Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Six clicks right. One click “up”.

If you know you know. Accept no substitutes. Traction control is in the foot of the beholder. #baja #killA.S.S.

if the back end doesn’t come out on ya every now and again your doing it wrong. I got sideways yesterday in a light rain. 315s gotta eat.
Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wait. You guys were serious? Hahah. It’s common sense.
When the camera body has no lens mounted to it, it’s susceptible to foreign particles like dirt, dust, lint, pollen etc , all of which could land on your sensor and show up in images. Remove and install lens with body opening facing downward, this allows any foreign particles that may be in there to fall out, and reduces the likelihood off other stuff falling into it.
As someone who doesn't own a camera with a detachable lens, that makes perfect sense but I wouldn't have known it intuitively

Bronc_Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This has always been true of 4wheel drive.

I will say this however, on day one in the driveway I was scrolling goat modes and at one point in normal mode manually clicked on the rear locker.

The goat mode will reset after you turn off the vehicle. The locker when activated on it's own will not reset. I ended up driving 2 blocks with the locker on. (No harm done - it's not instant death to drive on dry pavement with these things on.)

So that is something to be aware of.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but I've had my manual Bronco for 6 months, 6,000 miles, and don't use the GOAT modes when 4wheeling. I just push the 4H or 4L button. Occasionally when going up a steep, rocky hill I push the rear differential lock button. That's it.

I do use the dial for Sport mode a lot when on pavement in 2H, it's much better power. It's somewhat irritating if I then drive onto dirt and slow down, try to push the 4L button, and the popup says "cannot use that in that mode" or some such. Then I have to turn the dial back to Normal. I suppose I should learn the GOAT more, but I've done hours of extreme rocks, heavy sand, driving through creeks (down them...not across them) without worrying about GOAT. Look up Mineral Creek trail outside of Ouray, CO. Is a creek Slippery or Sand or Mud/ruts? It has all three. I don't worry about trying to figure it out. I push 4L and lock the rear diff.

Last edited:

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't think that the Mods should have edited this thread. There is no PSA here. The info provided, while correct, is akin to "push the clutch in before shifting into 1st". You want to be able to shift 4wd modes up to certain speeds.... When encountering unexpected snow on a highway, for example.

The way this thread is titled though, it made me think that you could accidentally end up fully locked-in (diffs) at speed (and not realize it) by twisting the knob, but I don't think that's the case; according to a question I posted a while back.

Aren't there safeties that prevent shifting into modes that aren't recommended when at speed?

Sponsored

Bronc_Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ll be vulnerable here. I’m new to 4x4 vehicles and new to Off-Roading. I was recently on some trails and in 4H. I finished up and hopped on the County highway. I was 10 miles down the dry paved road going 65 before I realized I never pushed the button back. Took care of that and considered myself thankful I caught it quick.

I was shitting my pants hoping I didn’t screw anything thing up. All seems to be fine. I just don’t have that muscle memory yet and not having a physical lever certainly makes it less obvious. I’m a bit worried about my wife doing the same this winter or if my dog steps on it without me noticing.

Follow up question…I live in Minnesota and we obviously get a lot of snow. Let’s say we got a fresh 3-6inches and the roads are still suspect. Am I good driving in 4H and not going over 50-56 until they are plowed and starting clear up from sun/salt melt?
In snow, or even very wet conditions 4H is fine on pavement.

Going in a straight line on dry pavement at speed (what you did) is also fine. The problem happens when turning on dry pavement and the inside wheel isn't slipping anywhere (in the gearing or where the rubber meets the road).

So if you are driving down a highway that has snow, dry, snow you're fine just leaving it in 4H, unless its a very windy road.

Bronc_Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but I've had my manual Bronco for 6 months, 6,000 miles, and don't use the GOAT modes when 4wheeling. I just push the 4H or 4L button. Occasionally when going up a steep, rocky hill I push the rear differential lock button. That's it.

I do use the dial for Sport mode a lot when on pavement in 2H, it's much better power. It's somewhat irritating if I then drive onto dirt and slow down, try to push the 4L button, and the popup says "cannot use that in that mode" or some such. Then I have to turn the dial back to Normal. I suppose I should learn the GOAT more, but I've done hours of extreme rocks, heavy sand, driving through creeks (down them...not across them) without worrying about GOAT. Look up Mineral Creek trail outside of Ouray, CO. Is a creek Slippery or Sand or Mud/ruts? It has all three. I don't worry about trying to figure it out. I push 4L and lock the rear diff.
Same.

