Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
IMG_2627.png
not sure if it’s been mentioned here already, but Silverado Canyon is pretty tame with some insane views once you get to the very top. You can see all of LA, OC, and more.
Overall, it’s easy, at least when I did it about a year ago. We’ve had a lot of rain since then, so hopefully it’s not washed out.

there are some points where you’re riding along a sheer cliff and if you have to pass someone it can be pretty sketchy. I have a base Bronco non-Sasquatch and I was able to do it no problem as a novice off-roader.
I tried the Maple Springs Road too a few months back and there was a gate that said we couldn't go any further. So, I took a 2 hour RT drive for nothing lol. Was it the same road where you had to drive through a 2-lane road through a small-town looking place?
Sponsored

Theblobishere92

Base
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah, there are a few modern looking building but many of them look like something out of the 1800’s. Lots of old cars and trucks along side fancier ones if my memory serves me.
Then you drive past a gate (it’s always open when I’ve driven through) and you take a cemented road for maybe half a mile to a mile where it transitions to dirt.
I’ve done it 3 times since I got my Bronco.

it sucks that it’s closed though, many of the beginner trails I’ve gone to have been closed after all the rain we got last year. I’ll post some other trails that I went to that were closed in the last year

Theblobishere92

Base
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco Recommendation for moderate off-road trail in SoCal IMG_2629

I drove an hour and a half out to Ojai in January of this year only to get there and this road was closed leaving North out of Ojai due to rain damage. There are a few trails off of that road.

Theblobishere92

Base
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco Recommendation for moderate off-road trail in SoCal IMG_2630

I moved from LA to Temecula in May. Decided to check out this trail that’s on the way to Idyllwild. I got there and there was a sign that said the trail was closed due to hazardous roads. I saw a park ranger and he said it’s totally washed out. He said you could maybe do it in a totally kitted out Jeep, but he wouldn’t recommend doing it in my “stock Bronco”.

so we wound up going up the mountain to Thomas Mountain (near Lake Hemet) which was easy to drive and a lot of fun. Great views.

Sponsored
OP
OP
adrewpower

adrewpower

Black Diamond
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 & Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks amazing. I’ll have to check that out sometime.
Went down to Anza-Boreggo area a couple weeks ago. Did Sanstone Canyon. It was cool to see, but not worth the hours of driving and 115 degree temps. This weekend we may hit up one of the trails up near Big Bear.
Reading about trail closures is a great reminder to check on closures before we head out in the morning. I know that Maple Springs route up to Santiago Peak closes often if there’s been rain. But the view is worth the drive.
Once again, thank you for the recommendations. Hopefully this thread helps people get a feel for all the great trails we can take advantage of in SoCal.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There is actually a Little Thomas Mountain truck trail in Garner Valley that is in between Thomas mountain and Lake Hemet. It’s a nice drive and will lead you from 74 to Anza and 371. Also across hwy 74 from the little Thomas mountain trailhead is the Fobes Ranch area.

Icypu

Everglades
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Went down to Anza-Boreggo area a couple weeks ago. Did Sanstone Canyon. It was cool to see, but not worth the hours of driving and 115 degree temps. This weekend we may hit up one of the trails up near Big Bear.
Reading about trail closures is a great reminder to check on closures before we head out in the morning. I know that Maple Springs route up to Santiago Peak closes often if there’s been rain. But the view is worth the drive.
Once again, thank you for the recommendations. Hopefully this thread helps people get a feel for all the great trails we can take advantage of in SoCal.
I recommend maple springs trail to Holy Jim. I took my sasquatch up there no problems. There are river crossings on the west side and a good view around 4900 ft. Note to call the ranger station in advance to see if the Holy Jim side to corona/lake elsinore is open. It was not on my trip. At the top are some good views and a locked gate down towards the Ortega highway. Go early at 0645 to avoid the jeeps.

20230530_165932.jpg

20230530_160641.jpg

7sKnuckledragger

Heritage
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ, 1978 K5, 2007.5 Ram 2500, 2022 F150
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Around anza borrego and occatillo wells there are so many amazing trails. Some of the best desert and slot canyons in so cal. I don’t go in the summer but spring winter and fall I go.

rblock50

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I recommend maple springs trail to Holy Jim. I took my sasquatch up there no problems. There are river crossings on the west side and a good view around 4900 ft. Note to call the ranger station in advance to see if the Holy Jim side to corona/lake elsinore is open. It was not on my trip. At the top are some good views and a locked gate down towards the Ortega highway. Go early at 0645 to avoid the jeeps.

Ford Bronco Recommendation for moderate off-road trail in SoCal 20230530_160641

Ford Bronco Recommendation for moderate off-road trail in SoCal 20230530_160641
Could you be so kind as to throw in a google map of the entry point to this? I’ve tried (I think) this trail before and was geared by a gate, with no indication that it was the right place. Thanks!!

Sponsored

Erniep27

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sweet!! I’m going to have to check some of these out this weekend thanks for sharing 👍🏼

Kach Vartan

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think I know the answer to this, but are there any off-road trails in the Santa Monica Mountains or Santana Susana Mountains? I’m located in South SF Valley and was hoping there were some local trails within 30-45 minutes driving distance. I get the sense most of the nearby mountain trails are reserved for hikers/bikers. Maybe there are some in the Eastern Santa Monicas or near Thousand Oaks/Simi Valley?

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'69 Ford Bronco, '19 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you are in OC big bear is an easy go to.
mild… gold mountain is a really fun trail with only a couple of technical sections. Around the lake and to the north around John Bull and Holcomb there are a ton of dirt roads that take you to neat meadows and vistas.
If you’re in SD area head east, really neat exploring off the 8 (Julian area) and east is salton sea. Around there is ocatillo wells, anza borrego, borrego springs and in that area there are slot canyons, sandstone caves and tons of very mild to intermediate trails to explore. North east you can find 29 palms area and take the trails to pioneer town. Really cool restaurant out there and you can trail ride out or Johnson valley from there.
Johnson / Lucerne valley is rock crawler Mecca (king of the hammers)
North west is calico ghost town. Amazing dirt road and mine exploration with the Odessa and Duran loop trail that’s intermediate.
South at the 15 and 138 you have cleghorn which can be mild to intermediate
North west you have restock canyon, dove springs, McIvers cabin, Burro Schmidt and all the areas south of the 178 off the 14
Easr of the 14 is trona and the piutes
Isham canyon is over there definitely advanced.
Near the 14/5 fwy you have boquet trail
Rower flats
Drink water flats
All the backroads up around the 2 between the antelope valley and San Gabriel. Lots of dirt roads to cruise
North of SCV is miller jeep trail and Gorman (hungry valley)
Lots and lots of places. I’ve been wheeling and exploring the south west for 30 years. Hope this helps and if you have questions just ask
Great list. Should be a sticky. Love Gold Mountain (coming down) as a good first intermediate trail

7sKnuckledragger

Heritage
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ, 1978 K5, 2007.5 Ram 2500, 2022 F150
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Ford Bronco Recommendation for moderate off-road trail in SoCal IMG_5814
Great list. Should be a sticky. Love Gold Mountain (coming down) as a good first intermediate trail
Tried to do “last chance canyon” today but the road to garlock was closed for flooding. Spent the day checking old mines and caves east of Dove springs, so many great trails back there. For anyone that wants mild to well into intermediate that area is great. Ended at Burrow Schmidt’s tunnel.
Sponsored