Sponsored

More Powerful Bronco Engine Anytime Soon? (Non-raptor trim)

Surfnbike

First Name
Mahtayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco wannabe
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I test drove a 2023 WT 4-door with the 2.7L twin turbo last week. Overall I wasn't too impressed with the throttle response and power that the engine had. I realize that the 35s will slow it down a bit. Admittedly I may be a bit biased with my current truck; I'm not expecting the Bronco to scream past a TRX or anything but I feel like an extra 50 or 100hp would go a long ways.

Anyways, I'm wondering if there is any word that Ford is going to put a more powerful engine into the Bronco in the future? I would wait a couple years if that were the case. Not interested in a raptor because its too wide for the trails I run. It would be nice if Ford offered the 3.0L engine in the non-raptor trims since the transmission and driveline is seemingly capable of handling the extra HP.
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Unlikely they’ll be changing anything anytime soon. Maybe in the distant future, but even then I wouldn’t expect anything much more powerful.

ScLeCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I test drove a 2023 WT 4-door with the 2.7L twin turbo last week. Overall I wasn't too impressed with the throttle response and power that the engine had. I realize that the 35s will slow it down a bit. Admittedly I may be a bit biased with my current truck; I'm not expecting the Bronco to scream past a TRX or anything but I feel like an extra 50 or 100hp would go a long ways.

Anyways, I'm wondering if there is any word that Ford is going to put a more powerful engine into the Bronco in the future? I would wait a couple years if that were the case. Not interested in a raptor because its too wide for the trails I run. It would be nice if Ford offered the 3.0L engine in the non-raptor trims since the transmission and driveline is seemingly capable of handling the extra HP.
I hear you. It's as slow as molasses flowing uphill in January.
But no, it's not getting anything more powerful any time soon.
The performance aftermarket and tuning are pretty limited as well.
My suggestion is accept that you're not going anywhere quickly in a Bronco
and have another vehicle the satisfies the go fast itch.

Sponsored

roadsterlife

Raptor
First Name
Freddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor, Miata, BRZ
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Can you just get a tune if you need an extra 50hp? A different engine is off the table until at least 2025 assuming they even change it.

When I test drove a WT I thought it moved pretty good considering it's size.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Were you in sport mode? If not, go back and try again in sport mode.

Also, try Baja mode in 2H on the pavement.

1st gear is nerfed, so try it from second gear for throttle response.

iSarge

Wildtrak
First Name
Sir Slalom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The 3.5L EB is more of what you're looking for, isn't it?

buckhorn_cortez

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, SHO, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is hilarious. The current Bronco is not a sport vehicle. It has nearly double the horsepower of any of the previous Broncos that I've owned (1971, 1985, 1992).

"... slow as molasses flowing uphill in January..." My 1992 had a 351 V8. It was 203 horsepower and the truck weighed 5,000 pounds. Standard Broncos have never been a performance vehicle. If that's what you want - you need to buy a different vehicle.

Sponsored

STONEWALKER

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrak, 2020 VW Cross Sport
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’m not sure what kind of performance you’re looking for, but I have no problem getting up and going in it. Sport mode gives it more than enough pep for daily driving. Maybe you left the parking break on??

ScLeCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is hilarious. The current Bronco is not a sport vehicle. It has nearly double the horsepower of any of the previous Broncos that I've owned (1971, 1985, 1992).

"... slow as molasses flowing uphill in January..." My 1992 had a 351 V8. It was 203 horsepower and the truck weighed 5,000 pounds. Standard Broncos have never been a performance vehicle. If that's what you want - you need to buy a different vehicle.
"have another vehicle the satisfies the go fast itch."

Ford Bronco More Powerful Bronco Engine Anytime Soon? (Non-raptor trim) 59597549

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

According to reliable inside sources it will have a compound-boosted 7.3 with a flat plane crank after the 2030 refresh, probably ”late availability” in April of 2031. Unfortunately it will only be available with a manual transmission, 8 bolt lug wheels, and manual locking hubs.

Last edited:

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Install the Ford Performance tune. It becomes a totally different driving experience.

Gregb2771

Outer Banks
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150, 2023 bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a TRX and a Bronco. My 2.7 has the Ford Performance tune. I have no complaints about its acceleration.
I am using the recommended premium fuel with the 2.7 and it’s fast. I can blow the doors off most vehicles.
Sponsored