First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wildtrax 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What are people doing for overlanding communications? I'm up in the air as to how to proceed and am actually thinking about having both.
Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I carry a tin can tied to a reeeeeeeeeally long string, attached to another tin can.

Nothing is more reliable… Nothing!

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A satellite messenger is your best bet. I received one as a gift and bring it off grid as a last resort if I’m going somewhere desolate. There is a fee, but you only have to pay for a month at a time when you’re going to use it. It’s a relatively cheap insurance to have.
The one I have is a Spot X, but there are many others.

GMRS also requires a license from the FCC to transmit anything over 2w, it’s only $35 for 10 years. I got mine cause why not?

edit; Im assuming you mean for an emergency, if you're talking convoy comms, then a GMRS handheld will work fine.

Last edited:

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

List out more of your criteria. You just says comms, you don't have say who you're communicating to.

Satellite comms are really nice, especially in a true emergency
HAM is flexible, and certain solutions can even fully cooperate with GMRS
GMRS is cheap and simple
weboost can make your cell signal a little stronger, but there still has to be signal

Sponsored
OP
OP
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wildtrax 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
List out more of your criteria. You just says comms, you don't have say who you're communicating to.

Satellite comms are really nice, especially in a true emergency
HAM is flexible, and certain solutions can even fully cooperate with GMRS
GMRS is cheap and simple
weboost can make your cell signal a little stronger, but there still has to be signal
All good questions and thank you as it gives me focus. I will be doing mostly day trips, Moab, Colorado mountains. It will be with groups. Used for group comms except there may be the need to communicate with the outside world. Two different applications - probably two different solutions.

I’m thinking GMRS for starters and judge cell coverage while out and about to see if something like a weBoost would even help. Fall back on cell is a Sat phone - expensive.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

All good questions and thank you as it gives me focus. I will be doing mostly day trips, Moab, Colorado mountains. It will be with groups. Used for group comms except there may be the need to communicate with the outside world. Two different applications - probably two different solutions.

I’m thinking GMRS for starters and judge cell coverage while out and about to see if something like a weBoost would even help. Fall back on cell is a Sat phone - expensive.
you can also look at Starlink "RV" setups, they have one that is a suction cup mount if your really want to cover internet, but a better emergency plan is a Garmin Inreach route.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
GMRS works very well for groups, but isn't really for emergencies. Part of what makes GMRS nice is the somewhat limited range (on low wattage channels) and the fact it's FM, so you aren't constantly getting blasted by people who are not in your group. There has been some talk of setting up an emergency channel on GMRS in western states, but AFAIK it really hasn't gotten much traction. Other solutions you mentioned would be better for emergency use IMO

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have both WeBoost and GMRS and would recommend satellite communication as well depending on where you spend a lot of your time. The WeBoost has it's limits, as you still need a signal. What I find is that it boosts the signal to get a call out when only text go out without it, or to maintain calls without dropping. It also helps to download email, etc. It won't do anything outside the cell area.
I spend a lot of time off the grid, so the Garmin Inreach comes in handy. It's nice to be mobile as I use it for hiking and flying as well.

Last edited:

jrollo7

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I carry a tin can tied to a reeeeeeeeeally long string, attached to another tin can.

Nothing is more reliable… Nothing!
The string is key.

Sponsored
OP
OP
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wildtrax 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Would twine work? Cotton or synthetic? What’s the best cup? I have big ears.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Would twine work? Cotton or synthetic? What’s the best cup? I have big ears.
I suggest fishing line and using a large McDonalds cup. The bigger the cup, the longer the range.

OP
OP
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wildtrax 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This insight is why I joined the forum.
Sponsored