First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 BMW M coupe, 2023 Ford Bronco Badlands 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I ordered a Badlands 2Dr which was perfectly setup with all the content I wanted in a Bronco. My one complaint about it is the grille, which i dislike probably the most of all the OEM grilles. It’s pretty flat, the staggered grille patten is not classic, and it is painted in a semi-gloss gray paint that doesn’t match anything else on the Bronco. The Base/Black Diamond grille I think is the best one which has some depth and a classic grille pattern in carbon black.
Ford Bronco Vintage grille in black IMG_4093

When I saw @Manx 1st gen tribute build (a truly stunning build), I decided to replace mine with the IAG Vintage grille. Only one problem: IAG only sells the grille in gloss white. There are no other white parts on the Badlands, and I’m not going for a heritage-style build with white painted wheels & hardtop that a white grille needs. Instead the grille would look best in carbon black or maybe hot pepper red surround with carbon black center.

Before committing to a design for a paint shop, I decided to try Hyperdip removable paint to see what it would look like in an all carbon black color. This is how it came out:
Ford Bronco Vintage grille in black IMG_4110

Ford Bronco Vintage grille in black IMG_4103

Ford Bronco Vintage grille in black IMG_4114

MUCH better! I did try it with and without the orange lens covers. I also tried the red-color ”BRONCO” letters that IAG includes with the grille, but the letters are very blocky and don’t look as good next to the orange lenses. So I removed and transferred the letters from the Badlands grille. I think this would look great with white lettered tires.

The Hyperdip was easy to do myself and took about 1.5 cans of the Frozen Black. With left over paint I decided to blackout my rear bucking bronco emblem. Very simple: no tight masking required, instead just peel off the paint on the sheet metal and it trims itself at the emblem.
Ford Bronco Vintage grille in black IMG_4121

Ford Bronco Vintage grille in black IMG_4123

I’ll keep it like this for a while to see how long the Hyperdip lasts, then will probably have the grille professionally painted.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mkass

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I seen this done on chrome and it eventually wears off. Keep us updated

OP
OP
DarthLincoln

DarthLincoln

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I seen this done on chrome and it eventually wears off. Keep us updated
Will do. This is only intended to be temporary to experiment with how it looks in all matte black. That was the reason I went with the Hyperdip. I do really like the look, so i may leave it on a while before I commit to a final paint. I’m also interested to see how it lasts on the grille. Other than cleaning, I did not prep the original white painted surface in any way before painting.

I’ll leave the blacked out emblem at the rear until it wears off, but it‘s not exposed to debris like the grille is. The nice thing is it‘s quick to redo it as needed, and I can always go back to the chrome whenever I want.

OP
OP
DarthLincoln

DarthLincoln

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If anyone is curious, here is a collage of various combinations I tried before final assembly. Top row compares the two stock grilles, then the middle and bottom row is the painted IAG Vintage grille with white or red letters, with or without the orange lenses.
Ford Bronco Vintage grille in black IMG_1680

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If one wants the Heritage grill (FORD lettering, smaller slots than the IAG, and there are only 6 across without encroaching on the headlamps), one could always paint it like the mule we saw last year.

Ford Bronco Vintage grille in black 1695510394557

Sponsored
OP
OP
DarthLincoln

DarthLincoln

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If one wants the Heritage grill (FORD lettering, smaller slots than the IAG, and there are only 6 across without encroaching on the headlamps), one could always paint it like the mule we saw last year.
Nice. One of the things I don’t like about the Ford OEM grilles is the grille pattern doesn’t go all the way to the headlights, so there is a blank surface above and below the turn signals. if I went with an OEM grille I would choose Black Diamond over the Heritage. It has similar traditional grille pattern (tho 7 across), but it is recessed in the grille area giving more of a brow around the grille.
Ford Bronco Vintage grille in black IMG_1681

Last edited:

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went a kind of similar route but bought Heritage grille which came in primer black and I painted it with a rattle can of satin special paint...and painted red letters gray. I wanted FORD and not BRONCO letters.
Ford Bronco Vintage grille in black 20230916_195123

Simple Man

Black Diamond
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Subaru Outback MT,'70 F-250 Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Here's my mix of the BD grill with VasherDesign's Classic
Ford Bronco Vintage grille in black BGrill1
Style F O R D letters.

Ford Bronco Vintage grille in black BGrill2

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Here's my mix of the BD grill with VasherDesign's Classic
Style F O R D letters.

Saw that before on Etsy, can you give a close up on the lettering please? I was wondering how they did the chrome around the red. TIA!

MEAT_GOD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco 2dr, 15 Maserati Quattroporte
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I went a kind of similar route but bought Heritage grille which came in primer black and I painted it with a rattle can of satin special paint...and painted red letters gray. I wanted FORD and not BRONCO letters.
Hey, is that a bag placed over a winch? If so, is it any specific kind?

Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey, is that a bag placed over a winch? If so, is it any specific kind?
Limited-time deal: Winch Cover, Heavy Duty Waterproof Dust-Proof Winch Protection Cover, Ideal for Electric Winches 8500-17500 lbs, Indoor/Outdoor (21.5” x 9.5” x 7.5”) - Black https://a.co/d/6l9izu0

CMillBronco

Base
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GMC HD 3500 AT4, 2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Base
I did the horse on the tailgate with extra hyper dip I had as well after doing my trucks trim, it looks so much better than the satin chrome or whatever Ford has there.

Grill looks much better but I bet the outside rim color match would look even better.

MEAT_GOD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco 2dr, 15 Maserati Quattroporte
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Limited-time deal: Winch Cover, Heavy Duty Waterproof Dust-Proof Winch Protection Cover, Ideal for Electric Winches 8500-17500 lbs, Indoor/Outdoor (21.5” x 9.5” x 7.5”) - Black https://a.co/d/6l9izu0
Sick, thanks! Glad it wasn't overpriced, as I'd have expected such a specific use-case item to be.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sick, thanks! Glad it wasn't overpriced, as I'd have expected such a specific use-case item to be.
I know, right? Tough to beat something under 15 bucks and it is holding up well...pretty heavy-duty for what it is.
Sponsored