Allegedly

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar F-Pace
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So, uhh, what line of work is your wife in?
I thought it had more to do with her driving but there was some rando driving through part of Orlando a few years back shooting store windows and parked cars with a .223.
Sponsored

Dana

Outer Banks
First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've been there, done that, mine got rear ended first day on street. Learned a lot during the two months of jacking around with Insurance and body shops. Finally settled at a good figure. I'll share what happened and how to get made whole. Send me an email - [email protected].

MLRey

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 18 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was close to a Ford (dealer) collision center so I stopped there next.

Not good. Messy place with tons of parts laying around. Two people there were complaining about work that had been done months ago. They gave me a quick estimate for the rear frame replacement (we'll bend the rest back). $17k but that doesn't account for hidden damage so it will definitely be higher but "we'll work with the insurance company to find ways to lower it like using aftermarket or refurbished parts". WTH? I see who you're looking out for and it ain't me.
Wow, for an essentially new vehicle where the other party is 100% at fault you should never accept aftermarket/refurbished parts and bending stuff back into shape. You'll need to play hardball with the other insurance company for either a new vehicle or top quality repair of the current Bronco.

In addition you'll need a rental vehicle while it's being repaired or while you're waiting for a new one to be built. That cost could encourage the insurance company to pony up for what otherwise would be an unreasonable MSRP+ deal. See if you can find another Bronco that's equal to or better than your current one and get a quote from the dealer. Then when you get the repair estimate and rental cost you can offer up an alternative that they might find more reasonable.

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I feel like that Ford dealership, an "Elite" repair shop with this insurance company, legitimately works down to a lower level in return for the volume that the insurance company sends their way.
The good news is the damage is so bad itā€™s harder to do shortcuts. At a minimum, the rear frame rails need to be replaced and most of the body panels on the Bronco are aluminum so those will be replaced as well. Aluminum doesnā€™t have a ā€œmemoryā€ like steel so itā€™s much more trickier to repair once bent or dented so often a shop will just replace the panels with new ones. Typically the only tech(s) in the shop that want to tackle the large repairs are the experienced ones that take pride in their craft so that is in your favor as well.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Buy it back,
Coyote motor with a solid axle swap and hit the trails!
Do what he said
Buy it back and in maybe 3 years you will put a coyote motor in it. Since the bronco has been out TWO and not a single coyote motor has been done

Sponsored

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow, for an essentially new vehicle where the other party is 100% at fault you should never accept aftermarket/refurbished parts and bending stuff back into shape. You'll need to play hardball with the other insurance company for either a new vehicle or top quality repair of the current Bronco.

In addition you'll need a rental vehicle while it's being repaired or while you're waiting for a new one to be built. That cost could encourage the insurance company to pony up for what otherwise would be an unreasonable MSRP+ deal. See if you can find another Bronco that's equal to or better than your current one and get a quote from the dealer. Then when you get the repair estimate and rental cost you can offer up an alternative that they might find more reasonable.
šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok commandos of keysā€¦.
1) whatā€™s minimum insurance is required in Florida ?
Google says 10,000 pd, 10,000 bi
Even with a injury claim, (real or imagined) that wonā€™t fix the bronco
Pd wonā€™t fix the bronco
Most states wonā€™t let you sue yourself for diminished value
2) using your own insurance means you are contractually bound to your Dec page. Whatā€™s that mean? Rental car limits of some sort, recycled, used, refurbished and/or aftermarket parts depending on what YOU SIGNED
3) Iā€™m aware of the car that hit them, still see number one.
4) frames get replaced here, some states itā€™s not legal. But ALL body shops should tear down till there is no damage. Thatā€™s repair 101
5) how did people crash before cell phones? I predate cell phones and driving and Iā€™ve actually investigated fatalities criminally and civilly and reconstructed them myself. People drive like shit, light cigarettes, look at the radio, kids, fall asleep, drink, drink alcohol and eat, they read books, day dream and fall asleep. Turn an inward facing camera on yourself and look at the distracted things you do.

OP
OP

Allegedly

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar F-Pace
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ok commandos of keysā€¦.
1) whatā€™s minimum insurance is required in Florida ?
Google says 10,000 pd, 10,000 bi
Even with a injury claim, (real or imagined) that wonā€™t fix the bronco
Pd wonā€™t fix the bronco
Most states wonā€™t let you sue yourself for diminished value
Not everyone has the minimum though. I carry $500k + an umbrella for $1m. The at-fault driver who hit my son has $250k. We're good here.

For diminished value, the at-fault driver's company is required to pay. There are companies that, for about $250, provide a professional appraisal of the lost value based on current market conditions. Ideally the insurance company agrees to the amount or are attorneys who do this.

