First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Cobra,Ranger,fj62. waiting on Bronco n Raptor R
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Finally received my Trailrax half rack for my Braptor. Wish I would of had this done last week for my little road trip I did up the California coast. But plenty of trips coming up
Ford Bronco Roof rack installed on Bronco Raptor EE196114-F779-476C-9043-52317578EEA8

5B62B08D-8035-43B8-882A-35B4DCDC06B9.jpeg

1FB8F66C-D335-4454-9538-8E67D024BC89.jpeg
Sponsored

BroncoTrail

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks clean! What else are you planning on attaching to the rack?

doyouglas

Black Diamond
First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What reason you get the half rack instead of the full rack?

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I did the Hooke Road half rack
Ford Bronco Roof rack installed on Bronco Raptor IMG_3780
Ford Bronco Roof rack installed on Bronco Raptor IMG_3779

Johnny Rebel

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Big Bend, 2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Finally received my Trailrax half rack for my Braptor. Wish I would of had this done last week for my little road trip I did up the California coast. But plenty of trips coming up

I saw this build in person and it's awesome! After seeing the rack setup, I ordered the same one for mine. May be a few months before I can install it, though....

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

How do you like the Hooke Road half rack, is it a solid product? Was looking at that one as well
Sure -The way they pack it - there is not enough surrounding padding especially on the ends - makes it easy for the corners to poke through the box in shipping. This is what happened on mine, and fortunately only one small washer went missing. The was also some paint scuffed of the edge of the two frames that poked through the box - easily touched up with spray paint.

Overall the construction is really nice. Assembly was really easy. It helps to have two people to put it on top, and I put towels on the top for that process and then pulled them out to seat the rack.

I haven’t used it to haul yet. It makes no noticeable noise, even with the panels off the MIC. To remove the mid roof panel you have to release all the dogs holding the roof on, and then lift the panel enough to close the clamp on either side and then slide the panel forward about six inches to get it out from under the rack. Really no problem at all.

I will say I had the cage type rack on my Jeep and it was very utilitarian, but also noisy and cumbersome as far as removing roof panels. So the rack spent most of the time on my garage ceiling. Putting it on and taking it off was a production for say a plywood run or a weekend trip to the beach. Doing so put the most scratches on my JKUR.

As such I was looking for a half rack I could leave on full time that doesn’t make noise, and I could get the room panels off easily. It is steel, not aluminum, thus a little heavier. It also is not expandable to the full length rack at a later time. The side plates for the full and the half are different (unlike some other designs).

If your use case includes full length expandability for a future roof top tent, I would look for an aluminum variant that allows running half rack then bolting on the full rack when needed (aluminum keeping the rack weight down to be able to carry a heavier tent and also to make removing the rack easier).

If your use case is to carry a tent and some gear, maybe traction boards, a high lift jack, shovel, ax etc. and still take the roof panels off, then this one is a nicely built and looking affordable option.

Ford Bronco Roof rack installed on Bronco Raptor IMAG0149

Ford Bronco Roof rack installed on Bronco Raptor DSC_8015

Last edited:

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did the Hooke Road half rack
I did the same rack on my BL. Did you have issue with noise? On mine the front cross piece had a major vibration when you shut the doors like a spring twang. Once I got it on the road the wind noise and buffeting was unbearable, ended up having to remove that front piece...very quiet now.

Sponsored

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Love this set up! Glad it works for you! If you have any questions or need help building the rack out further, do not hesitate to reach out. We are happy to help! see you on the trails brother!

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I did the same rack on my BL. Did you have issue with noise? On mine the front cross piece had a major vibration when you shut the doors like a spring twang. Once I got it on the road the wind noise and buffeting was unbearable, ended up having to remove that front piece...very quiet now.
Interesting - I didn’t have the twang tension issue in the front, and I haven’t noticed appreciative noise top on or off. I have to go pick my son up from school on Friday so I’ll try to pay attention to it at 70 mph.

Did you leave all the hardware loose until bolting up to the top? I didn’t tighten anything down until it was up there.

Ford Bronco Roof rack installed on Bronco Raptor IMG_3859

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting - I didn’t have the twang tension issue in the front, and I haven’t noticed appreciative noise top on or off. I have to go pick my son up from school on Friday so I’ll try to pay attention to it at 70 mph.

Did you leave all the hardware loose until bolting up to the top? I didn’t tighten anything down until it was up there.

Ford Bronco Roof rack installed on Bronco Raptor IMG_3859
Yep, fully assembled loose then tightened everything once on the truck. The thing vibrates like a guitar string for several seconds when you close the doors. The wind noise was just stupid. Looking at trying to fab a bracket or two to attach between the front piece and the first cross support.
Sponsored