Sponsored

My Tire Journey with a 2dr Black Diamond SAS (3 sets of tires in 3 months)

IGOAT2drBD

Everglades
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

I was fortunate enough to get my Bronco back in October and I love it. Black diamond 2dr with the 2.3L engine. I love everything about this Bronco. I have 2 kids and we've already road-tripped to Florida from Michigan in it. Totally worth it to be able to take the top off and cruise around the beach towns of southern Florida.

I wanted to share my experiences and choices with tires. I have now had 3 different sets on my Bronco. I started with the factory Goodyears that come with the sasquatch package, 315/70/17. Overall I really like the look and the performance of the sas wheels and tires, I plan to use those in the Michigan summers and any time I want to actually go off-road intentionally. BUT for a couple of reasons, I planned to not ride with those tires/wheels all the time. First I was concerned about tread life on the larger more expensive tire. I drive my Bronco as a daily driver and put a lot of miles on it.

My second concern was winter driving. My brother-in-law is the huge gear head and works for Ford as an engineer. Grated not on the Bronco but still someone I trust and take advice from on all things automotive. The story he told me in that Ford was dead set on a mud terrain tire for the sas package, but that the tires they were using for their internal testing were not passing the snow/ice test so they had to ask Goodyear to modify the tire to pass the tests, well those changes made the tires not a true mud terrain tire, so the MT on the SAS tires actually stands for Maximum Traction, not Mud Terrain. NO idea if it's true or not, but the idea was that he was worried how well the SAS MT's would do in the Michigan winters.

Factory Wheels and Tires
Ford Bronco My Tire Journey with a 2dr Black Diamond SAS (3 sets of tires in 3 months) PXL_20211017_194529116
Ford Bronco My Tire Journey with a 2dr Black Diamond SAS (3 sets of tires in 3 months) PXL_20211107_204340681

My first attempt to solve my "problems" was buying a set of take-off wheels from a Bronco Big Bend that someone at my dealer switched out. I know a guy so I got them cheap for a set of wheels and tires, they came with the 17" wheels that are not unattractive along with a 255/75/17 Dueller A/T tire. I was hoping to use these in the winter to maybe increase my fuel efficiency and keep the wear and tear off my SAS tires. These are the tires I used to drive to FL. I was happy with my slightly increased fuel economy vs normal commute highway driving. BUT they left me feeling neutered...

Factory BB Wheels and Tires
Ford Bronco My Tire Journey with a 2dr Black Diamond SAS (3 sets of tires in 3 months) PXL_20211219_161147470 (1)

Final Solution: after I got home I decided between the looks and the questionable snow/winter rating on the Duellers I wanted something else for my winter tires. So I ordered a set of 285/70/17 KO2's mounted on the factory BB wheels I have. I love these, they look great! They are so far slightly more fuel-efficient than the SAS tires while also being one of the most highly rated A/T tires I could find in terms of winter performance. Right after I got them installed one of my buddies made the comment that "you're driving a bronco again". I'm sure none of it was completely necessary but I have had fun and wanted to share. I really think the 285's (which are standard on a Badlands) are a really good compromise tire for anyone who wants a little more than the factory Big Bend tires, and they will keep me happy till summer when I get my 315's out again.
Ford Bronco My Tire Journey with a 2dr Black Diamond SAS (3 sets of tires in 3 months) PXL_20220111_144902530
Sponsored

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll vouch for these tires in Winter as well. They will be my winter setup, as I shop for larger tires and different wheels for soring/summer. They've done great so far in 3-6" snow, slush, etc. Can't speak for how they'll do on black ice yet, but the weight distribution of the Bronco, Slippery Mode, and the KO2s has really kept this thing from getting squirrely so far.

darkscion0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow, I really think you're over thinking tires. Also FYI, if you're not using a programmer to account for the change in tire size the gas savings you're seeing may be incorrect. Putting a smaller tire on a vehicle makes it think it's travelling further than it actually is because 1 rotation of a smaller tire doesn't go as far. It throws off the speedo and gas mileage.

OP
OP
IGOAT2drBD

IGOAT2drBD

Everglades
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Wow, I really think you're over thinking tires. Also FYI, if you're not using a programmer to account for the change in tire size the gas savings you're seeing may be incorrect. Putting a smaller tire on a vehicle makes it think it's travelling further than it actually is because 1 rotation of a smaller tire doesn't go as far. It throws off the speedo and gas mileage.
Yes, I am WAY overthinking it :), like I said it's been more about the fun of playing with different setups. And yes, I have been adjusting the tire sizes as I go in ForScan.

Sponsored

darkscion0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good stuff. I went from the Sasquatch Goodyears to Nitto Mud Grapplers as I was concerned about the tire durability of the Goodyears. Also, keep an eye on the Goodyears throwing gravel. The lugs are the perfect distance apart to pick up and throw gravel.

Yes, I am WAY overthinking it :), like I said it's been more about the fun of playing with different setups. And yes, I have been adjusting the tire sizes as I go in ForScan.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

does the fuel economy calculate correctly with the different size tires that's programmed?

OP
OP
IGOAT2drBD

IGOAT2drBD

Everglades
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Good stuff. I went from the Sasquatch Goodyears to Nitto Mud Grapplers as I was concerned about the tire durability of the Goodyears. Also, keep an eye on the Goodyears throwing gravel. The lugs are the perfect distance apart to pick up and throw gravel.
Yeah, I found out that the hard way, I have mud flaps and a vinyl protective strip on the bottom of the vehicle to help prevent any more...

