First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Medic2586, I just got my 22 Badlands Sasquatch 2.3L with 32k miles back after a six weeks with a new long block, turbo and alternator. The short story is the oil pump failed setting off a chain of events. Dealer fixed it, all under warranty. Luckily we’re retired and have a second vehicle, but being w/o the bronco for six weeks was an inconvenience.

The 2.3 has a reputation as a good engine, but every now and then stuff happens. They fixed it and we’re ready to go forward. I think it’s a bit quieter and runs stronger than the original. A forum like this has some very knowledgeable members, but it tends to inordinately attract those who are complaining about something. It’s certainly no place to to make measured statistical judgements about anything.

Enjoy your Bronco and don’t worry. I’m old and plan on keeping mine for many many years.
Sponsored

Lil Mul

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2DR Badlands SAS / 2016 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Welcome to the 21st century.
The days of simple NA V8's and inline 6's that last forever are dead and gone.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I haven't heard anything bad about the 2.3. Yes the 2.7 is known to have issues especially with the cam phasers giving up after 15k miles but if anything the 2.3 is known to be more reliable than the 2.7 so I really wouldn't stress about it or let it ruin your Bronco experience
Don't tell my 90k mile 2.7 that it is supposed to be bad already!

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Many reports, the best reports, everyone knows these reports. Some say the 2.3 is the worst engine that was the best when i had it, but the worst when anyone else had one. Believe me. Some of those 2.3's, you can just grab 'em by the oil pan.
Gonna be hard to trump this comment. Well done!

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'10 Escape, '16 Explorer, '22 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Let's say it like it is. A service bulletin has been out on the 2.3 MT for rattling/grinding sound below 40 degrees on start and particularly in neutral, and more than a few on this forum have had the 5th and 6th gear synchros replaced under warranty or the entire trans replaced under warranty with varying degrees of success. Fixed the prob for some, not for others. No, the 2.3 MT trans is not blowing up, but the point the OP made is what to expect down the road? For this documented issue I mentioned, I can see how some would have cause for concern. Concerns me with my 2.3 MT that rattles when cold.

Sponsored

Teke

Base
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

People make posts when they have issues. Nobody makes posts when their stuff works as intended.

Bryan1995

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford haters are always saying bad stuff about Bronco because every time they look at one in the street they stare at it and they really like it or even they take a picture but at the end of the day they say Broncos, don't worry about the engines. I did have a mustang with the 2.3 L and I drove almost 60,000 miles without a single problem in 3 days work commute, still no problems on carfax sold to get a gt ran that for 17k then got the bronco and I have a 2.7 on my F150 and I ran on for about 120,000 with zero issues and still going and I think Broncos are no exceptions

Bryan1995

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you maintain the engine on properly oil changes and check ups on every milestone for example every 10,000 miles you're not going to have any problems. Do not pay attention on some people that they don't pay attention on some stuff on the engine or they just run without paying attention of small details, every car has some problems. Even Toyotas with the best engines like 4runners can get into problems easy. Depends on the driver and maintenance.

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My son is a mechanic in an independent shop and says he’s never had to work on a 2.3 ecoboost. The engine he repairs the most is the 3.6 Jeep V6.
That's because the FCA wizard is in constant operation...

Ford Bronco Worried about the Bronco Engines now…. Wizard

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
After seeing so many reports of bad 2.3 and the v6 engines on til too and other forums, I am truly beginning to worry. I have a 2.3 BigBend that I love which I have had for 17 months now and only 6500 miles. No issues thus far but everyone is saying 12 to 15k and these engines are knocking, locking up. Just worried after pay over 50k + crazy financing.
Internet amplification reverberates bad news 2.35 billion times faster than good news.

Keep your oil change interval reasonable, use a high quality oil, oil filter, and air filter and you will be good to go for many miles.

Sponsored

Bronco Snow Dog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150, 2009 GT500, 2018 POS Forester
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Comments closed for fake news thread.

OP
OP
Medic2586

Medic2586

Big Bend
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Big Bend Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
@Medic2586, I just got my 22 Badlands Sasquatch 2.3L with 32k miles back after a six weeks with a new long block, turbo and alternator. The short story is the oil pump failed setting off a chain of events. Dealer fixed it, all under warranty. Luckily we’re retired and have a second vehicle, but being w/o the bronco for six weeks was an inconvenience.

The 2.3 has a reputation as a good engine, but every now and then stuff happens. They fixed it and we’re ready to go forward. I think it’s a bit quieter and runs stronger than the original. A forum like this has some very knowledgeable members, but it tends to inordinately attract those who are complaining about something. It’s certainly no place to to make measured statistical judgements about anything.

Enjoy your Bronco and don’t worry. I’m old and plan on keeping mine for many many years.
I'm not really worried.... just saw several post somewhere elsewhere, began to wonder and wanted to get some feedback as it were. Some people seemed to want to bash me but hey, fine, I am 62, retired from EMS and have been driving Ford's all my life, getting ragged on about my "found on road dead" but that's all good.. just read a post about Chevy engines having issues. Big things is, they will ALL have issues sometimes. Like someone in an earlier post said, you take care of them and they'll take care of you. I will continue to drive my Bronco, where and when I want. Like you, I have other vehicles to choose from. I posted earlier, my 2006 F150 with the 5.4-3V is still rolling and it has been rode hard sometimes cause I am a driver, not a cruiser.... My wifes 15 Taurus has 178K and only had to put a water pump in it at 150K. Still a great car ..... I'm good with all the comments...that's why I started this thread...to get people talking...thanks

OP
OP
Medic2586

Medic2586

Big Bend
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Big Bend Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Internet amplification reverberates bad news 2.35 billion times faster than good news.

Keep your oil change interval reasonable, use a high quality oil, oil filter, and air filter and you will be good to go for many miles.

I service my own vehicles not because I have to but I like to.... and service is the key....
I use mobil 1 synthetic in my Fords, Motorcraft filters. except the Brono, I still use the Ford Synthetic blend it calls for for now.....anywhere between 4000-5000 miles, no more

Gregus73

Heritage
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Silverado 2500 HC, 2023 Bronco Heritage, WRX
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I am hoping that all of the gremlins are out by now. I found that the V6 in my past Jeep was incredibly reliable, where the Jeep turbo 4 was a clown show and riddled with electrical issues. I cannot speak for everyone, but had lots of problems with my past 4cyl Jeep, other folks have had quite the opposite experience.

Just sticking on the maintenance schedule and hoping for no issues to arise. Have the extended warranty just in case.

Last edited:

ADK23

Outer Banks
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2 Dr
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
After seeing so many reports of bad 2.3 and the v6 engines on til too and other forums, I am truly beginning to worry. I have a 2.3 BigBend that I love which I have had for 17 months now and only 6500 miles. No issues thus far but everyone is saying 12 to 15k and these engines are knocking, locking up. Just worried after pay over 50k + crazy financing.
I wouldn’t worry at all, both of these Ford engines are work horses! The valve issues were immediately fixed on those first run models with the V6. I’ve had my V6 Bronco for just about a year now and it’s been absolutely bulletproof . It’s been a pleasure having a car with zero issues the first year of ownership.
Sponsored