Sponsored

Tow Loop Covers -- anybody have anything like this installed?

• Thread starter Deleted member 49144
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0

Mojo31

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
They were originally developed for shackles to keep them from chipping powder coat as the shackles bounced around and to silence the shackles banging on the bumper when driving. They don't really serve any purpose otherwise.

OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

I was mainly referring to protection from hooks, if you would ever need pulled out. I can imagine a hook would eat that up pretty quick, and rust would soon follow.

Mojo31

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was mainly referring to protection from hooks, if you would ever need pulled out. I can imagine a hook would eat that up pretty quick, and rust would soon follow.
Hooks will cut right through them. They are just rubber.

Carry a recovery strap.

OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

Hooks will cut right through them. They are just rubber.

Carry a recovery strap.
these are actually really hard plastic. I know due to the reviews of some people having to heat them up to get them to fit on. These are definitely molded plastic.

Sponsored

Mojo31

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Go for it. Only $15.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Carry soft shackles no risk of damaging anything and marginally more expensive.

OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

Go for it. Only $15.
you think they would fit front and back? It says they are only for back but aren’t the front the same ones? Any concerns you could see with water getting trapped in there? I honestly think once they are on, there isn’t going to be water getting back behind that lol.

Mojo31

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
you think they would fit front and back? It says they are only for back but aren’t the front the same ones? Any concerns you could see with water getting trapped in there? I honestly think once they are on, there isn’t going to be water getting back behind that lol.
I have no idea if they will fit.

I can see water and salt (since you are in Florida) getting trapped between the TPE and metal.

Jeepers use them to keep the metal shackles from clanging on steel bumpers, but they don't do much else. A metal hook pulling 5,000 pounds will likely cut through or shatter them.

If you are worried about off-road recovery, there are far more important things to consider, and better products to use (soft shackles, recovery straps, synthetic winch lines without hooks, etc.).

But, if you want the aesthetic, then go for it.

Sponsored

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No, they will not fit. Just tried with my shackle ones and the tow hooks are a different diameter and radius. They will just rattle off. There's all kinds of trail dust behind my shackle units, no notice of water issues but I live in an arid climate.

These are pointless for the tow hooks even if they did fit.

OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

I have no idea if they will fit.

I can see water and salt (since you are in Florida) getting trapped between the TPE and metal.

Jeepers use them to keep the metal shackles from clanging on steel bumpers, but they don't do much else. A metal hook pulling 5,000 pounds will likely cut through or shatter them.

If you are worried about off-road recovery, there are far more important things to consider, and better products to use (soft shackles, recovery straps, synthetic winch lines without hooks, etc.).

But, if you want the aesthetic, then go for it.
agreed, thanks for the info. I’ll look into the soft 👍
Sponsored