OP
OP
IGOAT2drBD

IGOAT2drBD

Everglades
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

does the fuel economy calculate correctly with the different size tires that's programmed?
As far as I know, once you get the right circumference into the car's computer brain mpg, speed and odometer should be accurate.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As far as I know, once you get the right circumference into the car's computer brain mpg, speed and odometer should be accurate.
I like the review.

My Black Diamond (Non-Sas 4dr) is being delivered at the end of the month, and I want to upgrade to 285/70/17.....

I just cannot decide which tire to go with....seems like each one (generals, KO2's, Coopers, etc) all have a certain strength.....my desires are a more aggressive looking tire, but NOT loud and not stiff or heavy....I started to go with the Generals, but can only find "E" rating.....

How are the KO2's for noise?

Sponsored
OP
OP
IGOAT2drBD

IGOAT2drBD

Everglades
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

I like the review.

My Black Diamond (Non-Sas 4dr) is being delivered at the end of the month, and I want to upgrade to 285/70/17.....

I just cannot decide which tire to go with....seems like each one (generals, KO2's, Coopers, etc) all have a certain strength.....my desires are a more aggressive looking tire, but NOT loud and not stiff or heavy....I started to go with the Generals, but can only find "E" rating.....

I think the KO2's are good as far as noise goes. I also really like the feel of them, they are smoother than the 255/75's I had. Honestly, I haven't had any issues with noise on any of the tires I have had, the car is noisier than your average car, and as far as I can tell little to none of it is tire noise. Most noise is wind-related in my opinion.

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I like the review.

Consider Falken’s A/TW3. They are available in 285/70R17, C load. That’s what I put on my 2D BD. So far they’ve been great. Quiet on the road, great in the snow (they have a 3 Peak rating), good in light mud, and great on desert dirt roads. I have yet to rock crawl with them so I can’t speak to that. Overall I like them more than the KO2s.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Consider Falken’s A/TW3. They are available in 285/70R17, C load. That’s what I put on my 2D BD. So far they’ve been great. Quiet on the road, great in the snow (they have a 3 Peak rating), good in light mud, and great on desert dirt roads. I have yet to rock crawl with them so I can’t speak to that. Overall I like them more than the KO2s.
Cool, I'll check those out. Do you know off the top of your head if they have white letters? I like that look.

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Cool, I'll check those out. Do you know off the top of your head if they have white letters? I like that look.
I don’t know if they offer them with white letters. Mine don’t have them.

shimmy825

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was fortunate enough to get my Bronco back in October and I love it. Black diamond 2dr with the 2.3L engine. I love everything about this Bronco. I have 2 kids and we've already road-tripped to Florida from Michigan in it. Totally worth it to be able to take the top off and cruise around the beach towns of southern Florida.

I wanted to share my experiences and choices with tires. I have now had 3 different sets on my Bronco. I started with the factory Goodyears that come with the sasquatch package, 315/70/17. Overall I really like the look and the performance of the sas wheels and tires, I plan to use those in the Michigan summers and any time I want to actually go off-road intentionally. BUT for a couple of reasons, I planned to not ride with those tires/wheels all the time. First I was concerned about tread life on the larger more expensive tire. I drive my Bronco as a daily driver and put a lot of miles on it.

My second concern was winter driving. My brother-in-law is the huge gear head and works for Ford as an engineer. Grated not on the Bronco but still someone I trust and take advice from on all things automotive. The story he told me in that Ford was dead set on a mud terrain tire for the sas package, but that the tires they were using for their internal testing were not passing the snow/ice test so they had to ask Goodyear to modify the tire to pass the tests, well those changes made the tires not a true mud terrain tire, so the MT on the SAS tires actually stands for Maximum Traction, not Mud Terrain. NO idea if it's true or not, but the idea was that he was worried how well the SAS MT's would do in the Michigan winters.

Factory Wheels and Tires
Ford Bronco My Tire Journey with a 2dr Black Diamond SAS (3 sets of tires in 3 months) PXL_20220111_144902530

My first attempt to solve my "problems" was buying a set of take-off wheels from a Bronco Big Bend that someone at my dealer switched out. I know a guy so I got them cheap for a set of wheels and tires, they came with the 17" wheels that are not unattractive along with a 255/75/17 Dueller A/T tire. I was hoping to use these in the winter to maybe increase my fuel efficiency and keep the wear and tear off my SAS tires. These are the tires I used to drive to FL. I was happy with my slightly increased fuel economy vs normal commute highway driving. BUT they left me feeling neutered...

Factory BB Wheels and Tires

Final Solution: after I got home I decided between the looks and the questionable snow/winter rating on the Duellers I wanted something else for my winter tires. So I ordered a set of 285/70/17 KO2's mounted on the factory BB wheels I have. I love these, they look great! They are so far slightly more fuel-efficient than the SAS tires while also being one of the most highly rated A/T tires I could find in terms of winter performance. Right after I got them installed one of my buddies made the comment that "you're driving a bronco again". I'm sure none of it was completely necessary but I have had fun and wanted to share. I really think the 285's (which are standard on a Badlands) are a really good compromise tire for anyone who wants a little more than the factory Big Bend tires, and they will keep me happy till summer when I get my 315's out again.
Mind if I ask how old your kids are and how you felt schlepping them around in the two door?
Sponsored