Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon, 22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Armadillo is now saying this is meant to be more semi-permanent due to its modular design and ability to remove roof panel, gull windows and back hatch door for an open-air safari feel. Also, this will save wear/tear on the gaskets vs their competitors. This may be an easier design to manage, with storing the panels, vs the entire rear clamshell etc of othersā€¦just depends what youā€™re after I guess.

There are a couple YouTube vids released in the last couple days. They answered a lot of this there.
This is EXACTLY what I was hoping. A hard top option that is "semi" permanent. If I could remove all 3 windows and a larger section of the roof there really isn't a point to take the entire clamshell off. Thank you for posting the youtube vids, I'm checking those out now.

Even just removing the rear windshield would be nice. I run with it open now on occasion and it just makes me feel a little uneasy.
Sponsored

4avor8ntfair

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL-non SAS, 2.3 auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have one on order. Iā€™m close enough (Houston) that I can drive out on a weekend to have them help me install it.
I ordered the stripped down square back version in black. Iā€™ve done ok this far without rear defrost and wiper, so I figured Iā€™d save $500, but I did get a passenger side gullwing window. Iā€™ll probably wait and get the insulation laterā€¦I couldnā€™t figure out if I liked any of them and didnā€™t want to finance that anyway.

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have one on order. Iā€™m close enough (Houston) that I can drive out on a weekend to have them help me install it.
I ordered the stripped down square back version in black. Iā€™ve done ok this far without rear defrost and wiper, so I figured Iā€™d save $500, but I did get a passenger side gullwing window. Iā€™ll probably wait and get the insulation laterā€¦I couldnā€™t figure out if I liked any of them and didnā€™t want to finance that anyway.
Will be watching to see how it turns out for you. I am interested in this, I rarely take my soft top down, I mean it's S. FL and I do not need a tan! I have not done so at night, but when I did have my F150, I used to run with the roof open. So I would not mind having the roof open, and the 3 windows out Safari style.

Some of the pics of the roof liner looked interesting, and good I would add. Still wondering what the noise would be like, because that is the only reason I am looking at an HT, to cut some noise when I travel because I have the light rack up top.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Iā€™ll probably wait and get the insulation laterā€¦I couldnā€™t figure out if I liked any of them and didnā€™t want to finance that anyway.
Interested to see how uninsulated aluminum painted black affects interior temps out in the middle of a Texas summer.

TheLawnDart

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser, Subaru Forrester, Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Interested to see how uninsulated aluminum painted black affects interior temps out in the middle of a Texas summer.
They are located in Texas and took it out to Moab and said they were pleasantly surprised with how well it insulated the truck. I mean the rest of the bronco is already aluminum so it canā€™t be that bad right?

Sponsored

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

They are located in Texas and took it out to Moab and said they were pleasantly surprised with how well it insulated the truck. I mean the rest of the bronco is already aluminum so it canā€™t be that bad right?
The rest of the Bronco isn't directly facing the sun, and there's either insulation or several things between the exterior and interior, such as panels and whatnot, you never actually touch the same surface that's exposed to sunlight. This is going to be a sheet of aluminum with nothing else added but black paint, and I'm very familiar with that situation...it's not pleasant at all. Find a black car that's been sitting outside in the sun and see how long you can hold your hand on it, the temperature on the inside surface of the top is going to be virtually identical to that, thanks to the high thermal conductivity of aluminum. A/C will help a lot in reducing the heat inside, but it's going to be putting in some overtime. Same goes for the winter as well, all your heat will go into the top like it's a giant chiller plate, fortunately with IC engines, heat is a readily accessible waste product.

My prediction is that this top is going to NEED insulation unless you just live somewhere that's unusually pleasant all the time. I've heard there are places in the world where A/C is an option that many people don't even bother to put in their cars, I would think this top would probably be fine without insulation in an area like that. It'd probably be fine if you have a RTT providing shade for the top as well. But that's all my own predictions based on what I've dealt with, which is why I'd like to see what John thinks of it when he gets it before jumping to conclusions.

TheLawnDart

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The rest of the Bronco isn't directly facing the sun, and there's either insulation or several things between the exterior and interior, such as panels and whatnot, you never actually touch the same surface that's exposed to sunlight. This is going to be a sheet of aluminum with nothing else added but black paint, and I'm very familiar with that situation...it's not pleasant at all. Find a black car that's been sitting outside in the sun and see how long you can hold your hand on it, the temperature on the inside surface of the top is going to be virtually identical to that, thanks to the high thermal conductivity of aluminum. A/C will help a lot in reducing the heat inside, but it's going to be putting in some overtime. Same goes for the winter as well, all your heat will go into the top like it's a giant chiller plate, fortunately with IC engines, heat is a readily accessible waste product.

