Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hello All - I'm FINALLY headed to the dealership in the morning. THE day is finally here. However, I have a concern regarding the warranty / extended warranty. Full disclosure - This is my first new vehicle purchase. I emailed Granger last night to inquire into things that void the warranty/extended warranties. I plan to keep my Bronco for decades, so an extended warranty makes sense.

But, I want to install mods like the Rough Country hidden winch so that I can utilize the Lux features. As it turns out, Granger replied stating that: "what is not covered by this (assuming extended warranty) is alterations or modifications including the body or chassis after manufacturing, emissions upgrades or alterations, or any part not authorized by the vehicle's manufacturer, including lift kits, oversize tires, and performance enhancing powertrain components."

If you read and understand this so far, please clarify this for me. If I install the Rough Country hidden winch, does it VOID my warranty / extended warranty?
Or, is it specific to the "area" that was modified
such as lift components, oversized tires, exhaust upgrades?

Although I do not plan to purchase the extended warranty at time of purchase, I would appreciate some clarification before deciding if or how to modify my new Bronco. Thanks ahead for your input, especially those with experience in this area.
Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The warranty applies to anything you don’t modify as long as the damage/issue can’t be directly attributable to a modification.

Installing a lift is going to void the warranty on the suspension parts you’ve replaced, plus any parts that may get damaged because of the lift. For example - your steering rack isn’t replaced by the lift kit but could be damaged due to the lift.. don’t expect that to be covered unless you can prove a manufacturers defect.

A third party engine tune would be plenty for Ford to potentially deny a warranty claim if you somehow damage or blow your engine. Most tunes have the ability to revert back to stock settings because of that.

They cannot void your entire warranty for modifying your vehicle, but they don’t have to cover anything you’ve modified yourself.

Extended warranties are a slightly different beast, but generally follow the same rules.

OP
OP
lil_mule_4x4

lil_mule_4x4

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The warranty applies to anything you don’t modify as long as the damage/issue can’t be directly attributable to a modification.

Installing a lift is going to void the warranty on the suspension parts you’ve replaced, plus any parts that may get damaged because of the lift. For example - your steering rack isn’t replaced by the lift kit but could be damaged due to the lift.. don’t expect that to be covered unless you can prove a manufacturers defect.

A third party engine tune would be plenty for Ford to potentially deny a warranty claim if you somehow damage or blow your engine. Most tunes have the ability to revert back to stock settings because of that.

They cannot void your entire warranty for modifying your vehicle, but they don’t have to cover anything you’ve modified yourself.

Extended warranties are a slightly different beast, but generally follow the same rules.
@Theherofails - Thanks for your input (and stress relief)! I can now feel much better about mods already purchased as well as future mods to come. It didn't make sense to me that Ford would put a "LIFT ME" Easter egg if that very lift install voided the warranty.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Will be hit or miss depending on dealer and relation ship with said dealer. Talk to your dealer first and ask them if what your planning to do is good with them. If they say no, talk to another dealer.

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Magnusson Moss Warranty Act states the dealer has to prove the aftermarket part caused the failure. However, the intent of the act was more around preventing manufacturers from requiring only oem parts and not around modifying the vehicle.

Lots of people will use this to say that you should have no problem because they have to prove the modification caused an issue, but the dealer can deny you for any reason and then you have to hire a lawyer and fight it in the courts. That is a worst case scenario though.

In my experience, if you're reasonable, the dealer is usually reasonable. I wouldn't expect them to fix anything associated with the suspension or steering if I was lifted, but if the fuel door fell off then yes, I'd expect that to be made right.

If have twice had warranty work performed on modded vehicles:

In 2005 my AC line was leaking on my 2003 Sentra. Replaced under warranty even though I had replaced the header, and I'm pretty sure I caused the leak when installing the header.

in 2010 my '07 JK radiator fan went out, and I was lifted 4" with 37s. I also think I might have cause the issue as I had cleaned the engine bay and found out later the JK fan was very sensitive to water.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Magnusson Moss Warranty Act states the dealer has to prove the aftermarket part caused the failure. However, the intent of the act was more around preventing manufacturers from requiring only oem parts and not around modifying the vehicle.

Lots of people will use this to say that you should have no problem because they have to prove the modification caused an issue, but the dealer can deny you for any reason and then you have to hire a lawyer and fight it in the courts. That is a worst case scenario though.

In my experience, if you're reasonable, the dealer is usually reasonable. I wouldn't expect them to fix anything associated with the suspension or steering if I was lifted, but if the fuel door fell off then yes, I'd expect that to be made right.

If have twice had warranty work performed on modded vehicles:

In 2005 my AC line was leaking on my 2003 Sentra. Replaced under warranty even though I had replaced the header, and I'm pretty sure I caused the leak when installing the header.

in 2010 my '07 JK radiator fan went out, and I was lifted 4" with 37s. I also think I might have cause the issue as I had cleaned the engine bay and found out later the JK fan was very sensitive to water.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/ffs-lets-all-stop-referencing-the-magnussen-moss-act.609911/

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Quite simply it will be the specific dealer you go to who will determine that. Its not a black and white answer. Some members here will be fine and others will be denied a warranty claim because of same modification. You need to talk to your dealer. Its all how they word the claim to ford. Trying to fight ford will take up ALL your time after the fact.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Note who the "manufacturer" is in this story. My brother had a similar experience w/another European make, and from customer reports they are all like that. Its is for this exact reason I refuse to buy a European vehicle, new or used...even if they are manufactured in North America. Vote with your dollars!
Regardless of noting ‘anything’

you claim it’s warranted
They dont
Now you hire a lawyer
Now Facebook and this forum say just quote Magnussen act

and I would tell you to your face when you tell me how you will get an attorney

‘get two’

just like the guy in the story I posted did

While it’s not always adversarial they do not have to ‘prove’ anything

they deny or not

interestingly in court burden of ‘proof’ is on who???

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Regardless of noting ‘anything’

you claim it’s warranted
They dont
Now you hire a lawyer
Now Facebook and this forum say just quote Magnussen act

and I would tell you to your face when you tell me how you will get an attorney

‘get two’

just like the guy in the story I posted did

While it’s not always adversarial they do not have to ‘prove’ anything

they deny or not

interestingly in court burden of ‘proof’ is on who???
All true...if any mfg decides to tell a customer to pound sand, legal recourse is very limited. The "court of public opinion" however is a completely different matter. My opinion about the mfg in THAT story was already irreparably damaged, so I am not suprised at all. Nothing to do with thier product (which is also complete junk), but the way they treat customers. Ford isn't perfect in that department, but much better than them...although I fear that Ford will copy them, if they continue to screw customers the way they do! As I said vote with your dollars!

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Remove any questionable mods before taking the vehicle in for warranty work. Very simple

Mpatient1

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BD CO/MID, 2006 mustang pony package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs