T-Boned! Is it totaled? Too soon to tell... :(

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Got my new OBX in early November and got t-boned last Thursday by a driver who ran a red light. It's up on the rack at the repair shop now to determine how bad it is. Not sure if I want it totaled or not! Stay safe out there...

IMG_2950.jpeg
Same thing happened to me. Delivey 10/28, T-boned by a Sacramento city bus 12/7 so don't feel too bad/unlucky/idiotic. Frame is straight and it should be ready late January. Parts holdup on the contact side steelies (of all things) and possibly bumper

State Farm did not total this, and it's app. $12,000 damage (estimated). I think you are good. Seems like only the knuckle was broken, so I'm pretty impresed. Don't think my Outback would have survived.
Ford Bronco T-Boned! Is it totaled?  Too soon to tell...  :( tempImageQcgoQy
Sponsored

Last edited:

TomH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the additional photos. Most of that damage wasn’t very visible in the initial photo. I’d say it held up pretty well, considering. I’m pretty sure those rocker panels are made from a very high-strength alloy steel, so I’ve never personally been worried about having the rock rails attached to the body instead of the frame, and these photos only reinforce that opinion.

I still bet the insurance company totals it once they start checking out replacement parts availability and pricing. It will be interesting to learn their final decision.

What is the typical loss threshold as a percentage of actual cash value before an insurance company totals a vehicle? Maybe some insurance guys/gals will chime in?
Insurers look at actual cash value of the vehicle v. Damages, then somehow factor in salvage value. Loosely figure that if the damages are +/- 80% of the value of the vehicle, it would be totaled. Be careful about buying back salvage vehicles. Check with the state DMV. In CT, if a car is totaled and you bought it back from the insurance company, prior to re-registering it, it needs to be towed to the DMV for a vehicle inspection, then towed back home. Yes re registering it. The insurance company will take the title and retitle it, then sell it back to you with a salvaged title from the state. Then you’ll get a new title stamped “salvage.” Forget any resale value in the future. If they total it, let it go. Unless there is frame damage, I doubt it gets totaled. If the damages are $17,000, it won’t be totaled and you get to keep your Bronco.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

OP, sorry about your accident.

For the multitude of morons, that think a red light means it's time to speed up, I hope that when, not if, this happens to you, your recovery time will be used wisely to study up on the meaning and purpose of red lights.

omg_bbq

Black Diamond
First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 EG BD SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Oh shit, I know exactly where that is! I lived in Mill Valley for 7 years and in general, Marin for 10. So sorry to see your new bronc like that. Hope to see you back out on the road soon.

TomH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would make sure you assert a claim for diminution of value. As a third party, you should be compensated for the reduced value post repair (this is not typically true of first party claims against your own insurance, depending on state and policy language). If it is a total, you should have an option of retaining the salvage and repairing it yourself as well. Bids will be very high and it might not make sense, but it’s likely worth evaluating. Jeeps are really good salvage vehicles to buy because they are relatively simple and inexpensive to repair (as the Bronco should be once parts and suppliers are out of this pandemic alternate universe).
Excellent suggestion. Yes absolutely! In CT, you can make a claim for diminished value. Not sure if all states allow it. There are companies that do nothing but evaluate diminished value.

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would make sure you assert a claim for diminution of value. As a third party, you should be compensated for the reduced value post repair (this is not typically true of first party claims against your own insurance, depending on state and policy language). If it is a total, you should have an option of retaining the salvage and repairing it yourself as well. Bids will be very high and it might not make sense, but it’s likely worth evaluating. Jeeps are really good salvage vehicles to buy because they are relatively simple and inexpensive to repair (as the Bronco should be once parts and suppliers are out of this pandemic alternate universe).
A real question that needs to be asked is whether the state of California recognizes diminished value claims.

Edit: Matthew, you beat me to it.
Excellent suggestion. Yes absolutely! In CT, you can make a claim for diminished value. Not sure if all states allow it. There are companies that do nothing but evaluate diminished value.
Interesting. Can you guys provide some hypothetical examples of how a diminished value claim might impact the insurance company’s decision to either pay to fix or simply total the vehicle?

