First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
While I'm in the market for a '23 Raptor (working on a couple available at the moment), I have been looking at accessories. In particular front and rear bumpers, but I'm concerned on the mounting points- they are mounted in essentially one plane and that would be prone to failure in real world use.

To quantify- I have built numerous vehicles, own two heavily modified Classic Broncos, and I have been rock crawling & off-roading for 25+ years. I canā€™t leave my vehicles stock. I have a purpose built rock crawler so the Raptor won't see that kind of abuse, but I want the bumpers to be as sleek as possible, protective of sheetmetal, recovery capable and overall- reliable. To that end- I really liked the appearance of the Addictive Desert Design (ADD) Rock-Fighter bumpers.

I have reviewed hundreds of videos and dozens of builds here and on other forums- until I came across @FiveAngelsOutdoor Raptor build. He seems to use his Raptor- nothing crazy, but real world use. Then I see the video that I snapped the below pictures from. Mount fail during a snatch recovery on an ADD front winch bumper. While the bumper seemed to come out OK, clearly it lacked support.

ADD advertises " two reinforced clevis mounts for soft shackles to provide recovery options " and points this out in their videos as well. It was a pretty aggressive snatch, but this is common in many off-road situations- especially on a heavy vehicle.

I have seen other posts about the factory recovery points being tweaked in recoveries, hidden winch mounts damaging the frames and accidents reveal a really weak front structure of the Broncos. So- what are we to do with this information? I have seen some winch bumpers that come with additional brackets to strengthen the bumper mounting point, are they enough? I don't want to weld onto the frame to support loading of this nature. There was additonal damage to his electrical system- a lot could go wrong here.

Any better bumper designs with real world snatch recoveries that would demonstrate the strength- without damage? What about rear bumpers where Iā€™m more likely to use a snatch rope or strap? Similar type mounting points to the front.

I think @FiveAngelsOutdoor is a member here- maybe he can comment with better pics of the failure. Maybe someone from ADD or another bumper company can chime in. Either way- looking for real world input. Dropping $90k on a Raptor and then $6k on winch and bumpers is a significant investment to put at risk in this manner....

Ford Bronco Raptor Winch Bumper- Fail? 1707930938853

Ford Bronco Raptor Winch Bumper- Fail? 1707930957595

Ford Bronco Raptor Winch Bumper- Fail? 1707930968473
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not a fan of winches being mounted on top of the bumper...just creates strain on the bumper mounting points. I went with BAMF winch bumper on my BL...winch line and recovery points are virtually in line with the frame rail mounting points and the thing is STOUT. Not sure if they have anything for the Braptor. In the end I suppose it boils down to the frame rail connections and recovery point location...looks like the pic you posted the recovery points are low (below frame rail mounting points) and it just pulled off the frame. Several brands sell frame rail mounting reinforcement plates.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Full video of the failure here:

Could that be a tow strap not a snatch line? I'm used to seeing snatch ropes round but know you can also get them flat. Let's hear some details about the recovery.

Although I am not in the market for a bumper(s), I do think ADD makes about the best looking Raptor bumpers. I'd love to hear their input on this scenario too.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Full video of the failure here:

Could that be a tow strap not a snatch line? I'm used to seeing snatch ropes round but know you can also get them flat. Let's hear some details about the recovery.

Although I am not in the market for a bumper(s), I do think ADD makes about the best looking Raptor bumpers. I'd love to hear their input on this scenario too.
That's exactly what that is! Wrong tool for the job. But reinforcement are needed, in my opinion no matter what.

There's a couple of companies building brace kits, TD Distributing is one I can think of, the other I don't remember. I thought it was LOBO, but couldn't find it on their site so maybe not.

OP
OP
DewarT

DewarT

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Its hard to tell the difference between a snatch strap and tow strap from that short video. While the correct strap is far superior in these situations, there is still a mounting failure on the Bronco and bumper that is a big concern

Sponsored
OP
OP
DewarT

DewarT

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
After searching a bit- there are brace kits, but its odd to me that ADD sells theirs separate and not as a part of their bumpers- designed to be used for this purpose. Seems like a huge liability.

ADDā€™s separate bracket kit (brackets on both sides)- still less significant than the ā€˜major brandsā€™.
Ford Bronco Raptor Winch Bumper- Fail? 1708000250268

The Ford winch plate (Made by Warn?) has 4 additional parts in their kit (per side) to strengthen the mounting location.
Ford Bronco Raptor Winch Bumper- Fail? 1708000274608
Ford Bronco Raptor Winch Bumper- Fail? 1708000279014

If you look at the legacy brand name winch bumper manufacturers, most of them have some bracing as well. Warnā€™s Elite bumper has some significant bracketry (different than the winch plate)
Ford Bronco Raptor Winch Bumper- Fail? 1708000305987
Ford Bronco Raptor Winch Bumper- Fail? 1708000310045

OP
OP
DewarT

DewarT

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
ARB bumpers also have some significant bracketry
Ford Bronco Raptor Winch Bumper- Fail? 1708000339929

The Tricky Dick brackets are impressive.
Ford Bronco Raptor Winch Bumper- Fail? 1708000369587

LOBO does offer a completely unique approach as they ties bumper reinforcement into the body mount with their 'Crash Bar Erase Kit'- a significant structure. Thanks for pointing them out!

Ford Bronco Raptor Winch Bumper- Fail? 1708000571247

The fairly popular Rough Country high winch mount and their tubular bumper offer no frame support brackets.

Similarly the popular DV8 bumpers also do not offer any additional frame support

Clearly this isnā€™t an extensive review of bumpers and winch mounts, but I think this is great information on what to look for when shopping for a winch mount. I should also note that without seeing the structure of the bumpers themselves, the offset and internal support structure of winch mount or recovery points looks different on each bumper/mount and some seem to have less support there as well.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have been paying attention to bumper install videos and the factory bumper flange / framehorn does look pretty flimsy to me. Itā€™s a huge concern especially in a flat towing situation behind a motorhome (as I will be doing) where lives are at stake. I ordered one of the bracket kits that addresses this, but I wish it was made out of slightly thicker material. I may also add some weld and gussets, but donā€™t recommend a novice welder doing this. That crashbar delete/body mount replacement structure that ties into the bumper mou shown above is clearly the best option.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

ARB bumpers also have some significant bracketry

The Tricky Dick brackets are impressive.

LOBO does offer a completely unique approach as they ties bumper reinforcement into the body mount with their 'Crash Bar Erase Kit'- a significant structure. Thanks for pointing them out!

The fairly popular Rough Country high winch mount and their tubular bumper offer no frame support brackets.

Similarly the popular DV8 bumpers also do not offer any additional frame support

Clearly this isnā€™t an extensive review of bumpers and winch mounts, but I think this is great information on what to look for when shopping for a winch mount. I should also note that without seeing the structure of the bumpers themselves, the offset and internal support structure of winch mount or recovery points looks different on each bumper/mount and some seem to have less support there as well.
I was also impressed with pics I saw of the Tricky Dick brackets but could not find them. Saw a thread that ended without a source for them, maybe because theyā€™re not a sponsor on here?

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was also impressed with pics I saw of the Tricky Dick brackets but could not find them. Saw a thread that ended without a source for them, maybe because theyā€™re not a sponsor on here?
Google search Tricky Motorsports

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Mdozier

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 F250, 24 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You might check @Valhallaā€™s build. While itā€™s a badlands, he modified the ARB front end with a winch for his rig and itā€™s impressive. Not sure what frame mount differences you might face with the raptor but the info may help

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

PWillette