Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here is the info to submit this to NHTSA - If you have experienced this issue, please take a moment to submit the issue to them so we can get it fixed. I will even share the text of the issue here so you can just copy and paste it. You DO need your VIN number though to submit an issue to them.

Web link: https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#vehicle

My text:

My 2023 Ford Bronco has these "Advanced" wipers that automatically stop wiping when they think the windshield is dry or think the wiper motor may be damaged. When driving in heavy rain and you put the wipers on High (or even Low), they automatically switch to Intermittent after about 1 minute. They actually stop wiping at a high speed and pause between wipes for several seconds. In order to keep the wipers going in heavy, blinding rain you have to keep switching the wipers from Low to High to keep them moving. This is a safety hazard since you honestly cannot see though the windshield during heavy rain. I have spoken to many Bronco owners and seen thread on online message boards that everyone has the same issue. After reading the Manual it appears this is a "feature" of the new Ford Bronco. This is a major safety issue and Ford should be required to fix the wiper motor on these vehicles. The issue happens on all of the model years - 2021 - 2023.
Sponsored

Snappy22

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Pilot, 2022 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Itā€™s gotta be package dependent. My black diamond mid has tried and true wipers. Non sensing.

Strykerwsu

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holden Commodores
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Enough have had the issue over the 1st 2 years that it definitely is an issue. Hasn't happened on ours but unfortunately we've had only about 5 days of rain in the last year šŸ˜©.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
This seriously can't be an issue, I've been told that Ford engineers have developed a starter that can handle 10 fold the normal duty life, no way did they the same brain trust, think this was a good idea.

Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My Badlands Bronco has these "Advanced" wipers that automatically stop wiping when they think the windshield is dry or think the prescious wiper motor may be damaged. I was driving this weekend in heavy rain, and when I put the wipers in High they automatically switched to Intermittent after like 1 minute. The rain was blinding so I had to keep switching from Low to High to keep them moving. After reading the Manual and a couple other threads in this, it appears this is a FEATURE. WTF - this is dangerous! Anyone else experiencing this? Another member suggested submitting this to NTSB and I agree. What do you guys think? For the quote from the manual, see the attachment.

BTW I love my Bronco and I am not one of the complainers. This thing is fantastic but the wipers are going to cause an accident. @Ford Motor Company

Screenshot_20230122-200411.png
This is why I turn this feature off on a our vehicles. I think maybe the motor was overheating as the owner manual suggests.

GatesHarris

Base
First Name
Gates
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TACOMA 4X4 Porsche Macan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Does this in my Base Sasquatch.

Test this way: Turn on wipers full speed with hose spraying on windshield.

After about 30 seconds, wipers stop and go to very slow intermittent.

Very repeatable.

Took video to dealer and they refused to look at video and told me the wipers were "smart" ( and, without saying so, maybe I wasn't).

Startled me the first time it happened in a hard rain.

Now, I just know its going to happen and mentally prepare for the "smart" wipers to stop working after almost exactly 30 seconds, each and every time I turn them on.

Amazing.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This has happened to me as well. Only one time. It is certainly a bad distraction in bad weather conditions, where you need to concentrate on the road, vs. Effing around w/the wiper switch! Whoever came up w/this idea...well I will keep it clean at this point!

Grant3168

Black Diamond
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 G37, 2006 G35
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Same exact issue and I've posted on here before talking about it on different threads. 23 Black Diamond with mid package, built in Dec 2022. After 20-30 seconds, they slow down every single time. The wipers move incredibly slow up and down the windshield. Its a huge PITA and DANGEROUS and I truly wish there was a fix. Dealership 'couldn't replicate the issue' after holding it for 7 days... Ford corp reached out to me on the forums and did little to know help "checking in on things on their end" they just told me to schedule an appointment at the dealership and hung up the phone. I have no other major issues to speak of and love my Bronco. I never though an offroad vehicle would be so scared of water.

Sponsored

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Someoneā€™s gonna die and their family sue Ford before this will get fixed.

When that day comes - these threads will be ā€œEXHIBIT Aā€ at the trial.

Last edited:

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Technology isnā€™t always a good thing, just look at AI. We are all capable of turning a knob to control our wipers.

ilostmydrink

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Same exact issue and I've posted on here before talking about it on different threads. 23 Black Diamond with mid package, built in Dec 2022. After 20-30 seconds, they slow down every single time. The wipers move incredibly slow up and down the windshield. Its a huge PITA and DANGEROUS and I truly wish there was a fix. Dealership 'couldn't replicate the issue' after holding it for 7 days... Ford corp reached out to me on the forums and did little to know help "checking in on things on their end" they just told me to schedule an appointment at the dealership and hung up the phone. I have no other major issues to speak of and love my Bronco. I never though an offroad vehicle would be so scared of water.
I can't find the thread right now but another user has posted the wiper arm spring tension may be at fault. Their suggestion was to leave the arms folded out overnight for a week to help stretch the spring and that it yielded positive results.

My bronco also suffers from this issue so I'll be trying the method.

Grant3168

Black Diamond
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 G37, 2006 G35
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I can't find the thread right now but another user has posted the wiper arm spring tension may be at fault. Their suggestion was to leave the arms folded out overnight for a week to help stretch the spring and that it yielded positive results.

My bronco also suffers from this issue so I'll be trying the method.
Iā€™ll give this a shot! Thank you. Do you mean having them extended off the windshield or do you mean activating the wipers and having them stop at the highest position on the windshield?

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Iā€™ll give this a shot! Thank you. Do you mean having them extended off the windshield or do you mean activating the wipers and having them stop at the highest position on the windshield?
Just lift the wiper arms up with the vehicle off and leave them like that over night.
Sponsored