Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The last couple days the Bronco seems to loose my iphone and I can't figure out what's going on. I was always using blutooth and when I watch my phone settings it connects to the Bronco for a sescond, then drops it again. It also connects to some wifi called PROJ93xxxx, I have no idea what that is.

Is this how car play works? First connect via bluetooth and then switch over to some wifi?

When I try to access my phone either everything is there or nothing, and it asks me to connect a phone, I tap on mine and then it seems to connect fine and I can access spotify and waze etc.

I just thought it would always be via bluetooth? Can't find a good manual or website either, but also not sure what to ask. If you have an idea or link, I'd appreciate it!

I noticed this over the last couple of days, I usually don't use my phone much in the car, but a text I got didn't show up on the screen since the phone didn't connect.

I would rather not have to use a wire again, then I'd probably just not use car play at all, but I'd sure prefer it to work since I paid for it 🙃

Maybe some OTA update made some changes?

Iphone 12 with the latest system. Badsquatch with LUX.
Sponsored

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Initial handshake for wireless CarPlay is over BT then the connection transfers over to wifi. It does this because the video projection of CarPlay requires more bandwidth than BT is capable of handling.

The way I understand it, you can choose either wireless CarPlay connection or BT connection but not both at the same time. My salesman showed me the CP disable process if I want to switch over and connect the phone in standard BT mode and vise versa when I want to enable CarPlay. Its a toggle in the menu settings in Sync. I'm away from my vehicle and cant offer much more detailed info on where in the menu. I tend to just use CarPlay for everything. Calls, music, maps (even Waze), all of that can be done through CarPlay.

I have noticed, you cannot connect/use the vehicle hotspot if you are using wireless CarPlay either.

Edit: to summarize,
If you don't want to use CarPlay, on iPhone choose settings, general, CarPlay. Then choose SYNC4 and either turn off the toggle or choose "Forget this car"

Then connect to BT and away you go. If after you go through this process and you plug in to charge your phone, you will be asked to enable CarPlay, choose no.

Last edited:

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Initial handshake for wireless CarPlay is over BT then the connection transfers over to wifi. It does this because the video projection of CarPlay requires more bandwidth than BT is capable of handling.

The way I understand it, you can choose either wireless CarPlay connection or BT connection but not both at the same time. My salesman showed me the CP disable process if I want to switch over and connect the phone in standard BT mode and vise versa when I want to enable CarPlay. Its a toggle in the menu settings in Sync. I'm away from my vehicle and cant offer much more detailed info on where in the menu. I tend to just use CarPlay for everything. Calls, music, maps (even Waze), all of that can be done through CarPlay.

I have noticed, you cannot connect/use the vehicle hotspot if you are using wireless CarPlay either.

If you don't want to use CarPlay, on iPhone choose settings, general, CarPlay. Then choose SYNC4 and either turn off the toggle or choose "Forget this car"

Then connect to BT and away you go. If after you go through this process and you plug in to charge your phone, you will be asked to enable CarPlay, choose no.
All of this is correct! However from a troubleshooting perspective I had this happen with the same phone after a recent OS update. I ended up disconnecting CarPlay on the Bronco side, then rebooting the phone, then letting it reconnect and enabling CarPlay and it's been fine since.

OP
OP
Daktari

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

oh, great, that helps me already, I didn't know it goes through wifi and found that odd, but figured that might be what it does. I did look at those settings but they didn't really explain well what/how it's supposed to work, I think I get it now. I'll experiment some more.

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What options does CarPlay allow that the Bluetooth doesn’t?

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What options does CarPlay allow that the Bluetooth doesn’t?
Visual UI on the screen of the infotainment including maps for navigation. Music apps from your iPhone can be used directly like Spotify, pandora, Messages, calendar. It’s just a more rich experience over basic Bluetooth.
With BT you’re going to get audio and call streaming maybe texts (not sure).

I guess I haven’t used basic BT in a while maybe it’s better than it used to be?
Sponsored