2) using your own insurance means you are contractually bound to your Dec page. Whatā€™s that mean? Rental car limits of some sort, recycled, used, refurbished and/or aftermarket parts depending on what YOU SIGNED.
In Florida, the at-fault driver's insurance is required to pay. There are still some limits but, I have the right to pick any repair shop I want and they must pay for a rental for the entire duration of the repair. They are also required to pay diminished value and non-oem parts can factor into a loss of value appraisal.

4) frames get replaced here, some states itā€™s not legal. But ALL body shops should tear down till there is no damage. Thatā€™s repair 101
Correct but most shops toss out an estimate and then add to it after they start the repair. This shop does a complete estimate the first time by stripping the car down. You could debate the merits or problems with this method all day but I've used this shop twice and they are extremely detail oriented.

I do not, by any means, think this is going to just be easy but I do know what I'm legally entitled to in the situation and I'm not going to roll over and accept less.

Giddyup Buttercup

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
OP
OP

Allegedly

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar F-Pace
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
They all are.
WhereTF is Mothers Against Texting?!?
Found one. She was behind me yesterday for about 4 miles and never put her phone down once. Say what you want about self driving cars. They can't come fast enough.

Ford Bronco Update: Totaled. Rear Ended Hard. Frame Bent Photos PXL_20221208_131752649

Sponsored

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not everyone has the minimum though. I carry $500k + an umbrella for $1m. The at-fault driver who hit my son has $250k. We're good here.

For diminished value, the at-fault driver's company is required to pay. There are companies that, for about $250, provide a professional appraisal of the lost value based on current market conditions. Ideally the insurance company agrees to the amount or are attorneys who do this.

In Florida, the at-fault driver's insurance is required to pay. There are still some limits but, I have the right to pick any repair shop I want and they must pay for a rental for the entire duration of the repair. They are also required to pay diminished value and non-oem parts can factor into a loss of value appraisal.

Correct but most shops toss out an estimate and then add to it after they start the repair. This shop does a complete estimate the first time by stripping the car down. You could debate the merits or problems with this method all day but I've used this shop twice and they are extremely detail oriented.

I do not, by any means, think this is going to just be easy but I do know what I'm legally entitled to in the situation and I'm not going to roll over and accept less.
Well I ā€˜toss out an estimateā€™ based on observable damage, as do most shops, adjusters etc. no point in tearing down a loss that exceeded state mandated total threshold just to do it.
I mean if you hit 75% in Louisiana and that is total threshold by law, why tear it down at all?

Just Ice

Wildtrak
First Name
Jessica Justice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco / 2005 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Found one. She was behind me yesterday for about 4 miles and never put her phone down once. Say what you want about self driving cars. They can't come fast enough.

Ford Bronco Update: Totaled. Rear Ended Hard. Frame Bent Photos PXL_20221208_131752649
What I donā€™t understand is why the Mercedes didnā€™t stop itself. Was it an older car? Mercedes is supposed to be a leader in safety technology and automatic emergency braking has been standard on all of their cars for at least the last few years.

OP
OP

Allegedly

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar F-Pace
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well I ā€˜toss out an estimateā€™ based on observable damage, as do most shops, adjusters etc. no point in tearing down a loss that exceeded state mandated total threshold just to do it.
I mean if you hit 75% in Louisiana and that is total threshold by law, why tear it down at all?
Market value of this truck here is now $69k. We're not expecting $52k in repair and diminished.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Market value of this truck here is now $69k. We're not expecting $52k in repair and diminished.
I understand
Iā€™m trying to quell some of the wishful people who ā€˜thinkā€™ they know how it works.

if I walk out and cut your frame into pieces so it canā€™t be welded together and a frame costs 10000 (it doesnā€™t) I could still swap it at 35 hours at $500 an HOUR (no shop working on fords gets that) and still not total it.
Not that anyone here understands half of the ā€˜factsā€™ that f what they post

OP
OP

Allegedly

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar F-Pace
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What I donā€™t understand is why the Mercedes didnā€™t stop itself. Was it an older car? Mercedes is supposed to be a leader in safety technology and automatic emergency braking has been standard on all of their cars for at least the last few years.
Actually a really good question. Was a 2017 GLE350. It appears "brake assist" was standard which requires driver input and then applies additional braking based on speed and distance to the forward vehicle or object.

This implies that the driver did not brake at all or he was moving so fast before he braked that the system could not stop the vehicle in time.

There were 2 other optional levels of collision avoidance that year which were autonomous (no driver input required) and we wouldn't be here talking about this.
Sponsored

Last edited: