Reaction score
Website
azbluey.com
Vehicle(s)
2.7L Badlands NS 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know there's those little adapters that have USB-B and C on them you just plug in... but I'd rather just replace that outlet with something like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Waterproof-Delivery-Voltmeter-Motorcycle/dp/B07NV9D61R/

EDIT: I’ve installed this and it wasn’t difficult at all; honestly the hardest part was getting old socket out.

Back of center console just pull and two top and two bottom tabs let go easily with no tools.
For me green wire was hot but double check with a voltage tester before you wire it up. Also there’s a tab underneath the backside of the old socket to let loose the wire adapter. The actual socket itself I sort of brute forced out forward into the console. Other one pushes in and screw locknut goes on back. Use a long skinny flathead to tighten it up.

Some pics of the install.
Ford Bronco Center Armrest Console - Replacing cig lighter w/ USB-C outlet IMG_1758

Ford Bronco Center Armrest Console - Replacing cig lighter w/ USB-C outlet IMG_1755

Ford Bronco Center Armrest Console - Replacing cig lighter w/ USB-C outlet IMG_1756

Ford Bronco Center Armrest Console - Replacing cig lighter w/ USB-C outlet IMG_1762
Sponsored

Last edited:

Medic2586

Big Bend
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Big Bend Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
if you get any hits on this, please post them...i am interested in this as well and if i find out anything, i'll post it

OP
OP
RynoRanger

RynoRanger

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Website
azbluey.com
Vehicle(s)
2.7L Badlands NS 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

if you get any hits on this, please post them...i am interested in this as well and if i find out anything, i'll post it
copy. appreciate that.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Not USB-C but there are others. I replaced the lighter socket on my Jeep with this one. Same diameter so I could swap it back in (which I never did).

Blue Sea Systems BelowDeck Panels, Dual USB Chargers, 12V Sockets and Mini OLED Monitors https://a.co/d/1IPX9pt

OP
OP
RynoRanger

RynoRanger

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Website
azbluey.com
Vehicle(s)
2.7L Badlands NS 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Finally got warm enough to give this a try without fear of breaking clips.
super easy. Pull back on the rear cover as described by fatrat.
no bolts or tools needed. Just slide the axle out and then reinstall the back cover.
Ford Bronco Center Armrest Console - Replacing cig lighter w/ USB-C outlet IMG_1762

pictured with axle nearly all the way removed and lit still in place.
Wish I had done this on day one. So much more enjoyable to go through the gears. And steer to the right!
Found this in another thread. SEEMS like that back part just "comes off"... and it looks to me like there's a plastic adapter for the 12v lighter... pop that out and have to splice some wiring to make it work but... hmm.
Also saw this image:
Ford Bronco Center Armrest Console - Replacing cig lighter w/ USB-C outlet Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 5.00.38 PM

Not sure if those two little screws / quick clips help hold that back part in but heads up on that.

It's about 900 degrees in my garage (live in Phoenix; like the 20th day over 115º) so I'm in no rush to get this done but. Doesn't seem TOO hard.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RynoRanger

RynoRanger

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Website
azbluey.com
Vehicle(s)
2.7L Badlands NS 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not USB-C but there are others. I replaced the lighter socket on my Jeep with this one. Same diameter so I could swap it back in (which I never did).
Thanks for that. If I'm going through all this trouble I'm putting USB-C in there haha.

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Found this in another thread. SEEMS like that back part just "comes off"... and it looks to me like there's a plastic adapter for the 12v lighter... pop that out and have to splice some wiring to make it work but... hmm.
Also saw this image:
Ford Bronco Center Armrest Console - Replacing cig lighter w/ USB-C outlet Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 5.00.38 PM

Not sure if those two little screws / quick clips help hold that back part in but heads up on that.

It's about 900 degrees in my garage (live in Phoenix; like the 20th day over 115º) so I'm in no rush to get this done but. Doesn't seem TOO hard.
You should be able to go the route up taking off the rear piece only to get to the harness on the back of the 12v socket. Not a lot of good shots of the area but check out the IAG rear cup holder install video as it shows taking that piece off and the back of the socket.

OP
OP
RynoRanger

RynoRanger

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Website
azbluey.com
Vehicle(s)
2.7L Badlands NS 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You should be able to go the route up taking off the rear piece only to get to the harness on the back of the 12v socket. Not a lot of good shots of the area but check out the IAG rear cup holder install video as it shows taking that piece off and the back of the socket.
oooh nice. so that's not hard to access it at all then. right on.

AND YOU KNOW WHAT.... this probably should be embarassing but... I had NO IDEA I had window buttons back there hahaha...wow. welp; good to know. Hopefully my 4yr old doesn't figure that out.

Cheers man, that video is helpful. Just need to splice those wires for the new socket. I need to check the fuse/voltage compared to the usb-b+usb-c socket that's below. Just don't what to draw too much power.

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

oooh nice. so that's not hard to access it at all then. right on.

AND YOU KNOW WHAT.... this probably should be embarassing but... I had NO IDEA I had window buttons back there hahaha...wow. welp; good to know. Hopefully my 4yr old doesn't figure that out.

Cheers man, that video is helpful. Just need to splice those wires for the new socket. I need to check the fuse/voltage compared to the usb-b+usb-c socket that's below. Just don't what to draw too much power.
LOL thats how I figured out I had window buttons back there (my youngest started playing with them). I now keep the window lock on at all times 😅

OP
OP
RynoRanger

RynoRanger

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Website
azbluey.com
Vehicle(s)
2.7L Badlands NS 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

#125 – 10A – USB smart charger 1
This one runs the center console USB adapter facing the back seat and probably the 120v plug (didn't test) but the USB charger was dead when I removed this one. I'm assuming that also means this controls that 12v lighter plug I'm looking to replace.

#139 – 5A – USB smart charger 2
I thought this would turn off the usb plug in front of my shifter under the hvac... but it did not. I don't have Lux and the USB up on top of dash by windshield soooooo I'm not really sure what this one does?

Anyway - getting this plug from Amazon - should be good on the 10A circuit.

FYI: I made a printable Fuse Panel reference guide for engine bay fuse box and body control module panel too, with fuse types. 5 pages if printed. Figured I'd just keep it in the truck for reference. https://docs.google.com/document/d/159swVRse95sBS3NX1ATmQUFh_K4tCzjuox0pXRrEPc8/

OP
OP
RynoRanger

RynoRanger

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Website
azbluey.com
Vehicle(s)
2.7L Badlands NS 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

UPDATE: I’ve finally got around to installing it. Updated OP (first/original post) with pictures of install.
Sponsored