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Insurers look at actual cash value of the vehicle v. Damages, then somehow factor in salvage value. Loosely figure that if the damages are +/- 80% of the value of the vehicle, it would be totaled. Be careful about buying back salvage vehicles. Check with the state DMV. In CT, if a car is totaled and you bought it back from the insurance company, prior to re-registering it, it needs to be towed to the DMV for a vehicle inspection, then towed back home. Yes re registering it. The insurance company will take the title and retitle it, then sell it back to you with a salvaged title from the state. Then you’ll get a new title stamped “salvage.” Forget any resale value in the future. If they total it, let it go. Unless there is frame damage, I doubt it gets totaled. If the damages are $17,000, it won’t be totaled and you get to keep your Bronco.
Must depend on the state. Mine was drivable so I actually drove for quite a while but had to get it fixed before I could renew the plates. In WI, the State Patrol had to inspect it. Just needed to be a place it could be put on a lift. They were really good about it. Gave me a complete run down on what had to be working to pass before I brought it to a local gas station (you old folks out there remember when gas stations used to repair cars before they became grocery stores). In any case, I agree that you should check before you buy but that was a real money saver for me. My daughter and I drove it until it had to be towed away a dozen years or more later. I think the scrap yard paid me more than I paid the insurance company for it.

TomH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Must depend on the state. Mine was drivable so I actually drove for quite a while but had to get it fixed before I could renew the plates. In WI, the State Patrol had to inspect it. Just needed to be a place it could be put on a lift. They were really good about it. Gave me a complete run down on what had to be working to pass before I brought it to a local gas station (you old folks out there remember when gas stations used to repair cars before they became grocery stores). In any case, I agree that you should check before you buy but that was a real money saver for me. My daughter and I drove it until it had to be towed away a dozen years or more later. I think the scrap yard paid me more than I paid the insurance company for it.
Definitely state specific. CT DMV is a ball buster.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Definitely state specific. CT DMV is a ball buster.
I’m guessing CA will be a ball buster too! Perhaps if this was an EV there would be an exception.

Chopper67

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Got my new OBX in early November and got t-boned last Thursday by a driver who ran a red light. It's up on the rack at the repair shop now to determine how bad it is. Not sure if I want it totaled or not! Stay safe out there...

Very sorry this happened to you. Glad you are OK

Thanks for posting this too. I have to say that it looks like your Bronco took the hit beautifully. As a former JK Wrangler owner, a side impact was my biggest fear…. Not so here.

Be well, and I wish you a speedy resolution!

Sponsored

DFNMAN

Base
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' 2dr, 15' M3, 07' FJ, 03' M3, 79' 928
Your Bronco Model
Base
They may total based on parts availability alone.

Big L 65

Outer Banks
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Was hit fairly squarely in the front passenger door, but am assuming she pulled to the right just prior to impact. Obviously all hard to tell.

Yeah, very curious to see what next steps look like. Original estimate was $17,000 just based on visual inspection. It's up on the rack today while they get a better assessment. We shall see...

I’m glad you ok this sucks hope not totaled.

oh what size tires are those like the rugged look

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting. Can you guys provide some hypothetical examples of how a diminished value claim might impact the insurance company’s decision to either pay to fix or simply total the vehicle?
Hard to say, but there is generally a formula they will apply . In some states the total loss vs. repair is a set formula, in others there is more room for negotiation or subjective evaluation. Any good appraiser can do a diminished value evaluation.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hard to say, but there is generally a formula they will apply . In some states the total loss vs. repair is a set formula, in others there is more room for negotiation or subjective evaluation. Any good appraiser can do a diminished value evaluation.
I understand. I’m not interested in accuracy. I’m trying to understand conceptually how a hypothetical damage situation where diminished value is factored into the evaluation could affect the insurance company’s decision to either repair or total.

For example, if a, b, and c occurred, and the repair cost is x, the diminished value is y, and the actual cash value is z, then it would likely be repaired/(totaled).

budfleck

Badlands
First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2024 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I understand. I’m not interested in accuracy. I’m trying to understand conceptually how a hypothetical damage situation where diminished value is factored into the evaluation could affect the insurance company’s decision to either repair or total.

For example, if a, b, and c occurred, and the repair cost is x, the diminished value is y, and the actual cash value is z, then it would likely be repaired/(totaled).
Another thing they would have to consider is the X factor, the availability of replacement parts. How long it would take to get the doors and fender and whatever else needed that we can't see needed to fix it. Think about paying a year or more worth of a rental while the owner waits for his vehicle to be repaired.
Sponsored