First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JK 2DR 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ok. So here’s what I did. I wanted to see what I could do with the “plastic” bumper.

I knew that the plastic bumper mounted to the frame just like any bumper but there were a couple of obstacles.

My Bronco was a base. It didn’t come with fog lights or even Aux switches, So I had to improvise.

This is the winch plate with bull bar that I purchased. Got it on eBay and not too expensive.

It’s made for the capable or modular bumper, so you have to do a bit of cutting…

IMG_6349.jpeg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1554580660...C8cjncLRvq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

IMG_8872.jpeg

When you pull off the bumper cap, you are facing this:

IMG_0085.jpeg

There’s the 3 bolts that secure the bumper to the frame, but to be able to access the bolts to mount the winch plate, you need to cut away that thick piece of plastic between the 2 bolts and the single bolt. If you cut at the yellow lines that piece of plastic will just come right off.

(I used an oscillating saw from Harbor Freight. About $30 not including the blade) Be careful though, wear eye protection. Oscillating saws tend to melt more than cut and that spitting molten plastic is not as pleasant on the skin as you might think.

IMG_0084.jpeg

You’ll also find the hole for the fogs. If you use round fogs they might fit. I went with square:

Amazon.com: OFFROADTOWN Flush Mount LED Pods, 2pcs 5'' 78W Driving Lights Work Light Bar Super Bright Fog Off Road Lights for Truck UTV ATV SUV Boat 4x4 Car : Automotive

If you use these or anything like them, you’ll need to cut the round hole square. Once that’s all done though, you should be able to attache the mounting brackets cleanly.

That’s pretty much it. You know have a capable bumper. Once the brackets are secured, the plate and the bull bar goes on pretty quickly.

I wired the fogs then cut a “U” shape out of the bumper cover to accomdate the mounting brackets and I cut a square to fit the fogs. I used about 3” long 1/2” thick galvanized bolts on the ends and on the other side of the “U” cut out under the mounting brackets. They screw right into plastic so they hold and look pretty good. I don’t have any sensors there.

I also added the round amber fogs a bit later, but they may need to be relocated to make room for the winch.
IMG_6350.jpeg
What did you do with the tow hooks? Cut them off? Did you ditch the plastic skid plate?
Sponsored

JC2DR

Base
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base 2dr 2.3 7speed
Your Bronco Model
Base
What did you do with the tow hooks? Cut them off? Did you ditch the plastic skid plate?
The plastic skid plate is still there but will be replaced by a full set of metal in a few weeks. The tow hooks are still there but hard to see. I will take those off once I get the new skid plates. I'll to install frame horn reinforcement as well.

Last edited:

jayr1959

Big Bend
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JK 2DR 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The plastic skid plate is still there but will be replaced by a full set of metal in a few weeks. The tow hooks are still there but hard to see. I will take those off once I get the new skid plates. I'll to install frame horn reinforcement as well.
Thanks. I really like what you did. I have been trying to decide if I want to replace with a modular or aftermarket. I think what you did will meet my needs. I want to keep weight down. I have been getting 23 MPG in normal mode and I know that would drop with a heavy bumper.

JC2DR

Base
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base 2dr 2.3 7speed
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks. I really like what you did. I have been trying to decide if I want to replace with a modular or aftermarket. I think what you did will meet my needs. I want to keep weight down. I have been getting 23 MPG in normal mode and I know that would drop with a heavy bumper.
Ultimately, I can't say that I won't go with a different bumper but I wanted to do the work and everyone said that there wasn't anything that could be done with a standard bumper. I didn't believe that. Right now though it works for my needs.
Sponsored