First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
so I understand to open these up to full range you need forscan and to set it to 3800 and 900 or keep 901

I do not plan to add any additional amps, just want these rear speakers that I upgraded to sound good. I’ve read conflicting things on the EQ setting. That flattening it sounds worse.

My question is- has anyone ever just upgraded to 6.5 rear speakers… no amps or sub woofer… and were you happy with the results of just doing forscan?

Also, could you have the dealer flash the JBL soundbar with these mabetts and it do the same thing?

Sorry for another post about this but most posts and all of what I read gets bogged down with kicker let’s and such.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My question is- has anyone ever just upgraded to 6.5 rear speakers… no amps or sub woofer… and were you happy with the results of just doing forscan?
A lot of people have been happy with it but you have to set expectations appropriately.

The most impactful speakers—the main characters (if I were to use a movie analogy)—in the sound system are the four speakers up front. The two rear speakers are basically just a supporting role. So if you upgrade the supporting role, and don’t expect a dramatic change.

Also, could you have the dealer flash the JBL soundbar with these mabetts and it do the same thing?
The dealership just has to change the ACM configuration for Speaker 3/4 to “Extended Range AC” in FDRS.

The soundbar flash applies a new EQ curve tuned specifically for the JBL soundbar. You can apply it if you want, but the rear pods still won’t have full range.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I changed the rears to a pair of Focals in the Mabett pods that I lined with sound deadening. I was very happy with the results before messing with Forscan yesterday. I am not sure I like the post Forscan sound.

I used RagnarKon's thread with the reply by Redone17 and changed the following in the ACM:

727-01-01XX2B28XXXXXX
727-01-02XX00XXXXXXXX

The top is to change the rears to "speaker + tweeter" and the bottom is turning off the EQ. I have the base sound system not BO.

OP
OP

Pask2155

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I changed the rears to a pair of Focals in the Mabett pods that I lined with sound deadening. I was very happy with the results before messing with Forscan yesterday. I am not sure I like the post Forscan sound.

I used RagnarKon's thread with the reply by Redone17 and changed the following in the ACM:

727-01-01XX2B28XXXXXX
727-01-02XX00XXXXXXXX

The top is to change the rears to "speaker + tweeter" and the bottom is turning off the EQ. I have the base sound system not BO.
yeah interesting. That’s what I was reading. I have base sound system and just installed the polks in the mabett pods with a lot of sound deadening stuff too and it’s better but there’s no bass.

I haven’t messed with forscan at all. I’m a bit afraid to to be honest. But something I’ve read, and maybe to try just speaker setting not speaker and tweeter.

OR WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU KEEP THE STOCK EQ BUT CHANGE TO “Speaker”… are the pods better?

try this changes and let me know what you think!

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
yeah interesting. That’s what I was reading. I have base sound system and just installed the polks in the mabett pods with a lot of sound deadening stuff too and it’s better but there’s no bass.

I haven’t messed with forscan at all. I’m a bit afraid to to be honest. But something I’ve read, and maybe to try just speaker setting not speaker and tweeter.

OR WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU KEEP THE STOCK EQ BUT CHANGE TO “Speaker”… are the pods better?

try this changes and let me know what you think!
My "As Built" settings were "Tweeter" for each rear speaker.

I have a few combinations to go through today:

EQ-off, Rears-Speaker
EQ-on, Rears-Speaker+Tweeter
EQ-on, Rears-Speaker

I'll let you know what I like best.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Pask2155

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My "As Built" settings were "Tweeter" for each rear speaker.

I have a few combinations to go through today:

EQ-off, Rears-Speaker
EQ-on, Rears-Speaker+Tweeter
EQ-on, Rears-Speaker

I'll let you know what I like best.
perfect! That’s exactly what I’ve been waiting for someone to test out. Thanks so much!

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
perfect! That’s exactly what I’ve been waiting for someone to test out. Thanks so much!
EQRearsOpinion
ONSPEAKERSUCKS
ONSPEAKER + TWEETERSUCKS
OFFSPEAKERGOOD
OFFSPEAKER + TWEETERSUCKS

So, this time, I made sure to compare under the same conditions--as best I could felt like.

Same portion of the same song, faded all to the rear, and at volumes 12 and 15.

23 by Hannah Montana Miley Cyrus, from 0:15 to 0:30, because it has vocals and that bass sound that varies in pitch but is discrete enough to compare the outputs with the different settings.

EQ-ON was cutting out all lower frequencies, but it still doesn't send frequencies down to subwoofer range to the rears with it off. It's a full-er range, though, with it off--recommended.

