Sponsored

2.3L turbo is shot [CLOSED DUE TO INSULTING BEHAVIOR BY OP & OTHERS. BANS INSTITUTED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

JBBP

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Judy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The good part is that it is just a turbo swap and not the whole engine. It seems like the 2.3L that have issues are within the first 100 miles or so...real early. Get past that and you're most likely home free and enjoying a reliable engine. At least it failed before you took possession and were on your way home. You get this out of the way and you'll have a reliable vehicle.
Yes, thank you! I need all the good vibes I can get.
Sponsored

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes, thank you! I need all the good vibes I can get.
It really is a good engine. I've enjoyed having it in my OBX with Squatch. Even with the auto. It is better it happened before you were on the road home...you'd be extra pissed if it left you stranded.

Overboost

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Great to have your insight. Are you by chance following the thread of the @60 2.7s with blown valves? What's your guess on whether this might become a recall?
From what Iā€™ve read, these all failed at low mileage. Ford will show that the issue was confined to a certain batch. Any that fail will be replaced. I donā€™t see a recall happeningā€¦but thereā€™s a first for everything.

Ecobeast

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

These seems to be fairly isolated to the Bronco so the problem being due to sitting is at least plausible. I had a 5th gen Ranger and spent plenty of time over on that forum. Very rarely read about blown turbos on the Ranger. The 2.3 is the better engine in my opinion so other than this they are pretty reliable. Only issue that seems widespread is fuel dilution.

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yup it sat there and if itā€™s designed anything like the 6.0 with a unison ring they rust together. They can be disassembled and cleaned if itā€™s a unison ring issue but in a new vehicle they probably would rather not. As we have one of each Iā€™m trying to keep up on any issues. Both of ours are Dailey drivers so hoping that helps some.
This is great to know it isn't good to sit. Having multiple vehicles, I am careful to drive all regularly as I know sitting isn't good and haven't had issues. Often when I was away for extended periods, I had vehicles started to drive out moisture. Hopefully this doesn't mean these are even more sensitive to sitting.

Sponsored

DD214

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2015 Pilot, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Got nothing to add other than i feel for you. Sorry it happened.

FormerJeepJunkie

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Shit happens. Tell me why a decent amount of 2.3 turbos are failing and why a few of them have come off dirt or ice mountain?
Letā€™s also remember cars on lots get driven- moved around, test driven, etc. Mountain broncos sit. And sit. And sit. And in fairly extreme conditions.
Yes, this. I worked in the car business for years. Cars rarely sit as they are for more than a week or so. People test drive, lots get moved around, things get checked out. Even if that one doesnā€™t sell, the 2 next to it might, so youā€™ve got to move 2 to fill that spot. Trust me- they get attention. I had a boss that would make us line them up each Saturday, rain or shine.

BroncMe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs
Your Bronco Model
Base
plan for customization of my basequatch in year ten is a coyote. I grew up in Jasper IN where rebuilt engine swaps for trucks are as natural as the spring rain

Overboost

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes, this. I worked in the car business for years. Cars rarely sit as they are for more than a week or so. People test drive, lots get moved around, things get checked out. Even if that one doesnā€™t sell, the 2 next to it might, so youā€™ve got to move 2 to fill that spot. Trust me- they get attention. I had a boss that would make us line them up each Saturday, rain or shine.
These vehicles havenā€™t been on dealer lots - they have been sitting outdoors in a holding yard waiting on parts.

FormerJeepJunkie

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
These vehicles havenā€™t been on dealer lots - they have been sitting outdoors in a holding yard waiting on parts.
Right, right. Thatā€™s what I was trying to say. Sitting on dirt mountain is not the same as a car lot. One moves- the other sits.

Sponsored

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

sorry man. shit does happen, hope you get sorted and they do something extra for you.

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

From what Iā€™ve read, these all failed at low mileage. Ford will show that the issue was confined to a certain batch. Any that fail will be replaced. I donā€™t see a recall happeningā€¦but thereā€™s a first for everything.
Great to have your insight. Are you by chance following the thread of the @60 2.7s with blown valves? What's your guess on whether this might become a recall?
Just read up on the Eco Diesel failures and the troubles with the Diesels in the Nissans and many other engines through the years. Rarely full recalls. I think I would rather have a engine fail and get a entirely new engine vs pulling and replacing heads.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
At least he doesn't have to wait for 2 turbos to be replaced.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Silver lining:

Your dealer caught it during the pre-delivery inspection, and you didnā€™t drive home a brand-new Bronco only to find out a few days later than you had to get it towed back due to a failure.
My first thought as well.

We've seen a few reports of bad turbos on the 2.3, usually failing within the first 100 miles. I consider it a good sign that dealers are catching this before delivery. Personally, I'd much rather wait a few days extra before pickup. Much better than picking it up, discovering the problem, taking it back, waiting for repairs, then picking it up again.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.