My prediction is that this top is going to NEED insulation unless you just live somewhere that's unusually pleasant all the time. I've heard there are places in the world where A/C is an option that many people don't even bother to put in their cars, I would think this top would probably be fine without insulation in an area like that. It'd probably be fine if you have a RTT providing shade for the top as well. But that's all my own predictions based on what I've dealt with, which is why I'd like to see what John thinks of it when he gets it before jumping to conclusions.
That all makes sense to me! Iā€™m curious to know as well

LarryBirdsFace

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I wish they offered this with a flush panel version of the rear window and side windows. I love the idea, but hate that it looks like tank paneling.

Sandbergo

Outer Banks
First Name
Jelani & Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I would be willing to bet that they will make more accessories as demand grows, but figure they are limiting options a bit to not overload consumers. In my experience people get overloaded and it leads to decision paralysis. I wonder what it would lol like with the top piece flush. Would be cool to see if paint matched too, but I will say itā€™s nice to see options coming. Canā€™t wait to see the more squared off version on an actual Bronco.

TheLawnDart

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

If anyone hasnā€™t seen this, it looks like the hardtop holds up pretty well! They said in the comments the only price that needed to be replaced was one of the roof panels.

Sponsored

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If anyone hasnā€™t seen this, it looks like the hardtop holds up pretty well! They said in the comments the only price that needed to be replaced was one of the roof panels.
Ford did a great job designing the roll bars, I'm betting that had a lot to do with how well it held up. Have you seen the thread about the guy that got into a wreck and rolled his Bronco multiple times? His OEM hard top had some big scuff marks but it looked completely intact and serviceable. It was such an ironic contrast to hard tops getting cracks and whatnot just sitting out in the driveway.

TheLawnDart

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Ford did a great job designing the roll bars, I'm betting that had a lot to do with how well it held up. Have you seen the thread about the guy that got into a wreck and rolled his Bronco multiple times? His OEM hard top had some big scuff marks but it looked completely intact and serviceable. It was such an ironic contrast to hard tops getting cracks and whatnot just sitting out in the driveway.
I didnā€™t see that! The roll bars definitely did a great job doing just what they were design for. Iā€™m shocked how well it handled it. Is there some sort of inspection or process that has to take place on the toll bars after rolling a car like this other than just the TLAR method?

Sandbergo

Outer Banks
First Name
Jelani & Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

They are modifying the removable top panels and making them three pieces instead of two according to a YouTube chat with BroncBuster. Looks promising, def gonna have to save for one of these.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I didnā€™t see that! The roll bars definitely did a great job doing just what they were design for. Iā€™m shocked how well it handled it. Is there some sort of inspection or process that has to take place on the toll bars after rolling a car like this other than just the TLAR method?
Not that I know of, any kind of damage that might compromise structural integrity would be fairly easy to spot. There's quite a bit of boron steel and hardened steel that makes up the "roll cage" of a Bronco...it's not what I'd call a cage, but the body and bars together are intended to approximate one, and when they caged up the 4600 Broncos it was basically just reinforcing the existing bars with additional tubing. Everything between the bars and the frame is made of high strength steel, so while it's not tubed up and tied into the frame directly, it'll likely handle low speed rollovers without damage to the structure itself. Higher speed rollovers will most likely damage the structure but still protect occupants. If I were to make any kind of estimation about it based on what I've read and seen of it, I would place it somewhere between a simple bolt-in body mounted roll cage and one with additional frame tie-ins. I don't want to give anyone a false sense of security by thinking it's just as good as an actual tubed up cage, because it's not, but there aren't many factory vehicles that could handle a rollover like the Bronco can.

Follow this link and scroll down a bit to see what all the components are made of:
https://www.boronextrication.com/2023/01/05/cutting-up-a-2022-ford-bronco/

TheLawnDart

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Not that I know of, any kind of damage that might compromise structural integrity would be fairly easy to spot. There's quite a bit of boron steel and hardened steel that makes up the "roll cage" of a Bronco...it's not what I'd call a cage, but the body and bars together are intended to approximate one, and when they caged up the 4600 Broncos it was basically just reinforcing the existing bars with additional tubing. Everything between the bars and the frame is made of high strength steel, so while it's not tubed up and tied into the frame directly, it'll likely handle low speed rollovers without damage to the structure itself. Higher speed rollovers will most likely damage the structure but still protect occupants. If I were to make any kind of estimation about it based on what I've read and seen of it, I would place it somewhere between a simple bolt-in body mounted roll cage and one with additional frame tie-ins. I don't want to give anyone a false sense of security by thinking it's just as good as an actual tubed up cage, because it's not, but there aren't many factory vehicles that could handle a rollover like the Bronco can.

Follow this link and scroll down a bit to see what all the components are made of:
https://www.boronextrication.com/2023/01/05/cutting-up-a-2022-ford-bronco/
That article is both super tragic and super informative. Thank you for sharing!
Sponsored