I installed 4 Ohm speakers and they sounded better on "SPEAKER." I think that in that same thread by @RagnarKon it is discussed that "SPEAKER + TWEETER" is for a 2 Ohm impedence. I can't verify that, but it did seem to send less power back there in that setting--plausible.

***I didn't write this down, so now I'm doubting the above... hang on
Yes, SPEAKER good, SPEAKER + TWEETER bad.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Pask2155

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
EQRearsOpinion
ONSPEAKERSUCKS
ONSPEAKER + TWEETERSUCKS
OFFSPEAKERGOOD
OFFSPEAKER + TWEETERSUCKS

So, this time, I made sure to compare under the same conditions--as best I could felt like.

Same portion of the same song, faded all to the rear, and at volumes 12 and 15.

23 by Hannah Montana Miley Cyrus, from 0:15 to 0:30, because it has vocals and that bass sound that varies in pitch but is discrete enough to compare the outputs with the different settings.

EQ-ON was cutting out all lower frequencies, but it still doesn't send frequencies down to subwoofer range to the rears with it off. It's a full-er range, though, with it off--recommended.

I installed 4 Ohm speakers and they sounded better on "SPEAKER." I think that in that same thread by @RagnarKon it is discussed that "SPEAKER + TWEETER" is for a 2 Ohm impedence. I can't verify that, but it did seem to send less power back there in that setting--plausible.

***I didn't write this down, so now I'm doubting the above... hang on
Yes, SPEAKER good, SPEAKER + TWEETER bad.
wow! Thanks for the write up! That’s great! Did you notice with the EQ off, it affected the front speakers at all? I guess my question is, with EQ off, was the overall mix up front affected at all, whether good or bad?

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
wow! Thanks for the write up! That’s great! Did you notice with the EQ off, it affected the front speakers at all? I guess my question is, with EQ off, was the overall mix up front affected at all, whether good or bad?
I didn't fade it to the front to check, but it didn't seem different...

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It does make a very minor change (the roll-off on the high-end), but it's so minor that I suspect most people wouldn't even notice... That's why disabling the EQ is the best way to give some bass to the rear pods... removes the factory high-pass filter on the the rear pod speakers, negligible impact for the front.

This is not the case for the B&O package by the way. You turn off the EQ on the B&O package and the whole thing sounds like garbage.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Pask2155

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It does make a very minor change (the roll-off on the high-end), but it's so minor that I suspect most people wouldn't even notice... That's why disabling the EQ is the best way to give some bass to the rear pods... removes the factory high-pass filter on the the rear pod speakers, negligible impact for the front.

This is not the case for the B&O package by the way. You turn off the EQ on the B&O package and the whole thing sounds like garbage.
That makes sense. Maybe what I’ve been reading on forums were for the B and O system??? There’s so much out there and the variations it makes it pretty confusing sometimes…

Langwilliams

Big Bend
First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco big bend, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm following this since I plan on getting the larger speaker pods. I already have a set of 6.5 speakers I've had in the basement a few years. Bought them for a jeep project an sold it before using them.

I have the factory small sub but but not the B&O. I just want a fuller sound. Wondering if the EQ will have that effect on the basic system with the sub.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm following this since I plan on getting the larger speaker pods. I already have a set of 6.5 speakers I've had in the basement a few years. Bought them for a jeep project an sold it before using them.

I have the factory small sub but but not the B&O. I just want a fuller sound. Wondering if the EQ will have that effect on the basic system with the sub.
You need to change out all of your factory speakers and you'll notice a difference.

Changing the EQ to off will not magically turn those 4 inch paper coasters in the back into decent speakers either.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you have the base sound system with a sub the Forscan mods work really well.

If you have the Lux package with B&O system... not so much. The fact of the matter is it is much more costly/difficult to upgrade the B&O system than it is to do the base audio system.

I will warn you that most people probably won't be happy with just replacing the rear pods, you probably won't be satisfied until you install an aftermarket amp. Upgrading the speakers definitely help, no doubt about it, but upgrading those alone probably won't get you where you want to be. I personally just skipped the rear pod upgrade because I didn't feel like it was worth the cost, but since you already have the speakers it makes a lot more sense for you.

Last edited:

Langwilliams

Big Bend
First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco big bend, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Upgrading the speakers definitely help, no doubt about it, but upgrading those alone probably won't get you where you want to be.
I don't really crank the music up in the Bronco so I don't really want to put an amp in it. I put Hertz components powered by an Arc Audio amp on my Harley since I have to overcome the road noise to hear it. If I enjoyed taking the top off I might look at an amp.

I might replace the speakers eventually. I did in my ranger an all it really did was allow me to crank it up more before it distorted. I may look for some 2 Ohm speakers to see if they respond to the stock system a little better without adding an amp.
Sponsored