Sponsored

Wonder what happened to the retracting shade top?

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was going through old Bronco files I had saved from 2018/2019 and found these patents for a retractable top that was suppose to be on the Bronco. I am sure I got them out of some long forgotten thread on here. I would have to say this is one of the features I remember looking forward to seeing in action. It is a bummer it didn't make the cut.

Ford Bronco Wonder what happened to the retracting shade top? 2021-ford-bronco-soft-top-retractable-roof-1
Ford Bronco Wonder what happened to the retracting shade top? 2021-ford-bronco-soft-top-retractable-roof-2
Ford Bronco Wonder what happened to the retracting shade top? 2021-ford-bronco-soft-top-retractable-roof-3
Ford Bronco Wonder what happened to the retracting shade top? 2021-ford-bronco-soft-top-retractable-roof-4
Ford Bronco Wonder what happened to the retracting shade top? 2021-ford-bronco-soft-top-retractable-roof-5
Ford Bronco Wonder what happened to the retracting shade top? 2021-ford-bronco-soft-top-retractable-roof-8
Ford Bronco Wonder what happened to the retracting shade top? 2021-ford-bronco-soft-top-retractable-roof-9
Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wasn't there a side awning or something? Maybe not Ford per se but maybe Yakima?

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Late availability??

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Jeep has something like that. You would think Ford would also

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Didn't the concept Bronco from month ago (with the square fender wells) have a canister like this mounted above the cargo area? I have been waiting for it to appear as an accessory?.

EDIT: Just found the photo and I am incorrect. Whatever it was, the canister was too narrow to be a top.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jr87mustang

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Didn't the concept Bronco from month ago (with the square fender wells) have a canister like this mounted above the cargo area? I have been waiting for it to appear as an accessory?.
I think that was the speaker tube.

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford showed a retractable soft top on the OBX in one video. I believe it went back partially, not completely. Not sure if the existing accessory Bimini tops are similar in design, but I bet the top in question, if it will actually become available will be part of the group of 200 accessories which have yet to materialize.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

EDIT: Just found the photo and I am incorrect. Whatever it was, the canister was too narrow to be a top.
This?
Ford Bronco Wonder what happened to the retracting shade top? soundbar

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was going through old Bronco files I had saved from 2018/2019 and found these patents for a retractable top that was suppose to be on the Bronco. I am sure I got them out of some long forgotten thread on here. I would have to say this is one of the features I remember looking forward to seeing in action. It is a bummer it didn't make the cut.

2021-ford-bronco-soft-top-retractable-roof-1.jpg
2021-ford-bronco-soft-top-retractable-roof-2.jpg
2021-ford-bronco-soft-top-retractable-roof-3.jpg
2021-ford-bronco-soft-top-retractable-roof-4.jpg
2021-ford-bronco-soft-top-retractable-roof-5.jpg
2021-ford-bronco-soft-top-retractable-roof-8.jpg
2021-ford-bronco-soft-top-retractable-roof-9.jpg
If there's one thing I've learned following technology leaks over the years is that it's a loooooooong walk from a patent application to what is actually destined for a final product.