First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco FE , 18 Expedition Max Ltd
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I may have missed it but I did't see anyone else post with this issue. Was driving last weekend on the highway and on the dash a warning came up "Steering Assist Fault Service Required" pic attached.

I was needless to say surprised as my FE had 630 miles and the steering was fine that day, so far. So I got to where I was going and the steering was tight, parking was difficult but not impossible. I did my errand, came back out and the warning light came right back on. Started to back out of the spot and could not turn the wheel, even while rolling back. Turned truck off, opened door. Locked, unlocked, opened door and started again , same thing. Called Ford, they said it didn't sound safe to drive and to call roadside assistance to get it flat bedded into service, but they won't be able to look at it for a week.

I muscled it back home to assess the situation, it did not get better but at least I was only 3-4 miles, mostly highway from home.

I had roadside pick it up Wednesday and so far haven't heard anything back, but I wasn't really expecting to, they are short staffed due to COVID and they know I have another vehicle to use, so it's all good to take some time.

One thought I had was that this was the first time that I drove the Bronco in sub freezing temps, it was around 9 degrees F that day. However when the flatbed driver drove it onto the truck Wednesday it was above freezing ~36 F and he had to manhandle the steering wheel to get it lined up, and he was a big dude. So I'm not convinced that the temperature was the only issue at play.

I guess I just wanted to see if anyone else has heard of any issues like this or not.

PXL_20220115_173243569.jpg
Sponsored

MikeyFrog

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Below zero multiple times in Iowa without a steering issue. Sounds like a major failure of the power steering. Keep us updated

babraunagel

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I may have missed it but I did't see anyone else post with this issue. Was driving last weekend on the highway and on the dash a warning came up "Steering Assist Fault Service Required" pic attached.

I was needless to say surprised as my FE had 630 miles and the steering was fine that day, so far. So I got to where I was going and the steering was tight, parking was difficult but not impossible. I did my errand, came back out and the warning light came right back on. Started to back out of the spot and could not turn the wheel, even while rolling back. Turned truck off, opened door. Locked, unlocked, opened door and started again , same thing. Called Ford, they said it didn't sound safe to drive and to call roadside assistance to get it flat bedded into service, but they won't be able to look at it for a week.

I muscled it back home to assess the situation, it did not get better but at least I was only 3-4 miles, mostly highway from home.

I had roadside pick it up Wednesday and so far haven't heard anything back, but I wasn't really expecting to, they are short staffed due to COVID and they know I have another vehicle to use, so it's all good to take some time.

One thought I had was that this was the first time that I drove the Bronco in sub freezing temps, it was around 9 degrees F that day. However when the flatbed driver drove it onto the truck Wednesday it was above freezing ~36 F and he had to manhandle the steering wheel to get it lined up, and he was a big dude. So I'm not convinced that the temperature was the only issue at play.

I guess I just wanted to see if anyone else has heard of any issues like this or not.

Ford Bronco Steering Assist Fault PXL_20220115_173243569
Subfreezing temps should have no impact on electric power steering.

OP
OP
md540i

md540i

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I would imagine that the temp shouldn't be an issue, it wasn't that extreme.

Yes I will update this post as I get info from the dealership. Thanks.

OP
OP
md540i

md540i

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ok folks, dealer drove it around for 5 days and couldn't replicate the issue. They contacted Ford premium support, or whatever it's called, they told them to check all of the connectors and pins to the associated sensors, etc and look over the wire harness. Nothing unusual found.

Without any sensors reading out of spec and the tech never experiencing the issue, they couldn't do anything and gave it back to me as is.

Frustrated is an understatement.

Sponsored

akoostik

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Had this happen a few times but it cleared by the time I got it to the dealer (they couldn't find anything wrong via the computer). I happen to be a block from the dealer and it happened again so I b-lined right to service. They connected it up and determined that there was a bad steering module and the steering gear needed to be replaced. The problem is that is it is still sitting there awaiting the parts that have no ship date available. They excalated to a COPUS situation (Fords code red?) but TBD if this really fixes it.

OP
OP
md540i

md540i

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Wow, that really sucks, sorry to hear that.

I have luckily not had any further issues with the steering, what was the weather like when it happened to you? Just curious because it was like 5 Fahrenheit when it happened to me.

Please let me know how it all goes, I would love to know if this is something that I should push with my dealer.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Ford Bronco Steering Assist Fault PXL_20220115_173243569
Hi there! Can you send us a private message with your VIN and Ford dealership name? I’ll look into this on my end. Thank you!

armo5@22

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi there! Can you send us a private message with your VIN and Ford dealership name? I’ll look into this on my end. Thank you!
I just returned home from my dealer after checking on the health of my 2022 Badlands 7 speed manual with the same fault code. My dealer said EPS module needs to be replaced. They said no ETA on part availability and will let me know once availability is known. I've had the failure intermittently since day one 4/16/22. Fault only seemed to happen in reverse, but dealer said it happen to technician today when test driving in gears other than reverse.

I wanted to take it home, but Service Manger said I couldn't....??

I was very happy until today...hopefully positive news on parts soon. I still making payments, and no use of vehicle.

eps fault.jpeg

JohnnyBoots

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XJ, BMW Z4, Mini Clubman JCW
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've gotten this same fault since we took delivery, sometimes it happens multiple times a day, usually only when the steering is turned to full lock. It feels like its only a warning and nothing is physically wrong, no noise and no lack of performance.

I'd love to get it cleared but definitely dont want the bronco to be sitting at a dealer until forever waiting on a small part.

Sponsored

armo5@22

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
At first, they said the power steering rack had to be replaced and they were not sure about lead-time on part. Luckily, they found one but then had trouble locating the required single use bolts required to install. When they received all the parts and went to do the install, they found out it was not the rack but a faulty wiring harness to the power steering rack. All is well now. Total time at the dealer, 8 days

OP
OP
md540i

md540i

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Thanks for the update, glad they got it worked out for you fairly quickly.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I've gotten this same fault since we took delivery, sometimes it happens multiple times a day, usually only when the steering is turned to full lock. It feels like its only a warning and nothing is physically wrong, no noise and no lack of performance.

I'd love to get it cleared but definitely dont want the bronco to be sitting at a dealer until forever waiting on a small part.
Hi there. This steering concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Bronco. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

Cent Or Wildtrak

Wildtrak
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-250 Superduty
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I had the same thing happen to me on my Wildtrak. Started in June 23 and finally had a hard time steering it. Went to dealership and waited 2 months to get it back. They replaced the power steering rack. The fault came up again one other time since it has been replaced and I cleared it. If it happens again it's going back. I really am frustrated to have to pay for something and can't use it so really reluctant to take it back in. We will see what happens.
Sponsored