Sponsored

Trail Hero in Sand Hollow Utah this October anyone going?

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

First week of October, you can go to the Tail Hero site for all the information. Just wondering if anyone else was going or thinking of going? I went last year for a few days and did a few trails. Im thinking of going back up again. There are all different rated trails trails, and have some of the best trail guides doing them with you.
Sponsored

BaseBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I can start my own thread if needed. Do you have recommendations from that for good trails to hit by yourself? We are going to the Sand Hollow area in mid September for the first time. Looking for some good areas to explore and test.

OP
OP
Rkgzx9leftcoast

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I can start my own thread if needed. Do you have recommendations from that for good trails to hit by yourself? We are going to the Sand Hollow area in mid September for the first time. Looking for some good areas to explore and test.
Hey, yeah no problem. If you have onXoff-road, or other trail map software you should have most of the trails on the maps already. Not sure if you have, but I Highly recommend using one of the mapping systems. I love OnX offroad.

Dixie 4 wheel drive, an off road shop in downtown St George, right next to Hurricane, has a lot of info on the trails. If you go to their web site they have down-loadable trail maps, (they can be downloaded into your map software) Bryce and his shop are a great resource. He may be going out on the trails, or may know someone who can show you around.

The trails are rated 3 to 10 the higher the number the tougher they are. There is usually people in the park at most times. If you youtube Sand Hollow jeep trails people have videos of most of the trails, will give you an idea of the difficulty. Most trails have a bypass at the harder obstacles as well. The ones 6 or 7 or above I would recommend doing with someone else that knows the lines and can spot you.

Touqerville Falls trail is also close by and follows a stream in the area.

The 3 big events are Trail Hero in October
Winter 4X4 jamboree in January
and United by Bronco started a few years ago in March or April I believe.

The Sand Dunes are huge. You will also need a flag for the dunes, a few people make mounts for the bronco. I ordered mine on line. I believe Dixie 4 wheel drive sells the flags as well. You will have to pay to get into the park each day, its not a huge fee.

Trails that are pretty popular with bypasses are
West Rim Trail Rated 4
East Rim Trail Rated 3
Milts Mile Lite Rated 4 ( it is part of Milts Mile rated 7, but only doing the easier lines for part of it) I wouldn't recommend doing the rest of milts mile by yourself or without a spotter.
Bzzackwards & Sliplock Gultch are a 5 & 6 , Popular trails

Matts off-road recovery is right down the road if you get in trouble, he has a youtube channel with lots of good videos.

If you like BBQ I recommend Lonny Boys BBQ in town.

It is an awesome place to wheel, If I was closer I would go there a lot more.

woodysfj40

Outer Banks
First Name
woody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
BJ74, FZJ80, NCV3, JHF
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm in charge of Trail Hero event recovery (ie Trail Breaker, qualifying, RockCrawl, etc), and we've been part of the core event committee since day 1. My wife runs registration, be nice to her :D

I'll have my buggy on site, the 1996 FZJ80, and my wife will have her new OBX.

BaseBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@Rkgzx9leftcoast Thank you for the response. I do use Onx and hope it gets us through the area well. I did watch a few full trail videos on you tube last night. I think there are a handful that we should be able to do in our rig. Very excited to see the area.

Sponsored

woodysfj40

Outer Banks
First Name
woody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
BJ74, FZJ80, NCV3, JHF
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hey, yeah no problem. If you have onXoff-road, or other trail map software you should have most of the trails on the maps already. Not sure if you have, but I Highly recommend using one of the mapping systems. I love OnX offroad.

Dixie 4 wheel drive, an off road shop in downtown St George, right next to Hurricane, has a lot of info on the trails. If you go to their web site they have down-loadable trail maps, (they can be downloaded into your map software) Bryce and his shop are a great resource. He may be going out on the trails, or may know someone who can show you around.

The trails are rated 3 to 10 the higher the number the tougher they are.
I use OnX as well, but it's crowdsourced, so only as good as whomever did the mapping. CartoTracks is $$, but I personally mapped many of the trails for them, so I know the routes are accurate. (The number of offshoot trails is endless.) The map Dixie has is great, but also 7ish years old and MANY new trails have been added since.

Ratings are from 3-15. 13-15 are rear steer 40-42" buggy territory (I have one), 11-12 are drag-axle buggy territory. 9-10 are "easy" buggy and some full-body. 7-8 are doable with a fullbody rig and a capable driver (I've done most with my 1996 FZJ80 on 35's...but it has dents) 7-under are tons of fun and cover lots of ground on Sand Mountain.

The 3-5 list is perfect, and a great way to get your feet wet.

NOTE: pay particularly attention to where the rear tires track. The BIGGEST mistake at SH is not remembering to keep the rears out of the cracks. I always say, drive the front to position the rear.

OP
OP
Rkgzx9leftcoast

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I use OnX as well, but it's crowdsourced, so only as good as whomever did the mapping. CartoTracks is $$, but I personally mapped many of the trails for them, so I know the routes are accurate. (The number of offshoot trails is endless.) The map Dixie has is great, but also 7ish years old and MANY new trails have been added since.

Ratings are from 3-15. 13-15 are rear steer 40-42" buggy territory (I have one), 11-12 are drag-axle buggy territory. 9-10 are "easy" buggy and some full-body. 7-8 are doable with a fullbody rig and a capable driver (I've done most with my 1996 FZJ80 on 35's...but it has dents) 7-under are tons of fun and cover lots of ground on Sand Mountain.

The 3-5 list is perfect, and a great way to get your feet wet.

NOTE: pay particularly attention to where the rear tires track. The BIGGEST mistake at SH is not remembering to keep the rears out of the cracks. I always say, drive the front to position the rear.
Awesome Info. Thanks! I was at Trail Hero last year, was an awesome event. The trail guides and spotters were incredible. I did Plan B and Double Sammy, they were a blast, but glad I had spotters to help get through for sure. Everything is bigger and steeper than in the videos. lol

Yeah , I kind of got that from Dixies map, it doesn't have a lot of the new trails on it, but is a good starting point to see where the better known trails are in the park. I have also noticed the mapping in local areas with onX can be a little off. I use it mostly to see where I am on new trails and to map my way in and out.

Not sure I can make it this year, I was looking forward to doing a few more trails....see what happens.

woodysfj40

Outer Banks
First Name
woody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
BJ74, FZJ80, NCV3, JHF
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Awesome Info. Thanks! I was at Trail Hero last year, was an awesome event.
It's crazy that this is year 8....Rich commented last night during "trail hero tuesday" that year 1 was like 3 weeks of planning with just a few of us making it up as we went along. Now it's a damn production and 9 months of planning...and the team to make it appear like it was all planned ;)

I just stay in my corner and manage the comp recoveries ;) Well, and "fireman" all the things no one thinks of :)

Make RockCrawling Music Festivals Great Again :p (ongoing joke...lol)

woodysfj40

Outer Banks
First Name
woody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
BJ74, FZJ80, NCV3, JHF
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

One week until Trail Hero :) Did a little practice on Saturday for the Trail Breaker, this is me cleaning the first stage of the 2022 LCQ course.

Sponsored