Not having sport on Badlands is super annoying because I'd just prefer to pick my throttle sensitivity (I have a manual) and then apply eco, normal, sport, 2H, 4A, 4H, 4L, and lockers as I see fit.

Instead I end up in a GOAT mode that won't either do 4H or 4L like I want.

Though if you can't put sport into 4L that would put me in the same spot I am now I guess.

The goat modes would be drastically improved it it wasn't a scroll wheel. I have one hand on the steering wheel and one on the clutch - which I have to free up long enough to scroll through 7 modes to find what I need, for a section of trail that will last 15 seconds.

Much easier to just leave it in normal and press 4H/L and locker buttons as I want.

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm frustrated that you have no way to know which way to turn the dial for the various modes. It's easy to turn to one that initiates 4wd...
It's shown on the dash what you select I don't know how much easier it could be

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Same.

Not having sport on Badlands is super annoying because I'd just prefer to pick my throttle sensitivity (I have a manual) and then apply eco, normal, sport, 2H, 4A, 4H, 4L, and lockers as I see fit.

Though if you can't put sport into 4L that would put me in the same spot I am now I guess.

The goat modes would be drastically improved it it wasn't a scroll wheel. I have one hand on the steering wheel and one on the clutch - which I have to free up long enough to scroll through 7 modes to find what I need, for a section of trail that will last 15 seconds.

Much easier to just leave it in normal and press 4H/L and locker buttons as I want.
How much in a rush are you?

Originally you would have to get out lock the hubs, put trans in neutral, and manually shift a gear driven transfer case. So pushing a button and/or turning a dial a problem?

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Same.

Yep, that's why I don't mess with GOAT. I can condense all the pages in the manual. The only rules with a manual is stop and push in the clutch when going in/out of 4L. Unlock the rear diff and go to 2H on pavement. The software won't let you do anything wrong, it tells you on the screen what to change if you are trying.

I agree it's easier to push a button from 4H to 4L when you typically need it - when it's getting hairy going up a hill or you need better torque. I don't want to be spinning a dial and looking at the screen when it's white knuckle driving.

My wife and I were doing the Alpine Loop in Colorado a month ago, several 12,000 foot passes had JUST opened up that week, and still had lots of snow across the trails, spring runoff creeks going down the middle in places, boulders. 4Low is needed but only used up to about 15 MPH. Then you'd be in 4High for 5 minutes in great condition roads....then back to "I need 4Low". Having a button and it shifts in 2 seconds is better than spinning a dial and waiting for 10, when in the middle of a glacier and there is a 1,000 foot cliff 6 inches from your tire.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's shown on the dash what you select I don't know how much easier it could be
Before I assured myself that I wouldn't accidentally lock my diffs or go into 4L while speeding, I was hesitant to turn the knob myself.... The goat modes don't appear until after you turn the knob.

Bronc_Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How much in a rush are you?

Originally you would have to get out lock the hubs, put trans in neutral, and manually shift a gear driven transfer case. So pushing a button and/or turning a dial a problem?
Not really my concern.

In summary, GOAT modes don't offer me an advantage over being in "Normal" mode and choosing my traction modes independently.

Leaving it in normal and pressing a button or two is faster than scrolling through goat modes and then still maybe having to hit a button or two.

Not just faster, because sure it's only a second, but also blind. I know where physical buttons are and can touch them without looking.

Additionally with the manual, a good chunk of the different driving modes is moot.

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As someone who doesn't own a camera with a detachable lens, that makes perfect sense but I wouldn't have known it intuitively
that was exactly my point for the people talking about the 4wd modes being 'common sense' ;) .. it's NOT common sense for those who have no experience with a 4wd vehicle :)

We have an opportunity here to welcome people new to the 4wd scene, and not belittle them by making them feel like it should be 'common sense' :)

Bronc_Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
that was exactly my point for the people talking about the 4wd modes being 'common sense' ;) .. it's NOT common sense for those who have no experience with a 4wd vehicle :)

We have an opportunity here to welcome people new to the 4wd scene, and not belittle them by making them feel like it should be 'common sense' :)
I don't think anyone is belittling anyone.

Well, okay we all know those people...

But the point is, this isn't the first off-road vehicle to market. Plenty of people with zero 4x4 experience also by Jeeps, or 4Runners or Land Rovers, and ultimately its on them to make sure they learn how to operate them.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Agree 100%. I'm just tee-ing your point up for you ;)
Sponsored