Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Gents,

For those who have gone from a capable bumper with sensors to a modular with sensors, did you use your capable wiring harness and sensors?

I understand the sensor retainers are different between a capable and modular due to the curvature of the bumpers, but was it plug and play with the sensors and wiring or did you have to use the modular wiring and sensors?

I have both sets of wiring and sensors, just curious which is the best way to proceed.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Try4mud

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I used the capable harness. Needed to trim the sensors to fit with a box cutter.

Try4mud

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No. Reused everything. I'm sure they aren't lined up perfectly, but they seem to work fine.

Squatched

Badlands
First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Only thing I purchased was new sensor holders since the original owner had to reside them for his new bumper.

I did no cutting or modifying of the capable harness or sensors. Swapped the outer front sensors with my outer rear sensors. That gave me the 90 degree angle to clear the brackets in the mod bumper.

IMG_5346.jpeg

Sponsored
OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Only thing I purchased was new sensor holders since the original owner had to reside them for his new bumper.

I did no cutting or modifying of the capable harness or sensors. Swapped the outer front sensors with my outer rear sensors. That gave me the 90 degree angle to clear the brackets in the mod bumper.

Ford Bronco Conversion--Capable to Modular: Parking Sensors & Wiring Harness IMG_5346
So your modular bumper sensors had the 90° connections or was it the capable bumper that had them?

I have not pulled my capable bumper off yet to see them, but the modular sensors that I have are all "flat" (180°) connectors and there is no interference.

Curious as to what you had to clear that needed the 90° connectors.

Thanks for the information!

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So your modular bumper sensors had the 90° connections or was it the capable bumper that had them?

I have not pulled my capable bumper off yet to see them, but the modular sensors that I have are all "flat" (180°) connectors and there is no interference.

Curious as to what you had to clear that needed the 90° connectors.

Thanks for the information!
Have you installed the sensor with the rear plugs along with the metal bracket that mounts inside of the modular bumper on the ends, right behind the sensors (#27 in the diagram below)? That's where the interference generally happens with the sensors on the outer corners.

Ford Bronco Conversion--Capable to Modular: Parking Sensors & Wiring Harness 1713987619226-mb

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Have you installed the sensor with the rear plugs along with the metal bracket that mounts inside of the modular bumper on the ends, right behind the sensors (#27 in the diagram below)? That's where the interference generally happens with the sensors on the outer corners.

Ford Bronco Conversion--Capable to Modular: Parking Sensors & Wiring Harness 1713987619226-mb
Yes; I mean my modular came fully assembled with the sensors and the wiring harnesses intact.

The outer skin of the bumper had quite a few scratches/light gouges (it was $200), so I disassembled it to have it repainted. Although the sensors are "used", I may re-use them and the modular wiring harness (provided it will connect to the body wiring) and keep the capable bumper sensors/wiring harness as spares.

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes; I mean my modular came fully assembled with the sensors and the wiring harnesses intact.

The outer skin of the bumper had quite a few scratches/light gouges (it was $200), so I disassembled it to have it repainted. Although the sensors are "used", I may re-use them and the modular wiring harness (provided it will connect to the body wiring) and keep the capable bumper sensors/wiring harness as spares.
Just to clarify, were the sensors that came with your mod bumper variant A or B (in picture below)? The ones that cause issues on the mod bumper is sensor type B (which come installed in the capable) because the plug has to go straight back from the surface and it interferes with that metal bracket I described above. If you already have sensor type A, you're good to go.

Ford Bronco Conversion--Capable to Modular: Parking Sensors & Wiring Harness Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 12.48.20 PM

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just to clarify, were the sensors that came with your mod bumper variant A or B (in picture below)? The ones that cause issues on the mod bumper is sensor type B (which come installed in the capable) because the plug has to go straight back from the surface and it interferes with that metal bracket I described above. If you already have sensor type A, you're good to go.

Ford Bronco Conversion--Capable to Modular: Parking Sensors & Wiring Harness Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 12.48.20 PM
Type A - with 180° connectors. Despite the scratches and need to repaint, I scored a heck of a deal at $200 given the sensors and harness were still on the modular bumper.

Sponsored

Squatched

Badlands
First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You’re good to go then. The easiest swap possible. I would just use the mod bumper as is with its harness and sensors no need to change anything. It will be plug and play.

Squatched

Badlands
First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Type A came from my front capable bumper. Type B came from my rear steel bumper. I swapped them front to back when I went mod bumper.

Using Type B in the front outer mod bumper holes. Type A is now in my rear outer steel bumper holes. I only swapped the sensors themselves leaving all holders in the original locations. Hope that clears it up.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You’re good to go then. The easiest swap possible. I would just use the mod bumper as is with its harness and sensors no need to change anything. It will be plug and play.
Many thanks for this. Could not be easier then!
Sponsored