Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 BMW M2, '18 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Per a study by Washington State Department of Transportation, studded tires offer only a marginal increase in traction, and only in very limited circumstances. "Winter" studdless tires offer better traction in snowy conditions, more often than studded tires.

T'were me, I'd wear out the A/T tires or buy a second set of severe snow service (snowflake in the mountain)/dedicated winter tires. You'll almost certainly be safer than running studded tires.

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/research/reports/fullreports/551.1.pdf

Tires have only gotten better since this study was completed.
Plus, studless winter tires are easier on the road surfaces than studs.
Sponsored

nd2002

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 BMW M2, '18 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Speaking from a PacNW POV (Seattle area)...

I have never heard having two sets tires for summer and winter. Is that a common thing every household does?
It should be out here. There are a lot of hills around, and while it rarely snows a lot, from personal experience, winter tire compounds really help when the temps dip below 40-45F, which IS very common. Also common out here for folks to think AWD/4WD = unstoppable, and doesn't usually end well :) And like someone stated, it's not just for snow/ice, but primarily to ensure that the rubber stays soft and you have traction.

Winter tire tech has come a LONG way. I have Pilot Alpin 4 on my car, and it's surprisingly close to summer tires in terms of road feel and performance.

dwbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is an Interesting conversation. I'm a south Texas boy, I like the heat. I have never heard having two sets tires for summer and winter. Is that a common thing every household does?
It's common enough, but not every household common. I have a set of snow tires I swap to at the beginning of each winter. They aren't really that expensive, and you end up buying tires half as often, so it really isn't an added cost.
Sponsored

Last edited: