TailChaser

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco OB Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You can’t see this till direct sun is on it. Boy was I not real happy after I drove it home and woke up the next morning with the sun up and looked out the window down at it.

anyone else had this? It’s all over the fenders and things too, the hood is just so noticeable. Hopefully some wax or something will cover it up. Looked at my other vehicles 2 and 5 years old and nothing. Wonder what caused it? Bad clearcoat mixture/conditions when spraying?

When I first saw it from about 10’ above it appears as straight lines across hood. It looks different from different angles. Now that I say that, I wonder if the light is somehow bouncing back upward somehow, and it’s not even on the surface. Common thing?

Ford Bronco Swirl marks in clearcoat from factory? IMG_1353

Ford Bronco Swirl marks in clearcoat from factory? IMG_1339
Sponsored

Last edited:

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Likely happened in transit, or the dealer did it when they completed their pre-delivery inspection & wash.

Mass-produced vehicles really aren’t protected during transit and most of them show up to the dealership lots filthy. The rail yards and holding lots where vehicles get unloaded are often compacted dirt/gravel lots. The rail cars themselves are covered but not sealed. The car carriers are obviously not sealed. Just happens.

This is why ceramic coating brand new vehicles tends to cost so much (if the company does it right). They have to first do paint correction before they can apply the coating.

DeanHurley

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks like poor dealer prep to me. If you have a DA polisher, some Rupes yellow foam pads and some time a simple one step correction should do the trick. Or get it detailed and ceramic coated.

swmetal

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C8 vette
Your Bronco Model
Base
Usually this is from the dealer washing it. When I ordered my Corvette last year, I told the dealership to not wash it during PDI for that reason. When I got my Bronco I let them wash it, I wasn't really worried about it as its my "utility" vehicle.

OP
OP

TailChaser

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco OB Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Looks like poor dealer prep to me. If you have a DA polisher, some Rupes yellow foam pads and some time a simple one step correction should do the trick. Or get it detailed and ceramic coated.
Thanks, kinda what I was thinking, just can’t imagine how. I’ll see who does the ceramic stuff, if it’s something that lasts years and they can buff that mess out.

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks, kinda what I was thinking, just can’t imagine how. I’ll see who does the ceramic stuff, if it’s something that lasts years and they can buff that mess out.
Just had mine done this week - You can see my thread here on it: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/xpel-ceramic-coating-xpel-ultimate-plus-ppf.86132/

I've had my Bronco 2 years, and although white is very forgiving for swirls and stuff, they did a paint correction first to get it "perfect," including getting the chemical and road grime out of the paint. There was also iron contaminants from it being shipped via train. 100% would recommend - If you get good, quality product, it comes with a good warranty too.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Those are dealership installed swirl marks. Really bugs me that a lot of dealerships seem to think that brand new vehicles need to be buffed. The funny thing is that the biggest reason to buff out vehicle is to correct bad prior buff jobs.

This is also why I will not buy a vehicle that has been washed by a dealership, nowadays I order what I want anyway, I’m just tell them minimal PDI. I told them to leave all the protective wrapping in place so I can unwrap it at home like a big Christmas present. Drove my black STI home in 2017 with a ton of white protective film on the outside. Lol.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My money's on dealer prep. Even more so if you dealer has their own tunnel wash - that pattern has all the hallmarks of an automated finish finisher (a drive through car "wash"). Buffer and a light polish can take all of that out easy enough.

OP
OP

TailChaser

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco OB Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My money's on dealer prep. Even more so if you dealer has their own tunnel wash - that pattern has all the hallmarks of an automated finish finisher (a drive through car "wash"). Buffer and a light polish can take all of that out easy enough.
dealer prep was, we asked to rinse it off quick since had some dirt, nothing much. The “detail” guy was gone and so salesman went and did something for a half hour. Removing inspection marks etc. I don’t think it was ever buffed but prolly whatever car wash they used. Glad to know it’ll buff out easy. Guess I’ll just have to drop more money after buying $70k vehicle lol.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
dealer prep was, we asked to rinse it off quick since had some dirt, nothing much. The “detail” guy was gone and so salesman went and did something for a half hour. Removing inspection marks etc. I don’t think it was ever buffed but prolly whatever car wash they used. Glad to know it’ll buff out easy. Guess I’ll just have to drop more money after buying $70k vehicle lol.
Yeah, it definitely sucks, I just wanted to point out it's far from fatal. If you don't do this stuff yourself (and I'm guessing you don't, which is fine as most folks don't either) shop around a few detail shops and get some quotes for basic correction, mentioning that it's seen some minor damage due to bad dealer prep. *Some* shops might try to upsell you on major paint correction and prep for an expensive coating. I'd suggest sticking to the basics and saying you just want the damage corrected while you consider your longer term options and if you like the results they'll definitely be on your short list.

