First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Highlander, ‘15 Taurus, ‘18 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m replacing my plastic bumper. If I don’t connect the fog light connectors to a light source, will it trigger an error message? Can or should the connectors be plugged If abandoning them?

Or, where can I find an extension harness to connect a different set of fog lights in the middle of the new bumper? Not sure how to tackle this issue if adding fog lights to the new bumper.
Sponsored

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’m replacing my plastic bumper. If I don’t connect the fog light connectors to a light source, will it trigger an error message? Can or should the connectors be plugged If abandoning them?

Or, where can I find an extension harness to connect a different set of fog lights in the middle of the new bumper? Not sure how to tackle this issue if adding fog lights to the new bumper.
You shouldn't need an extension harness. It is pretty long. I had the harness on my big bend and replaced my plastic bumper with a BAMF and used the harness for my SAE Squadrons. 4x4truckleds.com can build you any harness or connectors you would need.

20230706_144602.jpg

bniknar

Big Bend
First Name
Bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An old EcoDriver
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don't know. There's a lot you can do with a Plastic Bumper...

Ford Bronco Replacing Plastic Front Bumper Fog Lights IMG_0069
Tell me about the brush guard - can you post a link to the vendor? Did you have to cut off the tow hooks to install the shackle points? What lighting did you use to replace the factory fogs?

JR23

Outer Banks
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23’ Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Rough country makes a shackle conversion for the base bumper and that looks like what he might be running. It replaces the entire hook/intercooler mount. I’ve actually been trying to sell a set since I moved to a mod bumper.

Sponsored

JC2DR

Base
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base 2dr 2.3 7speed
Your Bronco Model
Base
Tell me about the brush guard - can you post a link to the vendor? Did you have to cut off the tow hooks to install the shackle points? What lighting did you use to replace the factory fogs?
I will detail how I did this. I’ve been a bit busy but I will. I am not using the rough county shackle mount though.

JC2DR

Base
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base 2dr 2.3 7speed
Your Bronco Model
Base

Ok. So here’s what I did. I wanted to see what I could do with the “plastic” bumper.

I knew that the plastic bumper mounted to the frame just like any bumper but there were a couple of obstacles.

My Bronco was a base. It didn’t come with fog lights or even Aux switches, So I had to improvise.

This is the winch plate with bull bar that I purchased. Got it on eBay and not too expensive.

It’s made for the capable or modular bumper, so you have to do a bit of cutting…

Ford Bronco Replacing Plastic Front Bumper Fog Lights 1699668050322

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1554580660...C8cjncLRvq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Ford Bronco Replacing Plastic Front Bumper Fog Lights IMG_8872

When you pull off the bumper cap, you are facing this:

Ford Bronco Replacing Plastic Front Bumper Fog Lights 1699668050351

There’s the 3 bolts that secure the bumper to the frame, but to be able to access the bolts to mount the winch plate, you need to cut away that thick piece of plastic between the 2 bolts and the single bolt. If you cut at the yellow lines that piece of plastic will just come right off.

(I used an oscillating saw from Harbor Freight. About $30 not including the blade) Be careful though, wear eye protection. Oscillating saws tend to melt more than cut and that spitting molten plastic is not as pleasant on the skin as you might think.

Ford Bronco Replacing Plastic Front Bumper Fog Lights 1699668050379

You’ll also find the hole for the fogs. If you use round fogs they might fit. I went with square:

Amazon.com: OFFROADTOWN Flush Mount LED Pods, 2pcs 5'' 78W Driving Lights Work Light Bar Super Bright Fog Off Road Lights for Truck UTV ATV SUV Boat 4x4 Car : Automotive

If you use these or anything like them, you’ll need to cut the round hole square. Once that’s all done though, you should be able to attache the mounting brackets cleanly.

That’s pretty much it. You know have a capable bumper. Once the brackets are secured, the plate and the bull bar goes on pretty quickly.

I wired the fogs then cut a “U” shape out of the bumper cover to accomdate the mounting brackets and I cut a square to fit the fogs. I used about 3” long 1/2” thick galvanized bolts on the ends and on the other side of the “U” cut out under the mounting brackets. They screw right into plastic so they hold and look pretty good. I don’t have any sensors there.

I also added the round amber fogs a bit later, but they may need to be relocated to make room for the winch.
Ford Bronco Replacing Plastic Front Bumper Fog Lights IMG_6350

bniknar

Big Bend
First Name
Bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An old EcoDriver
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ok. So here’s what I did. I wanted to see what I could do with the “plastic” bumper.

I knew that the plastic bumper mounted to the frame just like any bumper but there were a couple of obstacles.

My Bronco was a base. It didn’t come with fog lights or even Aux switches, So I had to improvise.

This is the winch plate with bull bar that I purchased. Got it on eBay and not too expensive.

It’s made for the capable or modular bumper, so you have to do a bit of cutting…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1554580660...C8cjncLRvq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

When you pull off the bumper cap, you are facing this:

There’s the 3 bolts that secure the bumper to the frame, but to be able to access the bolts to mount the winch plate, you need to cut away that thick piece of plastic between the 2 bolts and the single bolt. If you cut at the yellow lines that piece of plastic will just come right off.

(I used an oscillating saw from Harbor Freight. About $30 not including the blade) Be careful though, wear eye protection. Oscillating saws tend to melt more than cut and that spitting molten plastic is not as pleasant on the skin as you might think.

You’ll also find the hole for the fogs. If you use round fogs they might fit. I went with square:

Amazon.com: OFFROADTOWN Flush Mount LED Pods, 2pcs 5'' 78W Driving Lights Work Light Bar Super Bright Fog Off Road Lights for Truck UTV ATV SUV Boat 4x4 Car : Automotive

If you use these or anything like them, you’ll need to cut the round hole square. Once that’s all done though, you should be able to attache the mounting brackets cleanly.

That’s pretty much it. You know have a capable bumper. Once the brackets are secured, the plate and the bull bar goes on pretty quickly.

I wired the fogs then cut a “U” shape out of the bumper cover to accomdate the mounting brackets and I cut a square to fit the fogs. I used about 3” long 1/2” thick galvanized bolts on the ends and on the other side of the “U” cut out under the mounting brackets. They screw right into plastic so they hold and look pretty good. I don’t have any sensors there.

I also added the round amber fogs a bit later, but they may need to be relocated to make room for the winch.
Thanks, this looks good! Can you post a pic looking downwards where the plate is connected into the bumper brackets?

Thanks again!

Sponsored

HeHateMe

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That looks similar to how I mounted this one... And yeah, a bit of cutting required on those plastic covers.

Ford Bronco Replacing Plastic Front Bumper Fog Lights IMG_20231106_213144_040

Bronco_MI

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco, 2016 Ram, 1991 Sierra, 1969 Firebird
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You shouldn't need an extension harness. It is pretty long. I had the harness on my big bend and replaced my plastic bumper with a BAMF and used the harness for my SAE Squadrons. 4x4truckleds.com can build you any harness or connectors you would need.

Ford Bronco Replacing Plastic Front Bumper Fog Lights IMG_20231106_213144_040
Were you able to connect all three of those bumper lights to the stock wiring? Or just one set of lights?

HeHateMe

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey they looks super impressive!
What about your parking sensors and radar? Do they still work?
Went with a parking sensor relocation kit on JEGS that mounted perfectly... Just needed to extend the wiring on my own.

And I don't have the ACC, just the high package, but all working.
Sponsored