Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Preach on bro! First 4wd i had that you could shift on the fly was an S10. Or was itva Cherokee. Anyway those you had to shift only under 50 mph or so. Our Broncos can be shifted in and out at any speed.

Also. If they had to drive a car without 1st gear synchro they would destroy it in a minute. Double-clutching can become a habit
I remember having to putting the old Bronco in reverse to make it easier to “unlock” the hubs which you had to do by getting out of the Bronco
Sponsored

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love "slippery" mode. I turn on the power distribution screen and watch the power shift as needed.

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll just leave this here:

How many of you know what happens when you hold the Traction Control button for 5 seconds?

*Secret level unlocked*

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It’s an option but I bought mine off the lot to see if I liked this kind of vehicle enough to wait a year and drop 60+k on one. I didn’t get to pick my options, it was all that was available.

Turns out it’s my dream vehicle.
Yep, non Sas BB is not available with 4A, too bad. But in your described scenario 4H will be fine, plus remember 4H can be engaged and disengaged at will at speed.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just one correction... In 4L, the auto transmission is limited to gears 1-7. It will not shift into 8-10.
Really??,,,and I thought I knew everything...Bronco anyway..huh

Sponsored

DanielIvan

Outer Banks
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is actually very helpful. This Bronco is my first off-road ever vehicle so my knowledge of 4x4 is not there. I don't know what half the stuff means so whenever I go on a trail I just swap back and forth between the mud and sand goat modes depending on the kind of dirt I'm on. Since I have the OBX, I don't get the rock crawl or Baja modes so I never really thought much of those. But can someone confirm if I am doing ok? Thanks in advance.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'll just leave this here:

How many of you know what happens when you hold the Traction Control button for 5 seconds?

*Secret level unlocked*
Ya, disables ESC* and TC*, as opposed to only disabling TC alone with a single press. Do I get a cookie?

* -Not all nanny systems are fully disabled, but the majority are.

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ya, disables ESC* and TC*, as opposed to only disabling TC alone with a single press. Do I get a cookie?

* -Not all nanny systems are fully disabled, but the majority are.
I’m out of cookies but will you take a pineapple pizza?

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is actually very helpful. This Bronco is my first off-road ever vehicle so my knowledge of 4x4 is not there. I don't know what half the stuff means so whenever I go on a trail I just swap back and forth between the mud and sand goat modes depending on the kind of dirt I'm on. Since I have the OBX, I don't get the rock crawl or Baja modes so I never really thought much of those. But can someone confirm if I am doing ok? Thanks in advance.
When I did the rodeo, the guide had me leave it in sand mode the whole time, even tho we were in mud.

t3n2and4

Badlands
First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, F150, VW CC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As for the comments regarding slippery mode and dry pavement using 4A.

I can't say that is a mistake for sure. If you use 4A in normal mode, the drive train will switch to 4wd and 2wd as needed. In slippery mode, 4wd never deactivates. I can't say what happens in sport mode. Maybe someone can chime in.

I realize how 4A is suppose to work regarding the clutch to allow slippage, but I'm just pointing out something I've noticed using slippery mode vs normal when in 4A.

You can watch you power output to each wheel under the offroad road and then power distribution on the dash.
That would make it more similar to 4H, and those cautions are because the front wheels are then required to not slip in the driveline - so you get binding risk when turning.

Sponsored

Pilsner

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 81 Bronco, 21 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Haha in other words, a 4 wheel drive vehicle with lockers takes common sense to operate.

Yup. Don't buy a vehicle you don't understand, or learn how to operate it. Don't randomly push buttons in a Rubicon either.

DanielIvan

Outer Banks
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Good question, does your build have 4A ?
Yes it has 4A, 4L, and 4H which those are the ones I'm not too sure about so I stayed away from manually operating those and just stuck with the GOAT modes.

DanielIvan

Outer Banks
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
When I did the rodeo, the guide had me leave it in sand mode the whole time, even tho we were in mud.
That's kind of what I do too honestly. The trails I've gone on are pretty loose dry dirt, so I just figured closest type of terrain to that would probably be sand. Once the ground gets harder, or if I see like mud trenches then I'll swap over to mud/ruts. But that's it. Other than to try trail turn assist once, I do not manually operate the rear locking diff, or the manual 4H, 4L, 4A settings or one-pedal drive and this is just simply due to not knowing how it affects the Bronco.

OP
OP
Lucchese

Lucchese

Black Diamond
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Black Diamond, '90 4Runner, + bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes it has 4A, 4L, and 4H which those are the ones I'm not too sure about so I stayed away from manually operating those and just stuck with the GOAT modes.

well there's the rub,
- the GOAT Modes Mud/Ruts or Sand automatically default to 4H locked 4WD, and they also automatically engage the Rear Differential Locker by default - so w those GOAT Modes you're already selecting a fairly extreme locked 4WD configuration, which is only meant for really loose slippery surfaces and will cause binding/stress/wear on the more solid surfaces - even regular dirt roads will cause some binding & wear

another approach uses the locked 4WD only when it's really needed - in this style you can use 4A w GOAT Normal or Sport most of the time - then if the situation gets really slippery, you then activate 4H or 4L
- after you get past the really slippery section, you switch back to 4A

opinions vary - people have different styles - and whose drivetrain lasts longer ?

DanielIvan

Outer Banks
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
well there's the rub,
- the GOAT Modes Mud/Ruts or Sand automatically default to 4H locked 4WD, and they also automatically engage the Rear Differential Locker by default - so w those GOAT Modes you're already selecting a fairly extreme locked 4WD configuration, which is only meant for really loose slippery surfaces and will cause binding/stress/wear on the more solid surfaces - even regular dirt roads will cause some binding & wear

another approach uses the locked 4WD only when it's really needed - in this style you can use 4A w GOAT Normal or Sport most of the time - then if the situation gets really slippery, you then activate 4H or 4L
- after you get past the really slippery section, you switch back to 4A

opinions vary - people have different styles - and whose drivetrain lasts longer ?
Oh wow. Very good info thank you. I had no idea that you could use normal mode and just turn on 4A. That would probably be more than capable enough for the kind of trails I go on. In what type of situation is it advisable to lock the rear diff?
Sponsored