Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ok, so my miss, but I want to plan to correct the fact that I didn’t get the lockers when I bought my flying brick. I don’t do a lot of 4 wheeling, but I do a fair amount of logging on my property in Montana. This will be a many year project due to a fixed budget. Some opinions and technical advice from the Bronco group would be appreciated.

First, I want to stay close to OEM parts and don’t need this for the gear upgrades. I am thinking the base lockers from Ford. Can I just do the rear axle without doing the front at the same time?

I am also going to order the full wiring harness for the dash buttons for OEM functionality.
Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
From my understanding, if you do a drop in locker axle assembly from Ford, you would at minimum also need to re gear the front end to match the ratio.

If you didn't want to tear open the front end, you could just do an air locker or eaton e locker and then would need a new 3.73 ring gear set to complete the install

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, the lockers are independent of each other & will replace the differentials. All you will need is a switchable 12v to turn them on & off for electric lockers. I prefer the electric over an air locker like the Already Broken (ARB) because they tend to be more reliable

OP
OP
Bellime

Bellime

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I am reading that the base OEM rear lockers are 4.27 ratio, but I don’t see any reference to the front.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Reactions: LCW

Sponsored

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If I am correct ford recently released the full axel as well as the wiring needed to add the switch. Multiple different gearing options as well.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-4000-446B
Yeah it is all up there. Honestly makes for a pretty straight forward upgrade.

Would need to match the front gearing still and also need to purchase the recalibration tool.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am reading that the base OEM rear lockers are 4.27 ratio, but I don’t see any reference to the front.
The front and rear axle ratio have to match.

Factory options:
  • 4.27 w/ rear locker
    • Optional on Big Bend & Outer Banks with the automatic transmission
  • 4.46 w/ rear locker
    • Standard on Black Diamond
    • Optional on Big Bend & Outer Banks on the manual transmission
  • 4.46 w/ front & rear locker
    • Standard on Badlands with the automatic transmission
  • 4.70 w/ front & rear locker
    • Standard on Badlands with the manual transmission
    • Standard with the Sasquatch package
And Ford Performance options:
  • 4.88 w/ front & rear locker
  • 5.13 w/ front & rear locker
  • 5.38 w/ front & rear locker

OP
OP
Bellime

Bellime

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Can’t I get the base 4.27 rear locking axle from Ford instead of the upgrade 4.46?

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Unless you have the OBX with the 3.7 ratio, you can just buy the rear end that matches your existing ratio with a locker.

The ford options @RagnarKon listed are your best bet - unless you can find an acceptable takeoff. It will replace your entire rear end and are all you really need.

You can wire it up to an upfitter (either oem switches or aftermarket ones) to activate. Goat modes won’t automatically activate it, but imo that’s ok because you rarely want lockers engaging without your specific intent anyway.

If you do not change the ratio - there is nothing to reprogram or adjust in the computers.

If you want to upgrade your ratio to something lower geared (higher ratio) at the same time, or you have the 3.7, then you would also have to do the front. The front would also will require new separate axles (the rear end will include everything you need apart from a switch)

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok, so my miss, but I want to plan to correct the fact that I didn’t get the lockers when I bought my flying brick. I don’t do a lot of 4 wheeling, but I do a fair amount of logging on my property in Montana. This will be a many year project due to a fixed budget. Some opinions and technical advice from the Bronco group would be appreciated.

First, I want to stay close to OEM parts and don’t need this for the gear upgrades. I am thinking the base lockers from Ford. Can I just do the rear axle without doing the front at the same time?

I am also going to order the full wiring harness for the dash buttons for OEM functionality.
Are you dragging the logs out with the Bronco or just getting to the cutting areas?

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can’t I get the base 4.27 rear locking axle from Ford instead of the upgrade 4.46?
There are two upgrade paths depending on your transmission.

Manual Transmission

You simply need to buy a 4.46 rear locking axle and the associated wiring kit.

Automatic Transmission

If you currently have no locking axle, that means you have a 3.73 axle ratio. So you will need to replace BOTH the rear axle and the front drive unit. Since you'll have to replace the front drive unit anyway, it makes sense to just re-gear to 4.46 and add a front locker as well.

Parts:

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Pretty sure ya can buy a e-locker for the rear that will work with your gear ratio…maybe not from ford…give Yukon a call…but I would go for lower gears, the lower the better, if in there anyway…

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

When you upgrade the Non-Sas OBX to a rear locker, yes, it becomes a 4.27 rear end. The front gearing would have to match OEM. I did that.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

Have you had problems getting the logging done without a locker? I wouldn't waste money adding a locker unless legit you can't get the job done without it, especially since you mentioned not doing much off-roading.

And I only recommend front/rear e-lockers if you are needing to get to Costco like the Sas owners in my neighborhood. ;)
Sponsored