Hit up your dealer and show them the damage and the quotes and ask for them to help make you whole, even if it's meeting you part way (and if there really IS somebody that was supposed to do this vs your salesguy I can't imagine that's the kind of work they'd be happy with). Worse they can do is say no but it won't hurt to ask.

Edited to add - you now also have first hand doc on why you NEVER EVER take a car you care about through a tunnel wash. Touchless only.

Sponsored
OP
OP

TailChaser

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco OB Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah, it definitely sucks, I just wanted to point out it's far from fatal. If you don't do this stuff yourself (and I'm guessing you don't, which is fine as most folks don't either) shop around a few detail shops and get some quotes for basic correction, mentioning that it's seen some minor damage due to bad dealer prep. *Some* shops might try to upsell you on major paint correction and prep for an expensive coating. I'd suggest sticking to the basics and saying you just want the damage corrected while you consider your longer term options and if you like the results they'll definitely be on your short list.

Hit up your dealer and show them the damage and the quotes and ask for them to help make you whole, even if it's meeting you part way (and if there really IS somebody that was supposed to do this vs your salesguy I can't imagine that's the kind of work they'd be happy with). Worse they can do is say no but it won't hurt to ask.

Edited to add - you now also have first hand doc on why you NEVER EVER take a car you care about through a tunnel wash. Touchless only.
i “can” do it, have painted cars, rebuilt engines etc but never buffed one I don’t guess. Could figure it out. I just have no time, I run a good sized business that pays 100x more than buffing, and it’s busy season and I wear 20 other hats. by the time I have to find a guy, drive it up 45 min away, drop off, drive back, then again to pick up etc, that takes time too, that bothers me way more than the cost. Eh well, thanks for the wash salesman.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How did a '23 OBX come to $70K? There is a finite amount of options that can be added to a factory order. I'm not sure if you checked every box and added every accessory that it comes to $70K.

OP
OP

TailChaser

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco OB Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How did a '23 OBX come to $70K? There is a finite amount of options that can be added to a factory order. I'm not sure if you checked every box and added every accessory that it comes to $70K.
was 65 plus taxes. Lux, squatch, hard top. Didn’t have tow or roof rails or a couple things I imagine can be higher. I dunno what they offer, wanted tax write off fast with unexpected year end sales and it had arrived recently and met heavy vehicle specs with 2.7. And wanted one. Land company/development/showings/sales

besides skid plates I didn’t really see any diff in other models, and I can add those if I get in the sticks. Have my super duty for the rough stuff. It’s white, and I run through brush on the regular, wash it once a year lol. Good looking truck too, is just no point. Can’t use it if worried about keeping clean or scratches, white doesn’t show them.

Last edited:

DBX2

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco; '23 F150 reg cab 5.0, custom interior
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Those are dealership installed swirl marks. Really bugs me that a lot of dealerships seem to think that brand new vehicles need to be buffed. The funny thing is that the biggest reason to buff out vehicle is to correct bad prior buff jobs.

This is also why I will not buy a vehicle that has been washed by a dealership, nowadays I order what I want anyway, I’m just tell them minimal PDI. I told them to leave all the protective wrapping in place so I can unwrap it at home like a big Christmas present. Drove my black STI home in 2017 with a ton of white protective film on the outside. Lol.
Agreed. We do the same; just PDI and leave all wrappings,stickers on.
Can’t chance a $10/hr kid washing a new or any vehicle!
Our Bronco paint and finish was surprisingly near perfect…except for the hairs under the clear right in the center of the hood🤦‍♀️

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I work in an Automotive paint shop... i am not in person, but I'm not jumping on the dealership band wagon. There can be a ton of rework at the factory and things get missed, especially on a vehicle so far behind production schedule... or on a F#@& it Friday... then there is Sell it Saturday....
Sponsored