First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Black Diamond, '06 Scion xB, '61 Impala
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Gang. Just took delivery of my '23 Iconic Silver Black Diamond last week. First off, I FREAKIN' LOVE IT! First vehicle I look back at when walking away from!

Second day of ownership, I walk by the front of it in my garage and noticed a very faint dark patch on the front of the hood (about the size of a hand). I get to looking more and there's actually two faint dark patches. My garage has led lighting, btw. After studying the patches, it looks more like where the metal flake didn't "sit" in the same direction as the surrounding coat. It could also be that not enough silver base was not used. Or it could simply be an overlap of metal flake.... but regardless, it catches my eye every time I walk by it now.

I sent my dealer a text right away and asked if they could direct me to a customer service number or email so I can at least make my issue known. Of course I was told, "We I wiped the hood of rail dust for you, that must be it"... Well, actually no, it's not rail dust.

I'm a novice auto painter (novice at best, lol) and would at least like a case opened up. Am I nuts? I understand this isn't a show car and is an assembly line paint job, but I'd actually like a uniformly painted hood. The rest of the truck is darn near perfect with no flake splothes: I had time to evaluate it during applying graphine coating 3 days ago.

Thoughts? Should I just shut up and enjoy? Should I have it evaluated at my local dealer?

Terrible pic, I know. You can pick the faint dark spot out easier with a video.

Ford Bronco Splotchy Paint - Iconic Silver - Anyone Else paint defect
(different than my purchasing dealer)
Sponsored

Mzekew

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not exactly the same issue with my 21 in Iconic Silver, but I did have a paint issue. The dealer pointed it out to me immediately upon delivery. Warranty claim was no issue, and they gave me an F-150 loaner for the few days it took to fix.

Mine was runny clear coat on the tailgate, btw. Iā€™ve seen it on others, as well. It did take a few months to get me scheduled at the body shop for the new paint, but not a big deal since it was purely cosmetic.

i donā€™t think youā€™re being unreasonable by wanting a uniform paint job.

myrealname123

Badlands
First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Like you said, can't tell from the picture, but I hope you get it fixed to your satisfaction. Haven't had any paint issues with mine, it just looks so damn good out in the sun!

OP
OP
TCB-1

TCB-1

Black Diamond
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Like you said, can't tell from the picture, but I hope you get it fixed to your satisfaction. Haven't had any paint issues with mine, it just looks so damn good out in the sun!
Yep, that's the thing. I can't capture it really well with a pic, but it's there. More noticeable when you aren't looking right at it. Weird, I know.

But you are so right! Jumps jumps off the map in sunlight!

MNBronc

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

IMO you need to live with it. I would not trust a dealer to make that better. It is hard to blend and match silver paint.
There are people who could do a great job fixing that- do they work at your dealer?- probably not.

Sponsored

zyglyrox

Base
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 BaseSAS / ā€˜21 Bronco Sport BB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Iā€™d be taking that to whatever closest ford authorized paint shop near you. Thatā€™s unacceptable on a brand new car. I can pretty clearly see the shade difference.

Rootdog

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My 22ā€™ Iconic Silver has the same issue. It has a couple spots that catch my eye. Paint seems thin and irregular but I just learned to live with it. No one else seems to notice and Iā€™m pretty sure the dealer will only make it worse if they attempted to blend it.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had similar issue on my rear driver door - they repainted it as well as the quarter. Quarter clear coat ended up peeling a year later. They took it back in and had a new employee they were excited about - looks great now. But, if I was to start over - Iā€™d likely have left it factory. Itā€™s only noticeable in certain light and I recently found another splotch 2 years later. Iā€™m less concerned now - but being that it was the first new vehicle I ever bought, for more money I had ever spent - I wanted it perfect. But, after a few trails and scratches and dents. You care less.

BigBlue7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Black Diamond Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nothing on mine. Build in early August

Dunning Kruger

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4D OBX 2.7L Bronco, 2015 Audi A7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'd have Ford fix it.

Paint jobs can be matched. Doing so is not rocket surgery. Had a Q5 about four years ago with a bad hood. It was fixed and no one will ever know the difference.

Sponsored
OP
OP
TCB-1

TCB-1

Black Diamond
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I appreciate all the responses, it helps me put things into perspective.

I think I am going to explore filing a claim with Ford. I have one question though. The dealer I bought my rig from is 4 hours away in a smallish town. (The only dealer I could find at the time that had an allocation for a 2 door). Anyway, I live in a larger town with over 15 Ford dealers within 30 miles from me and would rather not drive back to my original dealer just to hope they agree with it being a defect. So can I take my rig to any of my local dealers for warranty filing, or do I have to go back to my "selling" dealership.

Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I've never had a possible defect claim right out of the gate with any of my previous vehicles.

Thanks again gang! I always appreciate your expertise!

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'd have Ford fix it.

Paint jobs can be matched. Doing so is not rocket surgery. Had a Q5 about four years ago with a bad hood. It was fixed and no one will ever know the difference.
Thing is - depends on the dealerā€™s body shop. If you could source your own and get reimbursed - that would be the best scenario. But, you know ford ainā€™t on board with that.

n8dogg2000g

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Jeep CJ5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Gang. Just took delivery of my '23 Iconic Silver Black Diamond last week. First off, I FREAKIN' LOVE IT! First vehicle I look back at when walking away from!

Second day of ownership, I walk by the front of it in my garage and noticed a very faint dark patch on the front of the hood (about the size of a hand). I get to looking more and there's actually two faint dark patches. My garage has led lighting, btw. After studying the patches, it looks more like where the metal flake didn't "sit" in the same direction as the surrounding coat. It could also be that not enough silver base was not used. Or it could simply be an overlap of metal flake.... but regardless, it catches my eye every time I walk by it now.

I sent my dealer a text right away and asked if they could direct me to a customer service number or email so I can at least make my issue known. Of course I was told, "We I wiped the hood of rail dust for you, that must be it"... Well, actually no, it's not rail dust.

I'm a novice auto painter (novice at best, lol) and would at least like a case opened up. Am I nuts? I understand this isn't a show car and is an assembly line paint job, but I'd actually like a uniformly painted hood. The rest of the truck is darn near perfect with no flake splothes: I had time to evaluate it during applying graphine coating 3 days ago.

Thoughts? Should I just shut up and enjoy? Should I have it evaluated at my local dealer?

Terrible pic, I know. You can pick the faint dark spot out easier with a video.

Ford Bronco Splotchy Paint - Iconic Silver - Anyone Else paint defect
(different than my purchasing dealer)
I noticed some inconsistencies with the pint on my doors when I picked mine up but thought (hoped) that it probably just need a good wash. Still there after washing. Iā€™ve had bad experiences with dealers fixing paint before and the factory paint should be more durable so
I am planning to live with it. Good luck and keep me posted on what you find and if you are able to get yours fixed!!

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That could be where the dealership body shop repaired a hood that was damaged/scratched in transport. That might be the best they can do,lol.
Sponsored