they do that faster?
2) If the dealer installs the new Performance axle and not install the wiring kit, what state is the axle in by default, locked or unlocked? I would have to drive it some before I can install the wiring harness switch.
Thanks!

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey thanks for the reply and offer. Been talking to my Ford dealer today and the stock rear axle is still back ordered at least a month. Ford has already said they will replace the entire axle from rotor to rotor just like the Performance part M 4000 446B.
The dealer is willing to order and install the Performance part M 4000 446B but not the wiring kit that you have to also order, 14489 BR. The dealer wants to talk to Ford Performance first and expects a call back tomorrow.
1) The Ford Performance site says can take up to 14 days to deliver, can they do that faster?
2) If the dealer installs the new Performance axle and not install the wiring kit, what state is the axle in by default, locked or unlocked? I would have to drive it some before I can install the wiring harness switch.
Thanks!
If your budget allows, see if they will let you pay the difference for the Dana 60 Semi-float, LOL. The lockers will not be default locked. I'd say any reputable shop should be able to handle the wiring relatively easy if you're not comfortable with it.

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks!
0) I haven't done the wiring yet but I intend to buy the parts online and wire it up myself rather than using Ford's wiring kit. I've looked at the instructions for the Ford kit and It doesn't look too hard but I have no way of judging what would be easy or difficult for you. I would suggest that, if you're at least handy with basic tools, you could tackle it yourself. If you've never even popped the hood on a car before, let the dealer do it.

1) I have no clue about Ford Performance's lead times. Sorry, can't help you there at all.

2) Yes I think you should be able to drive around on it without the wiring hooked up. It's just a simple 2-wire connection that is either energized or not. When it's not, that's the same as not being hooked up at all. That would leave the locker disengaged, basically it will function just like an open differential.
Sponsored